JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try living in East Tacoma. That'll give you an aneurysm real quick lol.
They have, or at least had, an off leash dog park over there in the early days of the off leash parks. Wife shows up one morning to my work with our dog, said she had found a new OLP to try. As we were driving I could see this was not good. We got there it was still almost dark so I told her we would make a try but this was NOT the place to be. As soon as the sun started to come up here came the Pitbulls, and we picked up our dog and hit the road. Never bothered to see if the place stayed open for long.
Last couple times I went to the local pound here with someone looking for a dog the place is full of Pit's. I hate to go in the place because it's so damn sad to see all those dogs that will be killed as there is se few who will risk trying one any more. :mad:

You are NOT missing anything. I feel sorry for some of the old people who still live over there who bought homes back when it was a "working class" place. Homes are still of course far cheaper than most places here but there is of course a reason. :(

Not sure if it is the same area, but my great uncle used to live on K st. Haven't been there since 71.

Not sure if it is the same area, but my great uncle used to live on K st. Haven't been there since 71.
Depending on what part of it, sounds like Hilltop. That was a "working class place in the mid 70's when I lived there for a while. Still some VERY nice homes there. We used to see some junkies in the park but they were mostly harmless. When crack made its splash the place went to hell fast but, cleaned up a lot now. Some politicians bought some property there and pushed out a lot of the scum to make nice condo's and such. East Side got a lot of the scum pushed out. Still some parts of the place are a "do not be here after dark" but nothing like it was for a while there.

Just to concur with the "it's not the breed" philosophy, as an individual in his 60's who has owned many breeds of dogs, a stray American Staffordshire Terrier (pitbull) was the best dog I have owned... I probally would not own another one simply due to the perception of owning a tough dog like a pitbull, doberman, rottweiler (it's not for me).
He was a stray, neutered male about 2-3 years old (veterinarian's guess) that wandered into my yard in the 1980's, I called the local animal shelters and posted signs, but I could not find the owner. He was in good shape and and been well cared for, clearly an intelligent, well-mannered dog. I could not get myself to take him to the animal shelter because I suspected no one may adopt a pitbull and I was not going to be the one who put him in that situation.
We have had spaniels, labs, shepherds, hounds, collies, poodles, great danes, St. Bernard, etc.... At that time our daughter was in early grade school and she took Boz (named after the Seahawk player at the time) to "Show and Tell", the dog must have thought he was in heaven with 20 kids all wanting to rub his belly and scratch his back....
Times have changed, can not imagine taking a pitbull into a classroom of 1st and 2nd graders in Seattle anymore.

Last Edited:
I have seen Pits suddenly wig out and attack another dog out of the clear blue sky more than once and remember when a friend's pit attacked a kid. The dog had not been encouraged to be vicious. Just to be fair I also remember a Bull-Mastiff that almost ripped the throat out of his owner's kid.
Pits were bred to fight other animals (usually dogs) in a pit, hence "Pit Bull." The breed wasn't developed as a guard dog, but to be the equivalent of a canine MMA fighter.
Dobies were bred as guard dogs. I get a kick out of people who think their Dobie is going to beat a pit. OTOH, if you want a Schutzhund that can shred the perp that's what Dobies were developed to do.

Neighbors had a mixed breed (mostly Malinios?) that was afraid of humans but would attack other dogs.

A cocker spaniel bit my brother because he was teasing it while it was eating - a lot of dogs have a food fixation.

Had a german shorthair when I was a kid that would kill cats if they ran away from it.

Parents had a Westie that was awful stubborn, and tried to bite me once when I insisted it come away from a house it wanted to go into (my parents old condo that they had sold - my dad had died and it missed him - thought my dad was still inside). That dog also had a food fixation.

Again, it isn't necessarily the breed but the owner - especially if the dog had a previous owner that abused it, or teased it, or didn't properly socialize it (my parent's West Highland Terrier, was stubborn and spoiled so had some behavior problems).

Some breeds have various traits, being bred that way, but that doesn't mean they are naturally vicious - there is usually some underlying reason in their individual past why they might attack a human. The neighborhood dog that attacked other dogs had been abused before being adopted (it was dumped here IIRC).

The smartest dog I have personally ever spent a lot of time around was a german shepherd owned by a friend...

I was at a county fair many years ago where two local sheriffs officers put on a display with their german shepherd. One held the leash of the dog while the other filled the role of a perpetrator. A command was given and the dog tried to attack the perpetrator, being held back by the handler. Another command was given and the dog became calm and sat down.

The two officers then switched roles with the handler now playing the perpetrator and the attack command was given again to the dog. The german shepherd tried to attack the individual who only moments previously had been his handler....
It was an impressive level of training, but I was uncomfortable with the situation. It was not a dog I would want around.

I was just looking at the "neighbors" app where people with security cameras report stuff. It represents only a tiny fraction of the total poeple out there that could be robbed. But even with that small fraction of poeple who report on the neighbors app, all these burglaries were reported yesterday from 8am-7pm (ie in broad daylight) in one Portland neighborhood.

Imo the crims know there is virtually no chance of them ever being caught by the law and they know if they are caught they will just be released almost immediately (if they are even arrested). Therefore there is no "risk" in the risk/reward ratio for them. They don't even bother doing it at night anymore.

Burglaries from 8am- 7pm April 1, 2021:

Burglary at se 20th and se Hawthorne

Burglary at se 37th and se Belmont

Burglary at E burnside and se 80th

Burglary at ne 16th and Ne Flanders

Burglary at se 32 and se Hawthorne

Burglary at se 35 and and se Cora drive

Burglary at se 72 and se Holgate

Burglary at se 49th and se Woodstock

Ripe pickings.

I read somewhere that on a per capita basis rural areas have more crime, but in the 9 years I have been here, the only crime I saw on my private road was someone dumping a garbage sack on my neighbor's property.

Ripe pickings.

I read somewhere that on a per capita basis rural areas have more crime, but in the 9 years I have been here, the only crime I saw on my private road was someone dumping a garbage sack on my neighbor's property.

I would hazard a guess that to make numbers like that, having your mailbox trashed is equivalent with a beat down mugging, statistically.

Ripe pickings.

Yea I agree. In a rural area u are much less likely to see something like this video of naked man looking into house at 4:11am this morning on 50th and Powell area:

oops just realized this video may only be viewable on neighbors app. Here are a couple screenshots: 5ACA0414-00E9-431A-9C49-FD50492B8CB8.png 923BCD04-6C4B-4AAA-A6F5-4015634857EF.jpeg

Last Edited:
I would hazard a guess that to make numbers like that, having your mailbox trashed is equivalent with a beat down mugging, statistically.
People who do "stat's" and who are not hiding, will show anyone that they can make stat's say anything they want them to say. When someone wants to "prove" the rural area is just as crime ridden this is exactly how it's done. They play with the stats to get them to say what they want them to say.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top