JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preference for your defensive handgun?

• $$$. Top of the line

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • $$. Midrange

Votes: 85 75.9%
  • $. Low end

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kind of subjective, but I voted "mid-range" because the article makes a very valid point. I've seen some EXPENSIVE weapons that are super-finicky and operate only under "aligned stars", and I've seen cheap-o cheapies run and run and run. A PDW has to run, not look "fancy"... although fancy is cool too.

You get what you pay for 99.9% of the time and there are many makes and models that fit the bill for a "world-class" PDW that run like a fine sewing machine and won't break the bank.

Glock, S&W, Walther, Ruger come to mind right off the bat...

S&W M&P 9c has been my carry the last 4 years or so. Has been 100% reliable even when I tested it by going 500 rounds without cleaning. I see no need for a really expensive gun. Plus, if it gets used in a defensive shooting, they're going to take it away, likely for a long time, so I'd rather not have a really expensive gun sitting in some locker somewhere while I wait to get it back. Stomper's list is definitely a good reference. I've considered switching to a G19, just haven't made the jump yet.

I don't own any guns that are not reliable and accurate. Who in their right mind would carry a gun that they have had problems with?

I think there is this "urban legend" that guns are taken virtually forever in a SD use of force. Having collected lots of evidence over the years, some has stayed in evidence forever but only because the person was a suspect, went to prison, and the items were held because of appeals. I have signed hundreds of evidence releases, most of them as soon as they were forwarded to me.

In article from the OP someone in the comments sections used their firearm in a SD shooting and stated that it was held for weeks, much more likely and reasonable. Are there cases where guns are held for much longer? No doubt there are many. I'm going to carry what works for me and not worry about this issue personally. Honestly, I'm much more worried about one of my firearms "missing" after a flight...and I'm flying back to PDX in a few hours so always fingers crossed.

The difference of a couple hundred dollars is inconsequential in the off chance that a gun might be damaged or disappeared in the grand scheme of things.
If it's a blue dandy though, I wouldn't recommend being seen oiling it with a rag by the coppers right before you reckon it might be taken as evidence. who cares

Since I have always been a 1911 guy it's what is often carried. Have a few though so if one ended up in evidence locker for a time no problem, have spares. If something happened to one and I never got it back again no big deal as they are just off the shelf Springfield's. The other guns I carry same thing. Nothing that would be at all hard to just buy another of.

I don't own any guns that are not reliable and accurate. Who in their right mind would carry a gun that they have had problems with?

A shocking number of people buy and sometimes even carry a gun they have never fired. I have related the story before of watching an on duty LEO come into a shop to pick up a new gun. They handed him the box and after papers were done he loaded it with the ammo in his carry piece, dropped his carry piece in the box and holstered the new, then headed back to his car. I was standing there in shock at what I was seeing. Sales guy just looked at me and shrugged as he could obviously see why I was looking like I was.

Personal opinion, besides being accurate and comfortable to carry, an EDC should be something that is easily replaced and wouldn't cause sorrow, if it ended up on a evidence locker shelf for some time.

Shield .45 for me... Go replace it today for 360.00...

A shocking number of people buy and sometimes even carry a gun they have never fired. I have related the story before of watching an on duty LEO come into a shop to pick up a new gun. They handed him the box and after papers were done he loaded it with the ammo in his carry piece, dropped his carry piece in the box and holstered the new, then headed back to his car. I was standing there in shock at what I was seeing. Sales guy just looked at me and shrugged as he could obviously see why I was looking like I was.
When I do something to one of my guns even if I just changed the sights or what ever I go and shoot it it's crazy to buy a gun put it on your belt or night stand and think it's going to work right out of the box

There are certain guns that I would never use for everyday carry; Overly expensive, antique, collectable and/or heirloom. Not so much out of fear that they may get taken if I were to have to use them in a defensive way, but because they are valuable (either monetary or personal) and I don't want to take the chance of damaging or losing them (for what ever reason).

I would hate to have my carry gun confiscated, but it would be even worse for one that I really valued.

Ray

My EDC is a $300 dollar pistol. What's your life worth or the life of your loved ones? I don't look at it in terms of money but reliability! If I can't trust it, why keep it in the safe!

What's your life worth?

I don't care about loosing an expensive gun.
If I need it. And I pull it. All I care about is where It can accurately and effectively place rounds.

After that it can spontaneously combust for all I care.

To me the important thing is the decision to use a gun in the first place.
You better be right!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top