JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello

What holsters do you use while hiking?
belly bands, IWB, fanny packs ? Which ones work the best? Pls share your experience.

thanks in advance
For quick hikes with the fam on well groomed trails I carry a 9 iwb. For my long back country hikes I carry a 10 outside in a kydex on my pack hip belt. Been wanting a chest holster but my bino harness kinda takes up that real-estate.

Hello

What holsters do you use while hiking?
belly bands, IWB, fanny packs ? Which ones work the best? Pls share your experience.

thanks in advance
Chest rig. I have one by Elite Survival Systems. IMO, the absolute best for virtually all activities. Seated-in-car it allows a very quick, unobstructed draw. Even through a vest arm hole.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.17.59 AM.png

Another for the hill people kit bag But I would at the same time have to recommend your choice of a minimalist trigger holster, I believe they offer or recommend one. They are a tad expensive but are very well-made and durable. Although I have never needed to pull my pistol in anger from it I have found it very useful to carry maps, GPS, my phone, Compass, extra batteries or anything else I may need handy where I don't have to drop my pack, fight the hip belt or describe in detail where it is to a buddy while he rummages through the wrong pocket in your backpack for 5 min.

I'm another that likes Hill people gear. I have the runners bag, You can wear it with anything, even a backpack. Its off your hips so it doesn't interfere with a pack, long gun, etc...
I don't run any more but it is a well designed bag. and does not scream gun. DR
Yep...Never ran, but great for all outdoor activities for sure...

Last Edited:
Which area will you be hiking in? Seattle area trails full of anti-gun voters, or mountain trails with only pickups and flannel shirts at the parking lot?

For the former the chest pouches are nice, especially in the civilian colors without MOLLE.

I use an OWB holster, but if wearing a pack, It ends up under the belt of my pack.
I used to have a single action and I would carry it with the holster on the belt of the pack, somewhat like a chest rig, but lower.

JNC Leather Works, I got sucked in by this video and ordered one for the Kimber 3" 357.
He custom made me one in black but I ordered black with brown, he happily made me the correct one and sent it out so I got two for the price of one even after offering to pay for the second. It holds the firearm snug and will not fall out.

It is very high quality.

View: https://youtu.be/XObMgeUyaso?si=qA9lbrqZU0TTvdAa

Another vote for hill people gear kit bag. Pick the size and color you want and you are set. Might have to look around the web to find them in stock though as supply seems to be hit and miss.

Blackhawk Epoch L3 Tactical Molded Light Bearing Drop Leg

So, this Drop Leg holster can cost from $120ish(I've seen it at)to $140. I got it for around $110 w/ military discount.
It's slightly misleading, as it doesn't specify what barrel lengths will fit. If you look at 2nd pic I took of the open hood, that covers rear upper/back slide & sights,
it's got some wear. That's from my 45, which also fits oddly enough, without factory mentioning it so. However, it's a SNUG fit to say the least.
I've managed after lil time, to be able to 1 hand operate it when holstering, closing & securing pistola. Not so much when 1st got, as it was 2 handed.
Anyway, my 5" S&W PC 9mm Competitor will not fit with lid closed(Just shy), but does so sitting in holster. I'm gonna dremel & it will then :s0151: :s0069:
It also flexes REALLY nicely around thigh when fastened, & rides REALLY well on thigh. Great HD quality & you can interchange many holster's Blackhawk makes.

20240209_103528.jpg 20240209_103657.jpg 20240209_112206.jpg 20240209_112246.jpg

The Hill People Gear chest pouches and cross-body holster/bags work well.
I am leaning towards cross body bags. I already use a fanny pack style back around my waist for non-firearm items so I am kinda used to the fanny pack style.

Chest rig. I have one by Elite Survival Systems. IMO, the absolute best for virtually all activities. Seated-in-car it allows a very quick, unobstructed draw. Even through a vest arm hole.

View attachment 1818822
Is this holster concealable ? It looks bigger in the picture

I use Kydex OWB with my G23 under a button up shirt.
OWB is another option but I use the backpack with a wide waist support belt so OWB at 3 o'clock or on the hip will get in the way.. hmm 🤔

I am leaning towards cross body bags. I already use a fanny pack style back around my waist for non-firearm items so I am kinda used to the fanny pack style.

Is this holster concealable ? It looks bigger in the picture

OWB is another option but I use the backpack with a wide waist support belt so OWB at 3 o'clock or on the hip will get in the way.. hmm 🤔
Perhaps peak the drop leg style I posted above. Draw hand lingers right where grip situates. Zero obstructions.

Which area will you be hiking in? Seattle area trails full of anti-gun voters, or mountain trails with only pickups and flannel shirts at the parking lot?

For the former the chest pouches are nice, especially in the civilian colors without MOLLE.
I hike in the mountain trails in the cascades, Tiger mountain and around Baker-snoqualmie forest area when hiking alone or with buddies. With family, I have to hike the trails near the city, which gets overcrowded and it is like a fair. :s0077:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top