JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says have your ever though of or even actually thought about reducing the number of firearms you have? This could include all the support stuff for them, ammo, bags, mags, tools, ect.

I have been fascinated with firearms as long as I can remember. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling buying, playing with talking about, working on, owning, ect. It seems like over the last couple years, the last year especially I have not been as into them. I have been able to talk myself out of buying guns that I want and only bought 2 this last year and one I have not even shot. My usually excuse for not buying them is "What am I going to do with it, I dont use the ones I have now".

I have not had time to use them much in the last couple of years because I have taken up other hobbies like motorcycle, scuba, ski patrol, ect which take up a lot of time. I do have a few guns that get used a bit. I have others that have not been shot in over 5 years. I have project guns that are half way done that have been sitting for more then a couple years. I have a box full of parts for one gun still sitting in the sealed shipping box they were delivered in last year.

My collection is large enough to easily arm a couple of squads and keep them shooting for a long time. I have a few "rare" (I use that term loosely) guns with production numbers under 5k or older harder to find guns. I feel bad not shooting them or properly taking care of them, yet I dont want to let them go either. I know they are not loosing any value sitting around and have no major plans for the money if I did sale. In theory I could replace them if I ever wanted them back but I got such good deals on this stuff it would cost way more to replace.

Any thoughts on how I am feeling?

I go through this all the time.

I'll find cool guns that I have always wanted, then they sit in the safe. I'm going to sell most of my collection and use the money for training.

Most of the fun in gun collecting is the hunt anyway. I don't have any guns that I cannot replace.
I don't have family heirloom guns though. That would change things.

I think it's normal to ebb and flow with hobbies. I've been building a Jeep for 10 years and every few years I'll really sink time and money into it. But I keep it around because I'd kick myself in the *** for selling it. The same way I feel about the 72 Chevelle I sold when I was 20 for $3k. Worth about $10k now. :(

If you are going away from "collecting" guns for awhile, just keep the ones that mean a lot or are your favorites (range gun, hunting rifle, carry gun etc.). You don't want to kick yourself later for selling your favorites...

Why would I do that? Why would I mess with my children's heirloom? For as long as there is room in my safe... And then, what's a new safe costs?

Thankfully, I started collecting in a stage in my life I no longer struggle financially. Firearms and hobbies have always been at the bottom of my low priorities list.

I've been reducing mine for a couple of years, but for diferent reasons. My reasons have been more logistical. So I have let go quite a few rifles and pistols, some have been replaced and some haven't. Basically I have just wanted to reduce the amount of clutter and overlap, so if it doesn't get carried, shot or target practiced with it left. Some are still on the block, but I am saving them for trades toward what I want. The only thing I let go of that I miss was a german made actual (not p6) p225. But I believe I can scratch that itch with a CCO sized 9mm 1911 if I can ever find one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I think about it now and then. I'll think "I should sell....." But then I quickly recover, regain my sanity, and change the subject.

I've never heard anyone say "I have one of those, I wish I had sold it". On the other hand, "I've heard the "I used to have one of those..." regret many times.

Lord willing, my son will have to deal with that quandary.

This is not a financial choice by any means.

I am in my mid 30's with no kids so that is not really an issue either. I would say 10-20% of my collection is family or "special" guns that would not go.

At this point is it not a matter of safes cost either. I have 4 now plus overflow guns sitting in corners. I have thought about one more safe but I truly have no room for it and I have 2 "gun rooms" in my house.

I have been a life long shooter and music fan. I decided a few years ago that I would sell my rare and collectable records that I never actually listened to and invest that money into firearms. We're talking low 5 digits here, not just a few records that I picked up at garage sales. I have no regrets at all in the sale. My advice to you is that you do what I did. I waited a full 9 months after deciding to sell my records to actually make the move. That way I was sure that I didn't make an impulsive liquidation that I would regret later. After that period not only was I sure of my decision, but I also had done about as much research as possible into my liquidation to be sure of the greatest return. No matter the size or value of your collection, patience and rational decision making can take "seller's remorse" out of the equation. Of course, scuba gear and motorcycles don't buy themselves and I'm sure we'd all be happy to help you in liquidating your colection. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Good points for sure.

Again not a financial choice or trying to fund other hobbies. Unlike guns other hobbies dont hold their value, once they are used they are used. So the other things I buy will be with cash.

This spring I bought a new ATV and financed the price of the ATV and paid it off in 7 months. All the accessories and other "add-ons" I paid cash for. This fall I did the same with a motorcycle. I financed the bike with plans to have it paid off in a year (shouldnt be hard) and all the tax and "add-ons" I paid cash for. Scuba stuff we have been keeping an eye out for deals and used gear. We have 90% of or gear and are into it for less then 1/2 of retail and will build and upgrade as needed.

I have loved guns forever.Actually my first ex got me into guns more than anyone. We bought a few but I sold most cause I didn't want them in an apartment or where there was partying going on.
After my second and almost third wife,I started collecting again.Had a nice safe full.10-15 rifles and any pistol that looked good when I saw it ,but only about 25.I bought and sold all the time.

Then I started living in my RV.Room and weight are a concern.Not to mention I'm just a screwdriver away from being thieved,so I cut it down considerably. Hunting stuff and a couple hand guns. But I always bought and sold as some other shinny object caught my eye.

Then I came into some money and decided to buy only what I really need. Yeah right. But I only have about 10-12 guns total now. Still in the RV but I don't pull it much so weight isn't a big problem.Just the security.
Now I will buy something and try it out,if it isn't the best thing since sliced toast,then I'll trade it off or sell for another one.
I don't like to sell just to sell.I used to sell stuff when money was tight or I just didn't shoot the gun much. But now I have time to shoot and no need to sell for the money.

And apparently you aren't the norm.The local shop told his partner they could make as much money renting the guns as often as we customers bring them back to trade for another

So if I had lots of room to store guns,even if I didn't shoot them much,I would only sell the gun I bought to make money on.I wouldn't sell very much though,I would just clean 'em,stick 'em in the safe ,turn the dryer on and close them up.
I mean what are they hurting,in the corner,out of the way?

I can see where you are coming from. My wife laughs at me because my hobbies tend to go in 6-12 month cycles. Since I do DC I don't usually stray to far from my gun passion though.

I agree with coctailer; sometimes the hunt is more satisfying than the kill. I've held guns in my hand that I wanted with cash in my pocket and walked away because I don't really 'need' another ____.

If/when you decide to thin the herd, those of us that have posted in this thread would appreciate the courtesy of a PM with first dibs :D

I have revolving interests that occupy my finances, guns, hot rods, motorcycles and watercrafts. In the past I've gone "all in" and then go "all out" to move to the next interest. Example, sold all my guns and motorcycles to complete my hot rod, then sold the hot rod to buy a boat, then sold the boat to buy a bike, etc. Last year, I thought I had way more guns than I needed and no motorcycle, so I sold off some and bought a bike. My "plan" is to keep my expenses moderate in my hobbies so I can partake in different hobbies.

My hobbies also rotate, im blessed as one of my hobbies (building hot rods) is also my job which quenches my desire to spend on my cars.
I also decided lately to get rid of a few guns, partly because of finances but more because i enjoy getting the new things and want to have cash on hand in case i want to buy at some point. Like im selling a few right now to finance a AR build because i love lego's ;). Also im getting rid of things that do me no good in a survival situation or are for EDC.
I see no reason to have a whole bunch of something when you dont use it. Let it go and let someone else enjoy it.
Ill give you an example. errr story lol.
So we are building a blown hemi for a customers car we are building and we go up to this guys house that has "some" hemi parts. Ok the guy has at least 16 complete hemi motors some with blowers, stacks of old hemi valvecovers stacked like 5 feet high, 2 32 ford roadsters (fiberglass) complete turn key cars. a 65,66, and 67 nomad, tons of old racing parts like magnesium wheels and manifolds, original M/T valve covers that are worth a fortune with the nostalgia race guys, a original all steel 32 ford 5 window with like 5000 miles on it. But of course he wont sell anything, or he wants to hang on to that because he might use it some day.
I see that as a waste, not only could he make a ton of money off all that stuff but he could help the hobby and help guys out with their cars.
IMHO its very selfish, not because i wanted to buy any of it cause honestly i cant afford it but because he just wants to show it off and say look at all i have and show it off. Of course i may be biased because i am of the belief that nothing goes with you anyway and what you have in this life wont mean a thing later :).
Either way there is a different school of thought on it.

Matt

Scuba stuff we have been keeping an eye out for deals and used gear. We have 90% of or gear and are into it for less then 1/2 of retail and will build and upgrade as needed.
One of the really big costs for scuba is the travel expense, at least if you want to do high quality warm water diving. The other is photo gear. I know more than a few people who travel with over $3000 in underwater photo gear when they go on dive trips.

Yeah travel is expensive for sure. We will be doing a lot of local diving just for fun and experience. Probably get 1-2 trips in per/year.

While I have an expensive DLSR and lenses for normal stuff the Gopro HD cams seem to be an amazing deal at $300.

Guns are Barbies for men. Sometimes you want a new Barbie or want to change Barbie's outfit or accessories. That often means trading or selling a Barbie or two, or three.

I never really had the opportunity to have a real gun collection until I was 58 years old. I am now 61 and the only thing that stopped my gun buying is an overflowing safe and money I need for retirement. I had many hobbies when I was young, many motorcycles, many cars. I think I will be able to stick with the guns at my age. Won't be skydiving anytime soon. I reload almost eveything I shoot. The only thing I don't use very often are the rifles. As long as I don't need the money, I will never sell a gun ever again.
I hope to retire soon so I can maybe get into some local competition shooting. Stocking up on brass, bullets and powder, and some factory ammo.
Need to find a retirement home with a shooting range...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top