JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
100 or 200 yards? Both with 55 grain bullets and premium Federal ammo. Hunting either Ukia or Starkey area in the Blue Mountains. Will be using electronic call. To be hunting at the end of November or early December? The former scoped with 4 x 14 and the latter 4 x 16. Thanks.

.223 zero at 200 yards. Then find where you are at 100 and 300 yards. Every rifle shoots a bit different depending on barrel length and amount-type of powder. I have shot coyotes at 20yards and at 350.

Good luck and bring warm undies!

We went. Called in Coyotes but they quickly realized we were phony. I did hear barking way back in the blues on several occasions and learned that wolves do bark on occasion. Really weird to be 25 miles NW of Ukia and hear barking. No sh-t.! Saw about 15 Elk and 15 deer. Lots of sign for snowshoe hare.

We went. Called in Coyotes but they quickly realized we were phony. I did hear barking way back in the blues on several occasions and learned that wolves do bark on occasion. Really weird to be 25 miles NW of Ukia and hear barking. No sh-t.! Saw about 15 Elk and 15 deer. Lots of sign for snowshoe hare.

Mouth call or electronic call?

Are you giving them something to look at besides you? Old trick is to tie a white hankie to a bush 60-90deg or whatever from your hide.

Last Edited:
Yes, We used Electronic and had an electronic tail spinner. I like the idea of white hankie. We had two guys working this; one with rifle and the second with shot gun both about 50-75 years away from each other and facing in opposite directions.

For where to zero your rifle, you need to have a couple pieces of information. First you need to know what the acceptable deviation above and below the center of the target is. Second you need to know how flat your caliber shoots. Finally you need to guess the expected range you're going to be shooting at.

The "point blank range" is the set of all ranges from the muzzle where the bullet is within the acceptable margin of error above and below the target.

If your bullet is going to shoot very flat, like a 22–250, and you think your target is going to be 250 yards away, you want to zero at the spot before 250 yards where the trajectory of the bullet is 2" (my preferred margin of error) below the line of sight to the target. From that point on, the bullet is going to hit higher and higher as the distance increases, from 2" low to 0" to 2" high then back to 0" high and then 2" low at the far end of the trajectory.

All those distances are going to put your bullet within 2" of the target.

For a larger target you can have a larger margin of error and thus extend your PBR.

For me, the sweet spot for a 22-250 is a zero at about 100yards. That means for me I'm about 2" low at 50 yards and about 2" high at 250 yards and then 2" low again at 400 yards or so.

This way out to 400 yards I don't have to adjust my hold over at all.

YMMV

I think zeroing at 250 yards would put you really off up close but really good at 450 - 550 yards.

You need to look at the ballistics for your load but this is a good start.

We zeroed at 200 yard for 22 250 and 223. Both using 22 or 24" barrels. Bolt guns. Winch 70 A and Rem 700. I'd have to check but I think the 22 250 was 1" high at 100 and the 223 about 1.5" high at 100.

I can get back to you on the call used.

Yes, We used Electronic and had an electronic tail spinner. I like the idea of white hankie. We had two guys working this; one with rifle and the second with shot gun both about 50-75 years away from each other and facing in opposite directions.

Gotta be either your call, or the tail spinner. Unless they scented you or spooked due to movement or bad camo. Weird, I haven't found 'yotes to be that spooky. Maybe you should hunt the streets where they are more habituated to humans... JK.

Maybe ya need to be able to decrease the volume on the call when they show. Or pause the calling. IDK. A mouth call would be more versatile.

Gotta be either your call, or the tail spinner. Unless they scented you or spooked due to movement or bad camo. Weird, I haven't found 'yotes to be that spooky. Maybe you should hunt the streets where they are more habituated to humans... JK.

Maybe ya need to be able to decrease the volume on the call when they show. Or pause the calling. IDK. A mouth call would be more versatile.

We used two calls and both failed: Either Fox Pro or Alpha Dog. Calls were set about 75 to 100 or 120 years away. Spinners about 20 yards from the call. Both calls placed in trees about 6 feet off the ground. Snow camo bottoms and woodland or tree camo tops. Faces with snow camo head and face caps. All of this was a no go. Calling about 12 noon to 4 pm. Any ideas?

This is why I don't do MPBR anymore: I miss more. The idea is to figure out how big a vital area is and figure it out from there so you can just aim and shoot. Here is how that is flawed. Your imaginary circle of max height and max drop assumes your groups are one-holers.

A coyote gives you about a 6 inch circle to put a shot through vitals. So, 3 inches over line of sight and 3 inches below. If your rifle is 1 MOA capable, your group size will expand the true circle.

We used two calls and both failed: Either Fox Pro or Alpha Dog. Calls were set about 75 to 100 or 120 years away. Spinners about 20 yards from the call. Both calls placed in trees about 6 feet off the ground. Snow camo bottoms and woodland or tree camo tops. Faces with snow camo head and face caps. All of this was a no go. Calling about 12 noon to 4 pm. Any ideas?

I've had no luck with the Primos Turbo Dogg, but I'm clueless as far as coyote hunting.
Some suggestions I've received.
  1. Get some road kill and hang it from a post / stake it to the ground. Put a motion camera on it and observe for two days. That will tell you the times they circulate through the area, and they will trust the dead carcass.
  2. Stake a live dog / goat / sheep / chiken to a location and be ready with your rifle. Not so sure this is a good idea....

Calling about 12 noon to 4 pm.

Really? You should be in the bars instead.

1. First light or last light, not much in between.
2. I'm not familiar with those calls, but when was the last time a coyote found a dying rabbit in a tree? Try placing call at ground level. Decrease volume when yote is sighted then when you are sure he is fixated on it, turn it off and let him come in. Little squeaks from a mouth call are supposed to be good. Maybe a elk calf call if you already have one. Coyote Hunting: 12 Next-Level Tips
3. I don't think you can legally bait them, but I once had a yote attack my goose decoys in a wheat field. I got such a laugh I let him go on his way. He kept looking back with a WTF look on his mug. :D

Last Edited:
If they were barking at you, they saw, heard, or smelled something they didn't like. The barking was to warn other coyotes that something is not right in the area.

If they were barking at you, they saw, heard, or smelled something they didn't like. The barking was to warn other coyotes that something is not right in the area.

Yes, from what we gathered and were impressed with that this barking pitch was not that of a coyote, this was a much deeper and bass bark. We did check and confirmed that wolves were in the area. This bark was distinctively different from any sound from a coyote I have ever heard. Much more like a dog but we were 25 miles away from any ranch or town and well within National Forest or BLM land. Sound right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top