JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where is the best place to buy bulk dehydrated foods ,like , eggs , milk , ect

There is no single "best place".

Latter Day Saints (Morman) Bishops Storehouse's are normally open to all public for a day or 2 every week. There pricing is pretty decent on #10 can packed dry goods (pasta, oats, flour, beans, rice etc). And about the best price for powdered milk (envelope packed for long term storage). If you don't have a bishops storehouse nearby, they also ship, but the pricing then isn't as good.

Excellent to get a very good base, without having to get into the process of Mylar packing bulk purchases into 5 gal buckets with O2 absorbers (25/50lb sacks of base goods, as an ex).

Winco will order in bulk bags of bobs red mill. Cash and carry will have various bulk bags in stock.

Remember, always stock what you eat & to rotate it out as well.

Don't forget whatever seasonings/spice you enjoy. Soy is inexpensive and handy.

Sugar and Salt can be stored indefinitely, won't go "bad". Repack into moisture free container with food safe moisture absorber-don't use O2 absorbers for sugar & salt.

Huge $ savings doing such, else you are losing money by not using it.

Some may be a defined loss, usually (for us) it's cooking oils (shorter shelf life). For us it's factored into the overall savings, so no big deal.

Locations for LDS storehouses (5 in Oregon, 6 in Washington):

Current Storehouse pricing (listed by the case, 6 #10 cans, or as in milk, case of envelopes):

Last Edited:
Cash is great and whisky for barter if things get really bad. However, think the left may riot if the election goes the wrong way. City of Portland residents may be really fustrated with local government if riots start. Awful if that happens.

Yes, there will be those that insist that one must always be preparing. Many of those may choose to spend a considerable amount of their available time planning for endless scenarios.

There perhaps are others that feel that they're content with their preparation levels (understanding that one of the most important keys to survival is mental attitude -- One ought not attempt to know how to solve every problem, One must merely know how to solve problems).

Those sorts may be choosing to focus more attention on that which is the important part of life. Living it.

Despite what it may seem. The world has never been safer than the present.

Until.....It isn't.

Welp, off to clean my guns to white-glove inspection level.

This is so situational dependent that nobody can give you an answer. Everyone is different.
For me, I'm financially stable, and just buy extra food at the store. I have enough to last a few weeks at home.
But... There is a river with only 2 bridges between my job, my wifes job, my kods day care, and our house. If I am south of the river, and there is an earthquake or major civil disturbance, going home will not be an option. With that in mind, I have several days worth of stuff in my truck, and meet up plans with my wife depending on which side of the river each of us is on. Remember that having 10 years worth of supplies only helps if you can get to it, or have it with you.

Well you might go to your local library and see what they have on ''survival", "food storage", gardening, butchering, economic collapse, etc. Lots of books out there on all of those, some are good, many are sucker bait trash. You might look at the various Bosnia and Argentina writers who wrote books on what it was like to survive an economic collapse (1000% inflation, to start, like Germany, Argentina, Bosnia had) and civil war (Bosnia).

Let's face it, if the USSA goes down the rest of the world is going in the flusher too. China will invade (they are already planning that and preparing for it, so expect that they will follow through the second the Demonrats get in office, check the gov't reports). The book "Jet Stream" is/was a self published book sold on Amazon and amazingly good, realistic and well thought out/written. Part of a trilogy, never saw the others. Trying to think of the book set in the SW when Mexico decides it is "time to take back the SW" ("Hear the Cradle Song". Another self published book that was EXCELLENT, slight pro-America/pro-White theme might make it unsuitable for idiots or stupid people. Another trilagy that just seemed to stop).

If (realistically, WHEN) the economy collapses (the US Gov't owes more than all the money in the world combined), expect a race war too. Too many good reports and gov't manuals to list here, easy enough to find on the net. Just go to La Raza (The Race), Black Panther Party web site, Southern Poverty Law Center site (get barf bag, it gets pretty deep and completely off the wall goofy there. My favorite was a bunch of farmers in their 80s and 90s that went to the Amana Village Rest for Sunday dinner once a month were a "hate group". Beware the Amish Mob and hit men!), various Mormon "prepared" sites, Catholic sites (I might also mention that both of those groups still teach and support that, look at Mt. Meadows Mass, and WWII Spain/Russia), well the list is endless.

Well you might go to your local library and see what they have on ''survival", "food storage", gardening, butchering, economic collapse, etc. Lots of books out there on all of those, some are good, many are sucker bait trash. You might look at the various Bosnia and Argentina writers who wrote books on what it was like to survive an economic collapse (1000% inflation, to start, like Germany, Argentina, Bosnia had) and civil war (Bosnia).

Let's face it, if the USSA goes down the rest of the world is going in the flusher too. China will invade (they are already planning that and preparing for it, so expect that they will follow through the second the Demonrats get in office, check the gov't reports). The book "Jet Stream" is/was a self published book sold on Amazon and amazingly good, realistic and well thought out/written. Part of a trilogy, never saw the others. Trying to think of the book set in the SW when Mexico decides it is "time to take back the SW" ("Hear the Cradle Song". Another self published book that was EXCELLENT, slight pro-America/pro-White theme might make it unsuitable for idiots or stupid people. Another trilagy that just seemed to stop).

If (realistically, WHEN) the economy collapses (the US Gov't owes more than all the money in the world combined), expect a race war too. Too many good reports and gov't manuals to list here, easy enough to find on the net. Just go to La Raza (The Race), Black Panther Party web site, Southern Poverty Law Center site (get barf bag, it gets pretty deep and completely off the wall goofy there. My favorite was a bunch of farmers in their 80s and 90s that went to the Amana Village Rest for Sunday dinner once a month were a "hate group". Beware the Amish Mob and hit men!), various Mormon "prepared" sites, Catholic sites (I might also mention that both of those groups still teach and support that, look at Mt. Meadows Mass, and WWII Spain/Russia), well the list is endless.

I can assure you that if there is a race-war, it will not he one sided.

In times like these I remember the story of the grasshopper and the ant.

The Ant worked hard every day putting food away while the Grasshopper lazed about. When Winter came the Grasshopper was unprepared while the Ant was warm and well fed.

There is a reason this story dates back to antiquity. Real life lessons are timeless.

The Ant didn't start storing extra food when he heard Winter was close....he made it a habit to work hard every day.

I've always lived within my means, worked hard, and had a small reserve. I've never worried about a recession or civil disturbance.

^^^

This!

Cate

I am missing your point, if any. I never said anything about what side, which side, who's side, up side, down side or one side. A quick look at history will support what I said.
Maybe I misunderstood. All of the groups you listed are minority groups. I know there are quite a few white groups with some wild ideas too.

Never underestimate a book of edible wild plants for where you live.

You don't want to mistake wild celery for something that is lethal...

I plan on living off the land (cannibalism) . People can be used for a variety of things. Food, fuel, utensils, bowls, lamp shades, teepee construction. Like native americans i will waste no part.

Got some big ole buffalos in my hood, they ain't much to look at. But I bet slow smokin' will make them delicious.

I plan on living off the land (cannibalism) . People can be used for a variety of things. Food, fuel, utensils, bowls, lamp shades, teepee construction. Like native americans i will waste no part.

Got some big ole buffalos in my hood, they ain't much to look at. But I bet slow smokin' will make them delicious.
Be careful you don't bite in to a pacemaker, stint, titanium, etc.

"What would be suggested for preparations?"

Well, start learning about gardening.
It's a useful skill. This area presents some unique challenges, so if gardening is part of your plan remember that it's a constant learning experience.
It's not something you do to save $.

Re: Rototillers
A lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about gardening. One of them is the "need" for a rototiller.
Our neighbor has run his rototiller over his garden plot every year in preparation for planting and every year he has a luxuriant crop of weeds. There IS a correlation. A lot of weed seeds lie dormant in the soil and sprout upon exposure to light, so every year he guarantees himself a bounty of weeds.
We have raised beds and almost no weeds because we removed them as soon as they appeared until there aren't any. You can get the same results by doing the same in a ground level plot. Raised beds are great labor and back savers, but not necessary and rototillers can be downright counter productive.

Or, like me, don't sweat it.

Anxiety is not something with which I'm enamored, though many, many seem to enjoy it...

Complacency is your friend when others cry 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling'! Kick back and be happy!

This no-worries mon philosophy, is due perhaps to my being a geezer with many miles on the engine, plus living in an obscure part f the world. Yeah, if the shtf I'll be dead soon, but that's quite inevitable for me soon anyway...so there's that.

If hell on earth eventually visits think how happy (and dead) the 'global warmists' will be...back to the 1400/1500's of non-stop work simply to survive, not enjoy life, but survive...

Happy gardening and the upcoming 'buh-buy' at 35 tops longevity/life span''.

Sardines anyone?

What would be suggested for preparations?

e-When-in-danger-or-in-doubt-run-in-circles-scream.jpg

@tkdguy since you're in the Portland area this article may provide additional considerations. It's from a Canadian newspaper regarding Vancouver, BC. Historically they are not so forthright about the magnitude of the risk. Portland would face similar challenges.

A massive earthquake on B.C.'s South Coast could disrupt the flow of drinking water in and around Vancouver for several months, while bottled water and meal rations would likely be very difficult to deliver because of damage to the region's dozen bridges, says an internal case study for Canada's agriculture ministry.

The federal government wouldn't be able to help much: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC), the agency in charge of the response, would only be able to "facilitate" businesses and charities delivering such life-saving necessities, according to a March, 2018, case study and other internal documents obtained through freedom-of-information laws by Ottawa researcher Ken Rubin and passed on to The Globe and Mail.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top