JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First I was into anything that shot a bullet, then got rid of alot of my commercial variants when I really got into milsurps of strictly common caliber, now I've become enamored with oddballs like .577 Snider, 7.5 French, .450/.577 Martini, and 8mm Hungarian. There are a few die hard rifles in my collection that have stood the test of time, but many have come, been enjoyed and then moved on.

I still always seem to have more and more each time though, so to answer the original question, 'No' :) .

Keith

I never really had the opportunity to have a real gun collection until I was 58 years old. I am now 61 and the only thing that stopped my gun buying is an overflowing safe and money I need for retirement. I had many hobbies when I was young, many motorcycles, many cars. I think I will be able to stick with the guns at my age. Won't be skydiving anytime soon. I reload almost eveything I shoot. The only thing I don't use very often are the rifles. As long as I don't need the money, I will never sell a gun ever again.
I hope to retire soon so I can maybe get into some local competition shooting. Stocking up on brass, bullets and powder, and some factory ammo.
Need to find a retirement home with a shooting range...

That is one of my big "excuses" for buying and having them on hand. That when I get to a point in life where I have more free time they will get the use they deserve. Also I am money ahead by buying now and saving for later.

People laugh when they hear how much .22 ammo I have on hand but I still have bricks I bought at $8.88/550rd. The stuff is now double that with the last stuff I bought at almost $19/550rds. I have cases of 7.62x39 that I paid $90/1000 shipped and it is well over double that now. This way not only do I not have to dig into funds in the future my $/round is much lower. Over the years the buy 2 shoot 1 method had gotten me a very nice supply of ammo without having to drop big $$$. Of course I reload too.

I have purchased, owned, and shot firearms since I got my first .22 when I was 11 years old back in 1963. I have never sold a firearm in my life, and never will. That will be my wife's job after I take a dirt nap. Through the years I have gotten involved with other interests as well.

Motorcycles, boats, ATV's, photography, have all spurred my interest at one time or another. I spent a considerable amount of money on all of them. I always managed to come back to firearms for several reasons. First off is they are one of the very few "hobbies" one can invest in and not lose money. Most every gun I own is worth more than what I paid for it. Granted, I buy new, shop wisely, and take very good care of them. Other than rare stamp and coin collecting, I know of few hobbies that afford this kind of financial protection.

As I get older and can afford more guns and more expensive guns, I find that many I purchase are for "collecting" rather than day to day shooting. I'm perfectly OK with this mode of enjoyment as well. One does not have to shoot a beautiful firearm to extract enjoyment from owning it. Yet another plus firearm ownership has to offer. I will never reduce my collection, but rather will continue to expand it. As I get older I find myself spending more time with firearms, both on and off the range. After almost 50 years of gun ownership I can't think of anything material wise that has given me more pleasure. So why mess with something that good?

People laugh when they hear how much .22 ammo I have on hand but I still have bricks I bought at $8.88/550rd.

+1 !

I have many thousands of rounds of those as well. Prices on ammo will be going up, not down.

Federal22s003.jpg

Yes. I have sold a lot of guns in the past couple of years to consolidate types and calibers. For instance, the only pistols I own now shoot 9mm or .40 SW or .22lr. All are semi auto. The only rifles I have shoot 5.56/.223, .308/7.62, .22lr and I couldn't part with my beloved sub moa .270 bolt for deer/elk/sniping but I could use a .308 if needed. For shotguns, 12ga in various configurations and a couple have fully rifled barrels and rifle sights.

Every time I parted with a gun I either traded, or I used the money for more ammo or reloading materials.

I do have a few extra guns in case one breaks or I need to arm a relative who comes here in a bad situation, but I no longer need to own dozens of guns.

Yeah, I sold a gun once.....I still regret it.....I think about consolidating, but I'm still adding....I think when I get to the point that I am inundated with guns....I will store them with relatives.

I don't have a "Gun collection". I have guns I shoot for fun till I want another gun then the first gun is just hard currency to get the next one. No physical item is so important to me that I can't let it go. To me it isn't what you have but who you are in life. Old guys sell their guns it's like giving up part of their life, not me. I measure my life in other ways than what I own.

jj

I don't have a "Gun collection". I have guns I shoot for fun till I want another gun then the first gun is just hard currency to get the next one. No physical item is so important to me that I can't let it go. To me it isn't what you have but who you are in life. Old guys sell their guns it's like giving up part of their life, not me. I measure my life in other ways than what I own.

jj

(Hi Jim, Happy New Year by the way).

WHile I certainly don't have a "collection"-the number of guns I own is much too small
to be called a collection-I do collect a certain make and a caliber within that make: P series Walthers in 22LR. Now have a PPK, PPK/S and a TPH in that caliber.

In order to get these I've sold other pistols. Definitely won't sell any of the above and hope to add maybe one more in the PP line to my little collection(BTW-only one of these
I'd call a "safe queen"-the others I regularly take to the range-and use as an occasional
CCW-along with my equally trusty P238).

22lrfam.jpg

Last Edited:
I used to buy a gun and then after a few months I needed the money and I would sell it. Sometimes before it was even paid for. I have owned and used guns since I was 13.
I don't believe any one physical thing in this life holds much importance, people and right and wrong are the important "things".
My finances were never very good even though I worked all my life, then my wife left me and the kids. Kids are grown and gone and the one hobby I have is my guns and my reloading. It is not my life or my obsession, it is something I do in my spare time. I enjoy doing it and over the last few years I have bought a safe and filled it with guns. Very few of the guns are what you would call
terribly expensive. Call it hoarding or a "collection", it is something I enjoy and if I needed the money I would sell them all. I would like to retain one for a carry gun, but the only problem would be trying to get the best price for them, not any emotional attachments.
I did not set out to buy every gun I saw, I had the money and I ended up buying "too many" I suppose. Some people collect coins, some collect stamps, some collect wife's, never really had any collections before, if this is a gun "collection" then I guess I have one.
I also work on and repair computers, I own 4 computers, is that a collection of computers, is it too many?
There's a Beretta PX4 full sized I have had my eye on...but I need a bigger safe first.

Well maybe there is some of the difference. I have sold a few high end guns when I needed money in the past. I chose guns that had a high resale value that were my least favorite. My thought is I would rather sell 1 gun that I actually made money on then sell a few inexpensive guns that I am lucky to break even on. Again these were guns that were cool but had the least long term use for me.

I see many buy and sell to play with new things as they fit their fancy.

I think I have more of a collection. I have things like Trapdoor Springfield, 30-40 Krag, a 1903, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson 1927 and several other. Then I have newer stuff like IMI Galil, IMI Model 45 Uzi in 3 calibers. Then I have AR's including Colt SP1, A2, M4, ect. Then of course I have classic standbys like lever guns revolvers ect.

So to me having the collection and the set is the fun and enjoyment. In my old house I had actually built a secure room with all the stuff displayed on the walls. Hopefully in the next couple years I will be building a new house with a proper gun room again.

Nwcid wrote: "Like the title says have your ever though of or even actually thought about reducing the number of firearms you have? This could include all the support stuff for them, ammo, bags, mags, tools, ect.

I have been fascinated with firearms as long as I can remember. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling buying, playing with talking about, working on, owning, ect. It seems like over the last couple years, the last year especially I have not been as into them. I have been able to talk myself out of buying guns that I want and only bought 2 this last year and one I have not even shot. My usually excuse for not buying them is "What am I going to do with it, I dont use the ones I have now.

Any thoughts on how I am feeling? "

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts about selling some of the guns I haven't shot in years, then some part of me says, "DON"T DO IT!" I then begin to do the "what if" game? What if Oregon's gun laws become more restrictive and I will need thos single-column .45s and/or revolvers....? What if there's a SHTF scenario and I will need a gazillion guns/ammo....? What if there's a zombie invasion (see previous answer.......)....?

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts about selling some of the guns I haven't shot in years, then some part of me says, "DON"T DO IT!" I then begin to do the "what if" game? What if Oregon's gun laws become more restrictive and I will need thos single-column .45s and/or revolvers....? What if there's a SHTF scenario and I will need a gazillion guns/ammo....? What if there's a zombie invasion (see previous answer.......)....?

Oh I have a core of guns/ammo that I will never go anywhere that is for sure.

But outside of that I really enjoy guns so I have tons of calibers on hand. I have 30 different calibers I shoot/load for.

Yes. I have sold a lot of guns in the past couple of years to consolidate types and calibers. For instance, the only pistols I own now shoot 9mm or .40 SW or .22lr. All are semi auto. The only rifles I have shoot 5.56/.223, .308/7.62, .22lr and I couldn't part with my beloved sub moa .270 bolt for deer/elk/sniping but I could use a .308 if needed. For shotguns, 12ga in various configurations and a couple have fully rifled barrels and rifle sights.

Every time I parted with a gun I either traded, or I used the money for more ammo or reloading materials.

I do have a few extra guns in case one breaks or I need to arm a relative who comes here in a bad situation, but I no longer need to own dozens of guns.

This is the extent of my collection. 2 Rifle calibers, 2 Pistol Calibers and the .22lr for both. For the most part, I've stopped acquiring, and only have a few more, to have duplicates of all I own. 2*AR, 2*Beretta92, etc..

As far as the general sense of "when the hobby loses lustre" I think that other folks, as well as the OP in subsequent posts, has it right. It's an ebb and flow. Intense, then shelved, then a bit, then intense again.

And I'll second the statement about notifying those in the thread if you choose to reduce your collection ;)

I think it's normal to ebb and flow with hobbies. I've been building a Jeep for 10 years and every few years I'll really sink time and money into it. But I keep it around because I'd kick myself in the *** for selling it. The same way I feel about the 72 Chevelle I sold when I was 20 for $3k. Worth about $10k now. :( .
i keep thinking the same with the 76 IH Scout II i have

Why would I do that? Why would I mess with my children's heirloom? For as long as there is room in my safe... .
my son would kill me if I started selling the ones I dont use so much anymore.

No I prolly wont be selling mine off anytime soon. From the sounds of you collection, I pale in comparison. So NewYears resolution will be to increase the size of collection... Whens the next gun show??? And I think I just saw an AR-15 up in classifieds... hmmmm

I have one daughter that might take some interest in some of my revolvers, she hates autos. A brother-in-law who would sell them all and buy fishing stuff. Other wise I would have to be buried with them. No one else in the family would even want to open the safe. Maybe the safe would make a good coffin?
I really do not care what happens to my "collection" when I'm gone.
I never once purchased a gun with the thought of reselling it. I was only concerned about how dependable it might be and if it was accurate and if it was fun to shoot and often if it would make a good carry weapon or not, maybe a good range gun or not.
I never bought a gun thinking how much other people might like it, or if it would help with my social status in any way. Most people I know are aware that I own guns, but have no idea what kinds and how many.
New safe shopping tomorrow, got to make room for that Sig Sauer P250 I saw at the gun shop last week, or maybe a 9mm FNP?
Is this an obsession? Hard to say, wouldn't say it's unhealthy, there are far worse things to be doing. Remember the Japanese general who said they could not invade the US because there would be a gun behind ever blade of grass? Wouldn't want to change that fact. Even though some American officials would.

I sometimes use the "savings account" rationalization too. But it's just a rationalization since, if you have to liquidate in a hurry, you're likely to take a beating. As for prices going up, on old stuff, that's a supply and demand issue partly. Fixed supply, increasing number of interested buyer = increase in price. However the difference between what you paid for something versus what the same thing today costs new is in large part, in my opinion, a measure of the debasement of our currency by the constant government counterfeiting ("stimulus" etc.). That does make them a decent hedge on inflation, you're not really profiting from the increase, just not losing so much in real terms.

I have a couple of family heirlooms from the WWI and WWII so I do care what happens to my collection. I have a son who's passing interested and hopefully will become more so. And, I'm holding out for grandsons who'll share the "gene". Like Chris, I have a BIL who would just sell them off to buy whatever his latest toy desire is. Nothing has much value to him outside of the dollars. I am the polar opposite of that. Virtually everything has value to me. I have a couple of nephews who might be interested but the one most interested is also still a bit of a loose cannon in his early 20s so they won't go there. At least not yet.

I never thought about the fact that some people might consider a collection a status symbol. I've never done the new car/motorcycle/house/etc. status symbol thing so don't really get it. I buy them because they interest me. They may be historically interesting or mechanically interesting or usually both. Sometimes it's practical use, sometimes they're just a work of craftsmanship. Some people (most I think, judging from how proportionately few guns survive beyond two or three generations) look at a gun like they would a claw hammer or a pipe wrench. Use it up and throw it away or use it for the task at hand and sell it. I can't do that. There's something more to a gun than just a tool. Maybe it's the smell of Freedom.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top