JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am also looking at selling to consolidate. I've had as many as 30 semi automatics at once and most were common guns that can be easily replaced. I liked them because they were mine and when I bought it, it was my "fav" for a short time... until I found another I "had" to have. Lately I've been upgrading the quality of the guns I collect to cut the number back. For example, in the last year I sold 2 guns to buy a LNIB Kimber Gold Combat Stainless. I sold 2 other guns to buy a mint H&K P7, etc. I just put a Sig P238 on layaway and need to sell 2 to buy that one. When the new guns come out I like to wait 2 years before I buy a new one. Once I get the P238 I will want a Kimber Solo next. I already own a Kahr PM9, which I love, so I can't "justify" that move yet but may sell the PM9 to get the Kimber once all the kinks are worked out.

I'm selling and cutting back on the number of handguns I own but I am also using the funds to get "nicer" guns. I may sell 4 or 5 guns to get a nice Wilson Combat 1911 one day but the Kimber seems to have scratched that itch for now but who knows what tomorrow may bring. I have too many guns to shoot on a regular basis now but my goal is to get it to 12-15 really nice guns that I can shoot and enjoy for what they are. I don't like having non-heirlooms sitting in a safe, unusued, when I can sell them to upgrade my inventory and someone who will shoot it will get a very nice gun.

I often time think about this; sometimes I even do it.

Was watching "One Man's Wilderness" the other night - documentary about a guy who builds a cabin on a lake in the middle of Alaska, living there for 30+ years. He was right in the middle of Grizzly country, had moose and caribou running around, would shoot the occasional animal and eat it. This guy brought two guns up there with him: a Ruger Blackhawk .357 (his "big" revolver) and a sporterized 1903 30.06 rifle. That's it. I live in a suburban track home - what do I really need all of these guns for? Sure, collecting and finding them can be fun (and expensive), but once I've got it in the safe....not as important anymore.

And, if it all fit into a safe, I probably wouldn't mind so much. But it's all the other associated "stuff" that takes up room - ammo cans, rifle cases, cleaning supplies, magazines, etc.

I've sold some guns before and regretted it; I've sold others and never looked back. Hard to know how many, and which, I could sell w/o regret peeking its head in.

Ya, I consider selling something from time to time. But have only sold one (to eliminate one caliber). Besides being fun, interesting, and of course a useful tool, I consider firearms to be a reasonably good store of value in a world where just about everything else loses value over time. Unless I need the money, if I sell one it will be replaced by one I want more.

I've owned many different guns since I was about 21. (and that was a while ago, to be sure) A few years ago I had a whole bunch. Many that I hardly looked at, let alone shot, and I had a car that I hadn't driven for over 20 years that I really wanted to play with again. So...what did I do?
I sold about 2/3 of the guns I owned. Even sold my 02 Yamaha YZ and put my car together. I had a bunch of stuff that was cool and valuable, so I made sure that I got good money out of them. I also traded some for others to play with before they got sold. Do I regret selling any of them? No, not really.
Recently I've bought, sold and traded a few more. I do have the ones that I need. (hunting, EDC, etc)

Then there are the "family" guns. The ones that have been handed down to me. THOSE are never for sale.

I have sold almost all of my firearms and used the money to replace them with much higher quality guns. I prefer to have one nice gun that is built to suit than 10 guns I don't care about. All of my guns now are used, if they are not used they are gone. I may have some high dollar firearms, and a couple of lower dollar ones, but they fit me and they are well used. When I get the money my shotgun and CF rifle will be upgraded to exactly what I want. I basically kept trading and building and buying and selling till I found the ones I really like and am sticking with them. I have a couple more 22's to thin out and I am done selling.

The only one I won't sell is my great grandfathers Savage Sporter 22lr he bought new. That one gets passed on.

In some small ways, I guess I have a small obsession. During the many years I was broke and could barely hold onto one gun, I felt cheated. I replaced some of the guns I had to sell back then to make up for those hard times. But I don't regret doing it. I still like all my guns. Some people are collectors and some people think collectors are crazy. I still do not believe the reason I have guns is to impress anyone, not even myself. I never have enough time to shoot as much as I would like. I never have enough time to reload as much as I like. When I finally retire I guess I will find the time to learn if I truly like shooting and reloading or if I get bored with it. I can't wait to find out!

I am in the process of reducing now to become some what of a minimalist. I was assessing my collection and realized that I had 7 22 rifles, in every shape and size. Picked the one that was the longest lasting and most dependable (SS 77/22 w/timney) and sold most of the rest. Center fires-decided to reduce to all 22 and 30 calibers for the simplicity and ease of stocking the reloading cabinet, except my 45-70 lever and S&W scandium 44. I was looking through reloading supplies and had 17, 22, 243, 25, 270, 284, 300, 338, 375, 44, 45. I am just about down to a VSSF 223 factory but trigger, Model 7 308 w/HS precision full length aluminum, 77/22 SS, Marlin 45-70, SW 44.

The 77/22 for plinking
The 223 will take any small critters
The 308 loads are about equal to factory 3006, good for anything in the lower 48
The 45-70 loaded with Barnes is for Alaska griz, 44 for back up, haha. (family there so fairly cheap hunt)

It has pained me to see a few go, but as mentioned, there are few one of a kinds. I sold enough to finance an extra snowmobile that I use all the time (when it snow, grrrr) and have not looked back. I was paying 300 a year for NRA insurance because most homeowners policies cover 2500 including accesories. I still look longingly at some of the new rifles, and really want a 1860 Henry repro, but I can throw just as much lead with what I have now. It is not for everyone, but I enjoy the simplicity and lack of clutter in the gun room.

And of course my Winchester 9422 purchased when my Dad found out he was having a boy, yet to be fired must be kept.

I have a couple of guns listed for sale in Oregon if anyone is not ready to clear out the collection.

All listed in Classifieds

My 2 cents, probably only worth about a penny today though!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads