JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I really do feel we are approaching the end game."

How long has this idea been predicted?

As in repent sinners, tomorrow the world ends.

Sigh, what a wimpy philosophy...

How many here are the glass is half empty types?

The proverbial glass is neither half empty or half full: It's the wrong size!
The glass isnt just half empty its cracked leaking.

The world is certainly turbulent, but if you look at current times the context of history, things have certainly been worse.

I'm not saying having some basic preparations for rough times is bad, I certainly do, but I think that the SHTF that is most likely for most of us, is to be old, broke, and in poor health. That's what I spend most of my energy trying to prevent. Then down the list to zombies and EMPs. ;)

I agree. I do try to keep things in context compared to say, WW2, or the cold war.

I also agree that the most likely outcome is the status quo. Financially, we should always prepare long term and for retirement.

More than half the things I listed would lead to a happy healthier life SHTF or not, a garden, projects, and community are all good things at any time.

That said, I have been watching a Youtuber called John Mark. He makes some pretty good points about why a civil war is almost garenteed in america, and it is not firearm related. Obviously that is just one perspective. But things have certaintly felt like they are accelerating towards that end the last few months.

Everyone's situation is different. What will work for us may not work for others, what may work for others might not for us.

Cut down debt, if you have any.

Ways to cut expenses vary wildly, depending. Budget. Reduce entertainment $ for quality time. Consider cutting cable, internet, or both.

Pay cash for large expenses, and go used. Vehicles are an easy large expenditure, where buying used outright can save bundles if done well.

Get in some extra exercise. Can't jog? Walk more etc. The long term $ savings of maintaining good health, aside from being around your loved ones longer, can't be stressed enough. See the thread on here where a member went Keto, @arakboss, : test results after eating low carb high fat since for a few months

Have some time? Perhaps consider taking up gardening.

Buy foods in bulk if the price is decent, and saves multiple trips otherwise. Both time & money savings.

Buy clothes discount/closeout etc.

Learn to reload.

NOTE, not for the $ savings TODAY, but for the skill, the hobby, better loads and being able to go to the range whenever you may like IN THE FUTURE. Without ( as much) concern over blight/costs etc. While component prices (retail) have not come down along with the market of manufactured ammunition, specials are around. Great time to stock up!

At least stock up on manufactured ammunition, however budget accordingly.

Same goes for any new to you all firearms, minding your budget.

It really is a buyers market, just be mindful that the market will be incredibly volatile as the election hype & propaganda gets further into swing.

Same goes for any accessories you might be thinking on.

Someone on another board posted up how they were quite pleased over getting 30rd pmags from PSA at ~$9.50 shipped, another member there pointed out that THEY bought them for $7.99 free shipping just over a month ago.

...Well that's just super, if anyone happens to have a time machine! $9.50 is a decent price, considering they were unobtainable (about) during the last blight.

So in short, you all "should" allready be set. But if your not, just get a plan put together & work on it. Some parts of it may actually work out...

Preppers rejoice - the end is nigh!

Psssst, it isn't, but all that freeze dried this and that, spam, tuna and sardines are waiting for you to dig in!

Eat up before the big boogieman thing makes it's appearance.

(psssttttt, I 'knew' I wasn't wasting my money on all that stuff in my warehouse, I mean home...)

Psssst, it isn't, but all that freeze dried this and that, spam, tuna and sardines are waiting for you to dig in!

(psssttttt, I 'knew' I wasn't wasting my money on all that stuff in my warehouse, I mean home...)

Again, stocking up, particularly on consumables, is a money & time savings. Done well.

Done poorly, sure anything is & will be wasteful.

My grandparents lived through the great depression. They had a vast cellar full of canned goods until they died. That used to be the norm. Going to the store every day for what you need that day, is a very recent, and potentially quite dangerous trend.

You do realize prepping is not a new concept and has nothing to do with the 'boogieman' as you put it. My grandparents went through the great depression and lived on potatoes and tomatoes only for several months. When things got better, they stored food so they would not suffer like that again. Our mocking and arrogant current generation forget, or simply ignore their existence hangs by a little thread called electricity. Cut it and see what happens...the mockers will be killing and eating their own in short order.

aaaahhhhh, jeeze, no sense of humor for the 'dark lining in every silver cloud' crowd...

Please lecture me about tough times, I need it.

Nah, please don't.

I lived a pauper's life for decades and I do mean pauper...like sleeping on the ground, underpasses (before it was cool) abandoned cars, not eating for days at a time...you get the picture eh, bleak it was...Dickensian even.

Now, old, wrinkled, well off, I don't worry.

I 'know' dark times and I don't see them ahead, but enjoy feeling hopeless if that's what you like, I'm not joining in...

Bullets, beans & bandaids. Start there.

Food
Water storage plus several methods for purification
First aid, medical supplies & back up any medications you & yours may need
Communication equipment & ancillary equipment
Firearms & ammo, mags, etc. to defend it all.
Train and practice all of the above

My place has three water sources plus rain catchment. Secure your water sources and know that water is life.

Something else, The Rule of Threes. "One is none, two is one, etc." In other words, you should do your best to have backups for critical equipment. Back up your backups.

I've been doing this for many years and from what I've observed of new folks is that it's more important to start prepping than worrying.
Go with what you have, add what you can when you can.

Much of prepping is just basic common sense and using your noodle.

Best wishes.

I 'know' dark times and I don't see them ahead, but enjoy feeling hopeless if that's what you like, I'm not joining in...

Having the supplies and know how to ride out some of the more common emergencies like natural disasters gives me a sense of great well being. Knowing my kids would go hungry if I couldn't get to a store or if the trucks couldn't, would make me pretty anxious.

BTW, you can go to Costco or a similar store and buy enough beans & rice to keep you alive for pretty cheap. Use that as your base for food supplies and stock up on canned meats, broth, sauces, etc.

Stock up on family favorites too if you're a family man. A treat during rough times can go a long way to ease tension and raise morale.

Camelfilter,

Ok, I guess my contempt for so many current and overbearing 'the sky is falling' threads is making me a bit caustic...

Yup.

No reason to go build a bunker & close the hatch.

However, there is also nothing wrong with recognizing problems in today's society, and taking personal responsibility for safety, security & general wellbeing.

What would be suggested for preparations?
Water, non-perishable foods, cash, guns and ammo, not necessarily in that order... Dont forget silver and gold as well, to hedge the future...

As DB Wesner said, a bit each pay period. It's the painless way to do it. Search online for the best ammo deals...

This years profit sharing/bonus is sitting in the safe as a nice neat pile of cash, just in case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top