JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or your partner sprays you and the bad guy….same with the taser.
Had an LEO I know got shot with his own Taser bit ago. Fight with perp, perp grabbed his Taser, shoots him in the boot, his Supervisor tries to OC perp and gets both the perp and him. The guy was laughing about it when it was all over. They should have just shot the scum when he went for the stuff on one Duty Belt but of course sadly they are scared of shooting anyone now.

Fight with perp, perp grabbed his Taser,
That's all she wrote there, our policy was if a subject gained control of any of our less lethal (OC, TASER, baton) from our duty belt, it was then automatically a lethal force confrontation. Been retired a year now, but that's still no laughing matter.

Eaten the fire a few times from "friendly fire." Why I always used to tell my partners that if I'm hands-on with a subject, let me know if they are gonna deploy OC so I can disengage... Even so, everytime OC is used, you gotta decon the back of your patrol car (and your uniform and gear).

1699151089922.jpeg

Disagree. If deadly force is justified there is no duty to use less than deadly force (don't know about some states like New Jersey maybe you have to try to run away and hide there or some BS). Pepper spray or other less deadly options give you a tool in the toolbox for precisely those situations where using a gun will get you thrown in jail for a long time (Fe using deadly force to stop the threat when there is an arguable case that it was disproportionate to the threat/not justified).

Disagree. If deadly force is justified there is no duty to use less than deadly force. Pepper spray or other less deadly options give you a tool in the toolbox for precisely those situations where using a gun will get you thrown in jail fo a long time (Fe using deadly force to stop the threat when there is an arguable case that it was disproportionate to the threat/not justified).
Now all you need is a jury that agrees with you.

Disagree. If deadly force is justified there is no duty to use less than deadly force (don't know about some states like New Jersey maybe you have to try to run away and hide there of some BS). Pepper spray or other less deadly options give you a tool in the toolbox for precisely those situations where using a gun will get you thrown in jail fo a long time (Fe using deadly force to stop the threat when there is an arguable case that it was disproportionate to the threat/not justified).
Litigation is likely no matter what your stance with the criminal courts.
This quoted article mentions " setting yourself up for Litigation ".
Might be worth re-reading.

I hear this "setting yourself up for litigation" fear bs all the time. Fe "if you train to be proficient at firearms the prosecutor can say you train to kill people". If you have many guns he can say you are a gun nut. If you have a modified trigger you are a crazed killer. If you carry an extra mag you are looking for a firefight. If you carry ANY knife that is not a simple multi tool or 2" blade he can say you are out to kill people. I have heard all of this in various places. It's all BS IMO.

I say do what makes sense to you and don't run around looking like you are some crazed killer. Imo you can't live in fear of litigation to the extent that you are not as prepared as you should be. Non-lethal options protect you from potential prosecution by giving you more options, not the other way around.

I hear this "setting yourself up for litigation" fear bs all the time. Fe "if you train to be proficient at firearms the prosecutor can say you train to kill people". If you have many guns he can say you are a gun nut. If you have a modified trigger you are a crazed killer. If you carry an extra mag you are looking for a firefight. If you carry ANY knife that is not a simple multi tool or 2" blade he can say you are out to kill people. I have heard all of this in various places. It's all BS IMO.

I say do what makes sense to you and don't run around looking like you are some crazed killer. Imo you can't live in fear of litigation to the extent that you are not as prepared as you should be. Non-lethal options protect you from potential prosecution by giving you more options, not the other way around.
Lawyers are going to find *any* angle to win their case. It does not matter if they were arguing the exact opposite the case before. In the case of a city/county/state prosecutor what matters is if they are pro/indifferent/anti self defense. The arguments will come *after* the decision to prosecute is made.

Lawyers are going to find *any* angle to win their case. It does not matter if they were arguing the exact opposite the case before. In the case of a city/county/state prosecutor what matters is if they are pro/indifferent/anti self defense. The arguments will come *after* the decision to prosecute is made.
The key, it seems to me, is to identify the ones most effectively used in your area, and take steps to mitigate those. I haven't started on that yet. :)

Yep, rittenhouse was a good example of that. Just because they can make some argument Fe that because you train to shoot makes you a killer doesn't mean you shouldn't train to shoot because you are afraid some prosecutor could use that against you. Do what you need to do to be prepared and be smart about it is what I say. Having crazy clothing with violent slogans on it would probably do more damage than the things one should be doing for adequate self defense Fe. All imo.

Another thing to consider -

If you're going to use Non-lethal just know you may be opening the door for a self defense/deadly force justification from the other party.

You pull out a baton, taser or OC in "self defense" as non lethal (because the situation didn't validate deadly force) then they may be pulling out a gun before you get the chance to hit them in "self defense" on their end.

Better hope someone is recording the entire event from beginning to end and not half way through.

Which is why my go to is a handheld light…. It's really hard to justify shooting someone for blinding you with a light. It's not very difficult to validate/justify deadly force when someone produces OC, Taser, blunt object, Baton, Knife, etc.

Last Edited:
One good example is from about 3? Days ago in a Portland park. 7 year old girl was playing on playground equipment and a drugged out half naked lady tried to steal her. Can't remember what the guy did but he stopped it. Could probably be argued either way about what is justified. Pepper spray or other non deadly force stops the attack, ideally no one injured, you get the hell out of there. I don't know if police were even came on that one but I think so. Similarly there are tons of attacks here everyday that don't rise to the level of deadly force. I myself went through one recently.

I remember once Massad the sky is falling Ayoob testified in front of a jury that a 10mm firing reloads will summon Yangooch or somesuch.. I forget.

Disagree. If deadly force is justified there is no duty to use less than deadly force (don't know about some states like New Jersey maybe you have to try to run away and hide there or some BS). Pepper spray or other less deadly options give you a tool in the toolbox for precisely those situations where using a gun will get you thrown in jail for a long time (Fe using deadly force to stop the threat when there is an arguable case that it was disproportionate to the threat/not justified).
This gets beat to death quite often so everyone will have to decide what they want to do. For me? I have more years behind me than I do in front. I am NOT going to go toe to toe with someone who wants to pound me. They want to use fists, I will use something better. If I go the rest of the time I have left and never again have to shoot someone I will happy dance my way out of life. If I have to again use deadly force I will not lose sleep over it. Again everyone has to decide what they are comfortable with. :s0092:

One good example is from about 3? Days ago in a Portland park. 7 year old girl was playing on playground equipment and a drugged out half naked lady tried to steal her. Can't remember what the guy did but he stopped it. Could probably be argued either way about what is justified. Pepper spray or other non deadly force stops the attack, ideally no one injured, you get the hell out of there. I don't know if police were even came on that one but I think so. Similarly there are tons of attacks here everyday that don't rise to the level of deadly force. I myself went through one recently.
Back in 2016 or 2017 I attending some training at Portland Bureau of Transportation yard under the overpass right across from Legacy Emanuel. Well as my crew and I were walking from our truck to the yard the hospital was kicking a woman out.

She was off her rocker and not wanting to leave. She proceeded to remove her shirt and grab a decent size stick/branch and come directly at me screaming bloody murder.

So I had a topless 60ish year old mental patient headed toward me swinging a large stick. I had 2 options run down the street away from her or take my chances with boobs hanging stick lady.

My coworkers had a good laugh but I'd rather run away than be out in the street fighting an older lady suffering from mental illness.

A situation I wouldn't have wanted to use any type of force so fleeing was best option. Sometimes bizarro scenarios instantaneously arise.

This gets beat to death quite often so everyone will have to decide what they want to do. For me? I have more years behind me than I do in front. I am NOT going to go toe to toe with someone who wants to pound me. They want to use fists, I will use something better. If I go the rest of the time I have left and never again have to shoot someone I will happy dance my way out of life. If I have to again use deadly force I will not lose sleep over it. Again everyone has to decide what they are comfortable with. :s0092:
Exactly…there are factors that people need to take into consideration when figuring out of force is justified. Even if someone is unarmed there could be justification for using deadly force.

Size of attacker VS size of victim
Male VS Female
Sick or injured
Known skill level (special forces, MMA)
Young VS Old

And probably a few more I didn't mention.

A less robust makeup doesn't necessarily eliminate the need for intermediate force; it just shifts it. Situations that would have previously called for an outstretched hand or a stern word may now call for a baton or some pepper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top