JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apparently King County will be distributing 1700 bleeding control kits to be installed in public spaces in a manner similar to AEDs. This combined with free and simple bleeding control training are aimed at helping the general public learn and have the equipment to render lifesaving aid while awaiting arrival of first responders. Local politics aside, this is a really smart move, one that should have been done decades ago. Hopefully we see a similar trend across the country.

Now that I work for Government, I noticed that we don't even have a first aid kit in our office.

We had an active shooter training this month. I asked "Where are the stop the bleed kits? " Hems and haws. A lady from finance leaned over to me and said "They are $400 each. Your not getting any."

Today, June 30, 2023, one can get a 4-pack of StBKits for $610 -- https://www.heartsmart.com/curaplex-advanced-stop-the-bleed-kit-4-pack-p?msclkid=5b6dc309cc0815b4cb7da796592a163a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) DSA - Search&utm_term=heartsmart&utm_content=All Webpages, so think your finance person has not really looked.

But a price increase as interest increases seems inevitable.

StB directly has an 8-pack for $590, https://www.bleedingkits.org/all-products/portable-stop-the-bleed-kits.html, about $74 each

And, from the first link, here's what's in the kits -
  • 1 QuickClot 3" wide combat gauze roll [44 at Chinook]
  • 1 Pack of H*VENT chest seals, 2 per pack [18.11 at Safeguard]
  • 1 C-A-T® tourniquet [25.28 at Galls]
  • 1 Permanent Marker
  • 2 Pairs of size large latex-free gloves
  • 1 Emergency bandage
  • 2 Rolls of compressed gauze dressing
  • 1 Pair of trauma shears
Seems cheaper to buy a kit than build your own,unless you already have that stuff. Happens I do, but many RNs are weird that way.

Probably worth the effort to find videos on-line showing how to use the things; actual classes would be good, too.

Last Edited:
Apparently King County will be distributing 1700 bleeding control kits to be installed in public spaces in a manner similar to AEDs. This combined with free and simple bleeding control training are aimed at helping the general public learn and have the equipment to render lifesaving aid while awaiting arrival of first responders. Local politics aside, this is a really smart move, one that should have been done decades ago. Hopefully we see a similar trend across the country.

Typical government groupthink. Ways to stop the bleeding, but no thought given to arming people against the threat.

When I was a radio technician, for the state of Washington, most of my mountaintop comm sites were in areas prone to wildland fires.
Some brain in Olympia mandated that ALL the states comm sites have "earthquake protection". When I suggested that we, on the east side, would be better served installing fire protection, as earthquakes over here are rare, I got the typical response.

We ended up earthquake proofing our buildings...I feel SO MUCH safer, now.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top