JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gone are the days where I can throw the entire collection in the car and shoot them all. On my trips to the range I end up prioritizing specific things. My EDC gets a workout because I need my skills with that one to stay sharp. I practice with my primary defensive long gun to make sure my use & handling of it is up to par. I shoot anything that I have done work on to make sure it functions properly. I sight in anything with new optics. I try to bring along any that I haven't shot before to make sure they work as intended. Once all that is done it's whatever else I feel like shooting. That list rotates with some frequency.

Go to ND and you'll have ranchers/farmers begging you to take care of their gophers!
Really? Where? I have family in ND, travel there frequently and they have to come this way to shoot rats. I'd love to take my kids on a trip out there to shoot but haven't seen the opportunities there in the last 15 years.

Unless you know something I don't there are no Prarie dogs in oregon. I think Colorado is the closest state and I've seen them first hand in South Dakota. Never had the chance to squeeze the trigger on one....yet
A yard a few houses down from me has a whole town. They tried encroaching into my yard, but I was able to convince them not to. I am stuck with just GD pocket gophers. Haven't declared war on them...yet.

I was thinking about how little I get out shooting and how much time my guns sit in a dark safe.

Even before my M114 buying binge, I had many firearms that were never fired or taken out once or twice. That number has probably tripled with my binge buys.

What percentage of your firearm collection sees range time at least once a year?

If it's a low percentage, why?
Probably 80%. Some of mine are historical pieces. I mean I have some early black powder .22lrs from the 1860s and such that don't have ammo produced. I also have a Beretta 1915 that fires 9mm Glissenti and I haven't made rounds for it. I have a couple other curiosity firearms that there are legit reasons not to fire.

But outside of those, I think I shot most everything. Some of them, quite a lot.

I need to find a place to shoot around here. Sure, I can shoot 93 yards off my back porch here, but I don't want to scare the wildlife

I'm shooting less and less these days. So much of the pew collection doesn't get out. To answer the why question: significant loss of interest, massive time constraints due to an insane degree of life matters, crap weather. In pretty much that order.

In roughly order:

• By far the most: Large, double-action revolvers. Mainly in .44 Magnum, but occasionally .357. I find it enjoyable to shoot bowling pins, metallic silhouettes, spinners, et al., with both Specials and full-house loads.
  • Occasionally: Machine-guns. A little rock and roll can be fun, though it is just from time to time.
  • Occasionally and not enough: two carry pieces (Walther PPK and a J-frame sized snub). Not for fun, just practice.
Like to:
  • I would like to go out shooting with wife and kids, together or with just esposita. Perhaps when the weather clears.
  • Get the kids more formally trained; both from me and their mother, but perhaps more organized training or events.
  • Put together better secure storage.
  • Jettison anything we aren't using and putting the funds in savings/investments. I've been taking a good, hard look at a few already. Most of the unneeded doodads have been flushed, but a second pass wouldn't hurt.
  • Oh, and I heard my M1 Garand antics are a go. More later. :s0165:
Overall, quality over quantity. Right-sizing. And looking forward to sunnier days, in more ways than one.
Really I find myself in a similar place, though the machine guns get a lot of love. And I like 454 as my big bore, as my 44 magnum is a desert eagle.

I need to ditch some stuff. But as I fully intend to start hunting next year, I may see what I prefer for that.

Gone are the days where I can throw the entire collection in the car and shoot them all. On my trips to the range I end up prioritizing specific things. My EDC gets a workout because I need my skills with that one to stay sharp. I practice with my primary defensive long gun to make sure my use & handling of it is up to par. I shoot anything that I have done work on to make sure it functions properly. I sight in anything with new optics. I try to bring along any that I haven't shot before to make sure they work as intended. Once all that is done it's whatever else I feel like shooting. That list rotates with some frequency.
👆What @bradsteen said. (And he said it 7 months ago. Freaky. 😵)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top