JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OWB on belt if I'm hiking for easy access no matter what I'm wearing, and a holster on my hip belt of my pack if I'm wearing a pack hunting. If I see something requiring a handgun I want as easy and quick access as I can get.

Chest holsters are fine, but since I also use a Bino pack it's a bit too cumbersome.

Which area will you be hiking in? Seattle area trails full of anti-gun voters, or mountain trails with only pickups and flannel shirts at the parking lot?

For the former the chest pouches are nice, especially in the civilian colors without MOLLE.
Oh sh!t, the Drop Leg holster is perfect then, for the parts with anti-guner folk :s0151: :s0094: :s0069: Might suggest wearing a good go-pro to record, the NON exhibit intimidation events, that'll fictionally transpire:s0077::s0131:

Full-flap holster usually. Constructed it of "saddle leather" myself, my own design. Also have a thick full-flap nylon holster, which I bought years ago. I prefer these for protection of the finish on some of my more pricey numbers- Python, BHP, Colt Combat Commander. Glocks, not so much... The reason being I have dinged some pistols climbing around on the rocks and boulders here in the Colorado mtns..

Last Edited:
I don't always hike, but when I do, I duel wield these……

IMG_3330.png

Hello

What holsters do you use while hiking?
belly bands, IWB, fanny packs ? Which ones work the best? Pls share your experience.

thanks in advance
For what gun? If packing a large 10mm or big revolver for bear that can be different than if packing for human threat (doesn't have to be different, it's all personal preference). For human threat a small gun like p365, p938 in Alabama pocket holster can go on any pocket of decent size. Mine live in front jeans pocket. If trying to make super lightweight for hiking you can substitute a poly frame small gun.

For what gun? If packing a large 10mm or big revolver for bear that can be different than if packing for human threat (doesn't have to be different, it's all personal preference). For human threat a small gun like p365, p938 in Alabama pocket holster can go on any pocket of decent size. Mine live in front jeans pocket. If trying to make super lightweight for hiking you can substitute a poly frame small gun.
It will be a small gun like 365xl. I am not much worried about the 4-legged, usually it is the 2-legged that are more dangerous :s0112:

OWB crossdraw. Because it does not get in the way of backpacks.
Yes, sorta.
My pack has a wide belt. That belt will cover the holster, unless the holster is attached to the pack, which I believe isn't a bad option.
I liked carrying my Blackhawk better that way than on my normal belt. Seemed to distribute the weight best for me.

Hello

What holsters do you use while hiking?
belly bands, IWB, fanny packs ? Which ones work the best? Pls share your experience.

thanks in advance
I like Appendix inside waistband for hiking, running, gym, And biking. I run A Glock 45 with Acro p2 and tlr7a in the newest style trex arms holster with a tier 1 wing. The trex wing is awful in my opinion, pokes your inside leg when climbing on hikes. No sidecar, the sidecar also stabs your leg when climbing things. If you need a second mag do a pocket reload. Great for all activities. Depending on body size you might be able to do this with an x300 length holster but it's too uncomfortable for me. Be careful on a bike also because one wrong bump in the wrong position and it's a real nutcracker. If you can't do everything from sprinting to doing full squats with your setup can you even call it edc? Assuming those were things you could do without a gun iwb

Me it depends on if my kiddos are with me and where I'm going and how far. Hunting-scouting can be pretty long hikes, I carry in a Diamond D custom leather chest holster and full size 1911. Great holster very comfortable, done some 16 mile hikes with a pack. Didn't bother me at all. It is spendy but worth it. Could relative conceal under a jacket if needed.

Shorter hikes on trails just carry xmacro owb or p365. Normally loaded with Buffalo bore or underwood hard cast flat nose bullets. On the off chance I run into a black bear.

Kiddos or more nature trail hikes / popular hikes with a lot of people, p365 in mountain smith Fanny pack. I used double sided Velcro to install kydex holster into. Also great for the parks. Normally just SD ammo like critical defense, sometimes the ammo
Above just depends on where specifically I will be.

I rock the Kenai chest rig for my G20 when I'm up in the woods hiking or back packing. It distributes weight very well and doesn't interfere with my waist strap on my pack.

I also us that set up on my motorcycle rides, as it works well under my jacket.

Hi:

I bought a Molle holster from 511. It's fitted on the shoulder strap of my packs. If the pack is black then the holster and gun blend in. It's pretty rare that someone notices it. They also have a clip holster that I atttached to the other strap.

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top