JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think that is correct.

I believe it is 30 days.

The initiative has a clause that you have 120 days to transfer/etc. mags if you wish to dispose of them, but initiatives go into effect in 30 days after being "passed". The question is, when is a measure passed? The day of the election or the day the the vote is certified? My understanding is that the vote will be certified November 30th?

I don't think that is correct.

I believe it is 30 days.

The initiative has a clause that you have 120 days to transfer/etc. mags if you wish to dispose of them, but initiatives go into effect in 30 days after being "passed". The question is, when is a measure passed? The day of the election or the day the the vote is certified? My understanding is that the vote will be certified November 30th?
From OPB:

High capacity magazines would no longer be available for purchase 30 days after the effective date of the measure. And they would be fully banned from being bought, sold or made in the state — including by gun dealers and manufacturers — with a few exceptions as of next spring, or 180 days after the new law goes into effect. Those who already own a high capacity magazine could keep them, but only use them on private property or on a firing range.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that the 180-day window provided in the measure for gun dealers to accept magazines turned in by current owners and transfer, alter or destroy their existing stock does not allow for magazines to be bought by individuals for that entire time frame.

instant approvals today on two more purchases at two different stores. (I think thats it, ive bought all the guns guys, please send money for the optics fund)

NW Armory in Tigard is a straight madhouse. Feeling for the employees, line wrapped around inside the store. wild Stuff. All walks of life in there, from the lady asking "how much does a gun cost" to the rich guy that says "how do i check this" while picking up an AR-15 from the floor....

edit: you know what its fine, I'm a man, there were two very beautiful women in there too, Separate alone people just coming to get firearms With the masses.

pretty interesting visit today.

im also not quite sure where that one gentlemen was going with a literal box of handguns he just bought lol.
really? busy on a Thursday? apparently all of those people must be unemployed.. makes me wonder how they are paying their bills and other debt,

Oregon NICS website has crashed a couple hours ago.

About 7:30pm this was the backlog

A003F603-4A52-4AEB-93AA-3715595B1023.jpeg

Somebody mentioned in another thread that the background check queue is already increasing. I would like to keep a close eye on it in this thread. If you do a transfer or have access to queue line info please share the latest number.

Feel free to discuss any background check related topics surrounding Measure 114 as well.
call your local FFL they'll give you an update on wait times. last check I did was 3-4wks. M-114 passes, 30 days to go into effect. court battles & stay's are ready, support those fighting for you like Oregon Firearms Federation

Thing about the crash that folks might consider is you can't buy a gun....or sell one legally.

I think a gunshow is this weekend in Salem, if the system is down you can't buy or sell.

So what happens if your BGC number put in next week doesn't clear by Dec 8, 30 days? Is the FFL gonna hold it until you get a permit two or three months later?

So what happens if your BGC number put in next week doesn't clear by Dec 8, 30 days? Is the FFL gonna hold it until you get a permit two or three months later?
Sounds like a question for a lawyer, which I am not. Not for Uncle John on the Internet or radio talk show hosts which, from listening, are apparently all knowing and can answer the questions people who didn't read the bill have

That is an important question to ask the FFL prior to filling out your form 4473. With a face to face private transfer, I would suggest leaving behind as little as possible (frame/receiver only) at the FFL. This strategy won't be practical for a lot of firearms but it should be for most of the common pistols and AR type rifles. At least if your frame or receiver gets stuck in M114 purgatory you will still have upper components, mags, acessories, optics, etc.

That is an important question to ask the FFL prior to filling out your form 4473. With a face to face private transfer, I would suggest leaving behind as little as possible (frame/receiver only) at the FFL. This strategy won't be practical for a lot of firearms but it should be for most of the common pistols and AR type rifles. At least if your frame or receiver gets stuck in M114 purgatory you will still have upper components, mags, acessories, optics, etc.
I've never had any FFL require that I leave a firearm with the FFL. I've only had one transfer take longer than a few hours; my AR-50 took a little over a week, and I took it home with me after starting the transfer thru the system.

I don't recall anything in 114 that requires that be changed.

I've never had any FFL require that I leave a firearm with the FFL. I've only had one transfer take longer than a few hours; my AR-50 took a little over a week, and I took it home with me after starting the transfer thru the system.

Lucky you. I have never had an FFL let me walk with firearm before my background check cleared.

My private party transfer experience has been like this.

I meet seller at FFL and look over firearm.

I fill out form 4473 and once the stolen gun check has cleared I pay seller.

FFL holds gun and calls me when my background check clears.

Lucky you. I have never had an FFL let me walk with firearm before my background check cleared.

My private party transfer experience has been like this.

I meet seller at FFL and look over firearm.

I fill out form 4473 and once the stolen gun check has cleared I pay seller.

FFL holds gun and calls me when my background check clears.
I was speaking as the seller. Once the transfer goes thru the system, then the $ and the gun get transferred.

114 will require a permit. No permit, no gun. And we may not be able to get a permit for months out. So the question was how is each FFL going to handle it after this supposedly goes into effect after 30 days. Like arakboss said, I guess check with the FFL before you have your firearm shipped there.

All the FFLs I have dealt with hold the gun. All kinds of bad stuff could happen to or with the firearm while the buyer was waiting weeks or months for their background check to clear.
Most I've transferred through also hold the gun, however there's one in particular who has a gun leave with the seller until 4473 comes back. That one also requires locks are on guns sold before they leave the premises and I understand. Gotta CYA in this litigious society.

Until the $ transfer is completed, and the gov approves the transfer, there is no transfer, including to the FFL, so I would expect the gun to stay with the seller.

Now I am thinking of FTF sales here, which is 99% of the transfers I have done - not a transfer where the gun is shipped to the FFL, of which I have only done one (except for buying a gun from the FFL themselves).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top