JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preference for your defensive handgun?

• $$$. Top of the line

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • $$. Midrange

Votes: 85 75.9%
  • $. Low end

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One way to look at this - its your life on the line, so carry the best tool you can to protect that. Money is no concern vs your life, right? This is where $2000+ Gucci guns live.

The other way to look at it - defensive guns are disposable tools that, should you ever use it for social work, is going to get taken for evidence fir anywhere from a week, to indefinitely. It may wind up covered in blood and brain matter. You might *not* want it back. It may come back to you a rusted mess. So by that thinking, the cheapest gun that runs reliably gets the nod. This is where Rugers, Glocks, and Smiths shine.

I probably would not drop 4 figures on a carry gun, but then, IF I had the cash, I might. A Sig Legion would be seriously tempting. $1200.

If I had the money, I'd carry the top of the line or rare/expensive guns. The chances of using your gun are so slim, I say carry what makes you feel happy. That hand engraved damascus Cabot 1911? Carry it. That H&K P7m13? Carry it. Your Colt Anaconda? Don't we all ;)

Seeing as I am broke, I'll stick with glock.

A shocking number of people buy and sometimes even carry a gun they have never fired.
I've had a friend of mine go with me to the range to put 500 rounds downrange on a new gun. I had to explain to him why I wouldn't carry a gun w/o doing this as he thought they tested them at the factory. I had to explain, they'll often only fire one round. He fully tests his guns before they get into his EDC rotation now.

Last Edited:
You don't wear a Rolex to tell yourself what time it is, you wear a Rolex to tell someone else what time it is....
....with a flourish. You want it to stand out and you want to be remembered.

You don't wear a sidearm because you want to use it to shoot yourself, you wear a sidearm to defend against a physical threat....
....no flourish, always functional. You want it to be concealed and you want to be secure.

Last Edited:
Depends on where:

M&P Shield 9mm all day every day. x1
SIG P229 40SW Travel or away from home X1

I just want two things reliable and reliable.

Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?

When choosing the gun to bet your life and the lives of your family on, you choose the most reliable one that you shoot best. Maybe that's a $500 M&P or maybe that's a $3000 Wilson. I own both for different purposes. The Wilson sits on my nightstand. And if the police want it after it gets done saving my life and the lives of my family, they can keep the damn thing for all I care and it will still be the best money I ever spent. :rolleyes:

I won't keep a gun that is not reliable and accurate.

There are reasons to do so. Family heirloom for one.

But not for self defense purposes. For SD I agree with @joken.

I am of the mind set - tested - I can use it - and close to stock. Such that I can replace it if/we necessary. Likewise, I use only factory ammo.

Of course I am looking since I lost my SD gun in an unfortunate boating accident.
Due to Initiative Petition 42,43,44 I may need a revolver.

If you are in enough trouble to have a gun confiscated for evidence, the cost of the gun will be the last thing on your mind. Guns are quite inexpensive today, even expensive ones are cheaper than any time in history. A common peacemaker (1873 Colt) used to cost a couple of months wages.

;)My 'go-to' defensive handgun is snubby Smith m19. I bought it for ~$300, does that make it low end? To replace it would run me about $700, is that high end or midrange? Asking for a friend...

;)My 'go-to' defensive handgun is snubby Smith m19. I bought it for ~$300, does that make it low end? To replace it would run me about $700, is that high end or midrange? Asking for a friend...
Word on the street is that Glocks are going for five dollars so that's probably on the high end.

I paid $350 for my EDC Steyr S9* in 2004. It always works, I can hit with it, and after 16 years I haven't found anything I care to switch to. I would not carry a family heirloom.

*The only reason I mention it is because the gendarmes took it when I had a traffic accident and couldn't have it in the aid unit. Generally I don't name anything I lost when my seagoing kayak capsized over the Challenger Deep.

MVIMG_20180410_100723.jpg 394288-603aa664a82e2467e71ead9652d01d80.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads