JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[QUOTE="Flymph, post: 2597517, member: 45941]

PS; I'm pretty sure that 3 traps is the limit.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, up to 3 devices can be fished per licensed individual. But I can own as many as I please...I usually have a extra or 3 for when im taking someone else.
And Jbett is correct in the new regs...I had to buy new, clean buoys so I could paste my personal info all over them for everyone to see.
Thanks Salem...haven't you done enough for (to) us already?!

We went to Florence Friday a couple days ago and every basket pull was full of crabs. Ended up with 7 keepers and ate them Saturday. Delicious. They were not molting or soft yet but it is right around the corner.

Ok. Here it is. I'm not proud, but this is too good not to share...
Kayak crabbing today. First time ever. No problem, I've got this.
Loaded up 2 of my 3 traps, push away from the dock, get 75-100 yards to where I want to drop one.
I've already baited and rigged them, all I have to do is drop them over the side, 1 at a time.
I drop the very first one, then realize I didn't uncoil the 50' of leaded line. No problem, I start to pull that pot back in. But it's still sinking as it hasn't reached bottom yet. And I pull on the line. Line goes taught, and I go overboard.
Completely under water. The kayak is actually floating, upside down, over my head.
Bait bucket, crab bucket, paddle, everything is drifting away.
Did I mention the outgoing tide?
I finally get the boat flipped right side up, gather all my floating gear (mind you, I'm treading water. And It's the flipping ocean). I haul my a$$ back on the floating slab of plastic. No small feat, as my rubber boots and rain pants are now a billion times heavier than they were 20 seconds earlier.
Lost both traps. Fished with one for about 2 hours. Then saw a red and white float about a quarter mile away. Paddle my a$$ off....Yep, mine. It was the trap that I had initially tried to drop, and because it's float was outside of the cage, it re-emerged at low tide. Even had a keeper in it!
The other trap is gone, baby, gone. Out to sea by now.
Phone is fried. Credit cards are stuck together. All my stuff is a salt water mess.
But I still had a blast...caught 4 keepers total, have never worked so hard for so little.

Want to go crabbing?.

Loaded up 2 of my 3 traps, push away from the dock, get 75-100 yards to where I want to drop one.
I've already baited and rigged them, all I have to do is drop them over the side, 1 at a time.
I drop the very first one, then realize I didn't uncoil the 50' of leaded line. No problem, I start to pull that pot back in. But it's still sinking as it hasn't reached bottom yet. And I pull on the line. Line goes taught, and I go overboard.
Completely under water. The kayak is actually floating, upside down, over my head.
Bait bucket, crab bucket, paddle, everything is drifting away.
Did I mention the outgoing tide?
I finally get the boat flipped right side up, gather all my floating gear (mind you, I'm treading water. And It's the flipping ocean). I haul my a$$ back on the floating slab of plastic. No small feat, as my rubber boots and rain pants are now a billion times heavier than they were 20 seconds earlier.
Lost both traps. Fished with one for about 2 hours. Then saw a red and white float about a quarter mile away. Paddle my a$$ off....Yep, mine. It was the trap that I had initially tried to drop, and because it's float was outside of the cage, it re-emerged at low tide. Even had a keeper in it!
Phone is fried. Credit cards are stuck together. All my stuff is a salt water mess.
But I still had a blast...caught 4 keepers total, have never worked so hard for so little.

Want to go crabbing?.

Hey that's what it is about! My sister thought her bf was holding the other side of the line and tied it off on the dock, she threw it and there goes the trap! Glad you got a few keepers :) Crab cakes or lemon butter is the real question.

But... you had fun right??? lol
Adventure comes in many forms.
Sounds like you took it all in stride and still had a smile. Good on you.

This thread has me thinking of Abalone diving on the NorCal coast... :)

I've found that an incoming tide is better then an outgoing one, as the currents just rip trying to get out of the bay and it's easy to lose your traps.
Slack tide is when you really pick up the most crab.

Yeah I fished the low slack, but got out early so had the last 2.5 hours of the outgoing tide.
But you're right...I picked up most of my bounteous catch during the 2 hours of slack.

I've already baited and rigged them, all I have to do is drop them over the side, 1 at a time ...

A good buddy of mine crabs with a kayak. River/bay and ocean. He ALWAYS wears a dry suit. For me since I use round heavy traps. No way on this planet would I use them off of a kayak.

Wounds like June crabbing for sure! :s0114:

Edit, fat fingers made for a very appropriate typo on that one, "Sounds..."
I'm also glad you're keeping positive!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR