JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a square of Army style hardtack which I made about 25 years ago. Used a period Civil War recipe, about 5/8s inch thick. Except for the lack of weevils its pretty darn authentic.

I was able to pound a 7d bright box nail about 3/8s of an inch into a pine board using the cracker recently. Seemed to work best on the edge. Barely any marks on the hardtack.

Neat video, will have to look at his others.

Hardtack is rather like jerky. Depends on who makes it. Use a poor cut of meat, dry it completely hard so it ends up 5/8" thick and you won't chew it either.
My grandmother made the best, taught to her by a German woman, my mother's was tolerably good too. it was never more than 1/8" thick, sort of flakey, it backpacked well in a tin I had. excellent with sardines, cheese, mustard and such. Soups and stews too.
Though traditionally it is thick like the English cracker or biscuit albeit harder, which I don't like either, but before you scoff at hardtacks viability, try it thin like a soda cracker, must be pricked it well, and cooked fast in a hot oven.
You can buy it in some stores in a stack that's about 12" round which are thin and a reasonable facsimile of what my family made though somewhat darker but is serviceable. look for it in German deli (I think maybe they use rye)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top