JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never been tazed, but I see it on " cops " type shows all the time. The person being tazed is almost always running away , or already on the ground. Results vary greatly in the vids I've seen, and I assume that huge yellow gun shaped launcher is way more efficient than whatever pocket sized alternatives you would be shopping for. Personally, I wouldn't bother carrying one.

With all due respect, I certainly did not interpret pepper spray as the cornerstone or 'impetus' as you say, for this thread.
We may be talking past each other here. I was asking about non-lethal force items because the stuff I have experience with (from years ago), including pepper spray, was used on me and I found it incredibly underwhelming. I was wondering if things had changes and was looking for input from people with experience with the modern iterations of these products as well as other stuff I may not have considered or been aware of. Was that not what you were talking about?

It can really depend on person to person too. Generally speaking fair skinned/very pale people it works very well. Other individuals not so much.

A lot like pressure points/joint manipulation. Very effective on some. Others it has little to no effect.

If you spray someone there is a very high likelihood that you'll be contaminated as well. Whether it be wind/contact/second hand transfer/etc. that's why I advise people who carry it to spray themselves as well. That way you know how it affects you personally and be able to push through it and fight. If you can't do that you may wanna leave it at home.

I don't put a ton of faith in non-lethal simply cause humanity is so vastly different and the same product could have great to minimal effect.

Have a plan B. Be ready to go to plan B.
If you use stream type the chance of you being contaminated is about zero. When I used it on an attacker he was instantly incapacitated for all intents and purposes. I felt nothing. Smelled nothing. Even my fingers had no smell whatsoever. Think of a squirt gun without the dribble. That's what the Pom spray is like.

My suggestion is to not use gel of any brand. Shown to be ineffective in the videos I have seen.

Exposing yourself to pepper spray to see how you react after getting exposed to it is the only valid reason for getting sprayed with it. As stated above several times some people are able to fight through it (especially those that have been in prison/jail and have been exposed before).

I have used pepper spray on both dogs and humans (dogs 100% effective, humans not as effective). Also used the taser on multiple people, also not 100% effective.

Law Enforcement stopped teaching "force continuum's" in a stair step model awhile back because in court it implies that you have to stair step your response while in actuality you may jump from verbal commands straight to force. The defense and civil law suit attorneys were arguing that other means should have been attempted prior to the use of deadly force (which isn't always practical when faced with a rapidly evolving or escalating situation).

I would be careful about calling it a continuum when the law is concerned. The question will come up "what did you do to de-escalate or what less lethal option did you use?" Remember if the force is justified it doesn't matter what the tool is that is used.

My two cents.
Lawyers screw up everything. I do consider the basic force continuum to be relevant regardless of legal interpretations because it best encapsulates the various actions you can take to end a situation. You can avoid, deescalate, deter and finally forcefully stop a confrontation. This coincides neatly with not being in the situation in the first place, verbal communication with the aggressor, non-lethal force and lethal force. You do not need to work through the continuum every time, you jump to the spot that you need to be at as the situation develops. If that were not the case you could argue that you would never need to leave "avoidance", because if you are not avoiding the situation you can always avoid harder to still avoid it.

Back over in reality if your assailant is not letting you avoid they may not let you verbally deescalate or deter either, so in that case you might just jump straight to forced stop by mag dumping to their center of mass. It is all situation dependent, and figuring out where you need to be on that continuum at any given moment is an important decision making skillset to have.

If you use stream type the chance of you being contaminated is about zero. When I used it on an attacker he was instantly incapacitated for all intents and purposes. I felt nothing. Smelled nothing. Even my fingers had no smell whatsoever. Think of a squirt gun without the dribble. That's what the Pom spray is like.

My suggestion is to not use gel of any brand. Shown to be ineffective in the videos I have seen.
Ok. That's cause you didn't have to go hands on with them. Or wind didn't change direction. I've had different personal experiences when using it. We had stream.

There's a reason I would go to taser way before I would even think about using OC.

Ok. That's cause you didn't have to go hands on with them. Or wind didn't change direction. I've had different personal experiences when using it. We had stream.

There's a reason I would go to taser way before I would even think about using OC.
Those are assumptions. You weren't there. Use whatever works for you.

Or your partner sprays you and the bad guy….same with the taser.

Exposing yourself to pepper spray to see how you react after getting exposed to it is the only valid reason for getting sprayed with it. As stated above several times some people are able to fight through it (especially those that have been in prison/jail and have been exposed before).

I have used pepper spray on both dogs and humans (dogs 100% effective, humans not as effective). Also used the taser on multiple people, also not 100% effective.

Law Enforcement stopped teaching "force continuum's" in a stair step model awhile back because in court it implies that you have to stair step your response while in actuality you may jump from verbal commands straight to force. The defense and civil law suit attorneys were arguing that other means should have been attempted prior to the use of deadly force (which isn't always practical when faced with a rapidly evolving or escalating situation).

I would be careful about calling it a continuum when the law is concerned. The question will come up "what did you do to de-escalate or what less lethal option did you use?" Remember if the force is justified it doesn't matter what the tool is that is used.

My two cents.
Yea that was a huge misconception. People think you have to hit every "step" or "level" in the continuum to advance which is not the case. You can go to passive to deadly force and skip everything in between if the situation dictates.

I have never been tazed, but I see it on " cops " type shows all the time. The person being tazed is almost always running away , or already on the ground. Results vary greatly in the vids I've seen, and I assume that huge yellow gun shaped launcher is way more efficient than whatever pocket sized alternatives you would be shopping for. Personally, I wouldn't bother carrying one.
The wider the spread the more effect it normally has. If both prongs seat. A lot of variables come into play that can make a taser ineffective.

Yea that was a huge misconception. People think you have to hit every "step" or "level" in the continuum to advance which is not the case. You can go to passive to deadly force and skip everything in between if the situation dictates.
Absolutely. But the 28 year old soccer moms that are going to be on the civil jury don't know that and honestly some of the characters I worked with in law enforcement didn't know it either and they were supposed instructors…now they are supervisors 😂

Absolutely. But the 28 year old soccer moms that are going to be on the civil jury don't know that and honestly some of the characters I worked with in law enforcement didn't know it either and they were supposed instructors…now they are supervisors 😂
Scary to think about huh…..

Seen a particularly big dude sweep the darts right out on LivePD once. One of them boys that gets 3 sets of cuffs daisy chained together.
Yea. Some people are nuts. Clothing plays a huge part too. If the connection isn't good, prong misses, or the spread is too small it can be pretty ineffective.

I've been tased and it sucks but I would take getting tased over OC all day, everyday.

Padlock and bandana in the back pocket works too. Pick your color wisely.

IMG_3590.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top