JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know why I started using Browning Hi-Powers over 40 years ago?

BECAUSE I HAD A GREAT BIG FING BRAIN IS WHY.
Even Browning has gone downhill since moving production to Japan. I owned several Belgian Brownings that put everything else to shame for fit, finish, and reliability.

Why is this topic of other peoples money repeated. I don't have to justify the firearms I purchased to my wife or anyone else except the ATF and my bank.

Here you go. I watched a long video of a guy who spent a lot of time building his M16 clone putting all these Colt parts on. Then he was a _____ complaining the colt upper/lower was too expensive. Awww. It's ok. I'm still angry Santa didn't bring me the 3 wheeler I wanted when I was 13. Now I work and well I can get what I want. And waking up to all these Colts in my bedroom sure does feel nice.

Simpler to make them yourself

YXOaEo.jpg

Even Browning has gone downhill since moving production to Japan. I owned several Belgian Brownings that put everything else to shame for fit, finish, and reliability.
This is an interesting topic. Kinda applies across brands. Older shop owner and I were talking about the same thing. Love a side by side comparison. I'm doing this with a S&W to see if this issue holds true.

Why is this topic of other peoples money repeated. I don't have to justify the firearms I purchased to my wife or anyone else except the ATF and my bank.

Here you go. I watched a long video of a guy who spent a lot of time building his M16 clone putting all these Colt parts on. Then he was a _____ complaining the colt upper/lower was too expensive. Awww. It's ok. I'm still angry Santa didn't bring me the 3 wheeler I wanted when I was 13. Now I work and well I can get what I want. And waking up to all these Colts in my bedroom sure does feel nice.

This is a gun forum, we are going to talk about guns. Nobody is asking anyone to justify anything.

I don't think anyone is saying they are bad guns. Just that they are simply standard and not better than the other "subpar" rifles out there. I used them in the Marine Corps. They shoot and run fine. But their price point is pathetic.

Until you want to sell them, in which case, the price point is awesome.

If I had a dollar for every time I was at a gun shop listening to some poor sap beg for a *little* more money on some weird trade in that nobody wants... I could buy another Colt.

Last Edited:
The reason you pay more for a colt than similar ARs. Colt rifles go through 350 plus gauges (testing) The barrels are tested with 70000 psi cartridges and are then MPI (magnetic partical inspection) tested. MPI will determine if their are any imperfections in the metal. For the civilian market these test may seem unnecessary but for military and or law enforcement it's necessary.

The reason you pay more for a colt than similar ARs. Colt rifles go through 350 plus gauges (testing) The barrels are tested with 70000 psi cartridges and are then MPI (magnetic partical inspection) tested. MPI will determine if their are any imperfections in the metal. For the civilian market these test may seem unnecessary but for military and or law enforcement it's necessary.

Plenty of AR manufacturers MPI their products. Nothing new or justification for the inflated price.

I have owned many a colts.
Pythons
Anacondas
Mustangs
Series 70s
Series 80s
Double Eagles
My favorites are Series 70s Colts Combat Commanders.

No Issues, guess I been lucky.

Prob so. I was gonna joke around before but can't gauge the vibe on here yet. I'm just trying to learn and see who has a better setup than me. Seems like a bunch of older experienced folks or younger 80% types. Been traveling OR to meet real people and get off the internet. Found some interesting shops so far I've only been impressed by one shop in PA. Random thoughts...on the house front I'm trying to figure out ideal terrain type for my range. I love high desert.

And quiet walks on the beach? :p

Wrong! Every rifle is tested by colt most others test in batches say 1 in 10. You may not find value in it because you shoot for fun but for soldiers or marines law enforcement its a must.
You know how many colts or fn rifles I have seen go down on a simple range day in the marines.... a handful. No gun is immune to malfunction. No matter how much money you throw at it. I'd gladly run one of my home builds on an aero or even an Anderson lower against a colt. It just a name. Barrel. BCG. Trigger. That's all that matters.

You know how many colts or fn rifles I have seen go down on a simple range day in the marines.... a handful. No gun is immune to malfunction. No matter how much money you throw at it. I'd gladly run one of my home builds on an aero or even an Anderson lower against a colt. It just a name. Barrel. BCG. Trigger. That's all that matters.
They all will

They all will
Exactly. Overpriced, basic, average AR15. But the military uses them so they have to be high speed. Military uses the lowest bidder. And that was colt and fn. let's be honest the government doesn't give a $hit about the gear or the quality the military has. I love it when people say well it's what the military uses so it has to be good. False...

As far as I know, A1 were not issued in 1917 but in the 20s
Oh, well maybe one isn't an A1. I know one is issued 1917 original and the other is an USMC issue refurbished to original condition. Supposedly somebody thought to "upgrade" its parts somewhere along the line and it took some work to make it right again.

Wrong! Every rifle is tested by colt most others test in batches say 1 in 10. You may not find value in it because you shoot for fun but for soldiers or marines law enforcement its a must.

Sorry, but I'm not wrong here. I cannot speak for how many they test in a batch or whatever but point is Colt isn't doing anything magical by using MPI.

Wrong! They set a standard and then companies bid on being able to make the rifle to that standard. The US military has better equipment than any other country in the world and its not even close. You sound very uneducated. How many deployments have you been on? I ran a 3 man tactical psyop team throughout the middle east. We had benchmade knives ,nightvision ,body armor ,optics a armory on every base awsome field support. No other country spends more on there troops. Make sure you do your research before saying something so ignorant

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top