JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They really do. Their AR's are average with nothing to write home about, their new revolvers are garbage. Their 1911's are nothing special and have average fit/finish.

The older offerings are better but I really don't get why some people still think they are a viable company in 2020. Subpar products at Gucci prices, all for a name and rollmark.

I wish they would go completely BK and go away. Take Taurus and Hi-Point with them while they're at it.

Rant over. :p

Well thank you for this well informed post , with all sorts of evidence to back it up. Now I can make a informed buying decision.:s0140:

Colt rifles aren't suppose to special, just the min you should accept.

Once upon a time the military was the driving force behind AR R&D and Colt answered that call, today the driving force is the civilian market and that is how we end up with all the various options, cartridges and other doodads currently available, some are better than others. It has been a challenge for Colt to unstick themselves from their previous role and "modernize". Just look how long it took them to produce an AR with a mid-length gas system when the rest of the AR world had been doing so for years.

Well, at least my dog can't make a chew toy out of a gun made from Tupperware and Lego's...
(Dang it, I can't believe I went there....) :rolleyes:

I started shooting Colt 1911s over 50 years ago, and presently still do.
The design is/was for a combat pistol, to shoot FMJ ammo, and built to the specs of JMB to be loose enough for reliability, and accurate enough for up close and personal defense.
Yes, several companies build "tighter" and more accurate guns,, but here's the deal;
When you jump off of the landing craft into salt water, and have to crawl thru the mud and sand to engage the enemy you don't want a tightly built gun where some sand/dirt will cause it to fail.
The Colt Government Model is built to survive on the battlefield,, and they do.
Sure, who wouldn't want a Wilson/Ed Brown/Dan Wesson, for a range toy, or for using as a carry gun, where it's kept spotlessly clean and perfectly lubricated.
But, if I had to do a tour in Afghanistan or anywhere else I want a Colt.

I've been real happy with the Colt's I've owned over the years. The only one I have right now is a Series 80 Govt. It needs a new home but not because I'm unhappy with it, I'm just a bit knee deep in 45 ACP weapons and I am liquidating some things prior to the complete communist take-over nationwide. Thanx voters! (Not the voters on NWFA)

I've built several 1911's for LE and Military people for use all over the world, and they're built to pretty tight tolerance and still kept ticking through the mud, the blood and the beer..

dirt.png

As for ARs, what a person should be focused on is the BCG and the barrel...that's the heart and soul of the rifle, the rest is cosmetic.

If you look at the SOLGW website, and look for their BCGs, you'll get a detailed description of what each part is made from etc. Guess what? It's taken from the blueprints that Colt has been using for ions.

Granted, I think most could build a better "usable" AR than Colt, but their BCGs and barrels are nothing to sneeze at. If someone handed me identical ARs, meaning they were outfitted the same...lookwise, I'd take the Colt.

I've built several 1911's for LE and Military people for use all over the world, and they're built to pretty tight tolerance and still kept ticking through the mud, the blood and the beer..

View attachment 793382

As for ARs, what a person should be focused on is the BCG and the barrel...that's the heart and soul of the rifle, the rest is cosmetic.

If you look at the SOLGW website, and look for their BCGs, you'll get a detailed description of what each part is made from etc. Guess what? It's taken from the blueprints that Colt has been using for ions.

Granted, I think most could build a better "usable" AR than Colt, but their BCGs and barrels are nothing to sneeze at. If someone handed me identical ARs, meaning they were outfitted the same...lookwise, I'd take the Colt.
I find it interesting that people jump on the CHF AR Barrel and Colt doesn't use one in their rifles and the military used them for 20+ years

View attachment 793382

I love that gun, if you ever think of selling it please hit me up

^^^Yep and that's why when it came time to stock up on spare parts a portion of what I ended up with was (4) SOLGW BCGs, (3) Colt Barrels & (6) Colt complete bolts and (1) Colt complete upper receiver group w/BCG because I'll know whatever I build or re-build it will start with solid parts.

Wait I thought it was all about brand names when purchasing an AR.... like if you don't have a Colt, KAC, DD, Radian or some other Gucci gun it just won't run right. The gun makes the shooter you know..... I mean those are the safe queens that one can show off to all their "operator" friends.

They may be junk, but hot damn they hold their value.

Poverty pony is the bestest pony!
Milspec is milspec lol. Just make sure you don't get a lower with the trigger pins off center. Haha.

I love this kind of stemwinding posts!!!
Stir that pot.
It makes everyone rethink the couple grand they dumped in a gun just to be a part of a group who have cool, instyle, Gucci guns. You could build a rifle that will run just as effective and have a ton of money left for ammo. You know the stuff you use to actually shoot the rifle you built/bought. From my personal experience most people who buy the super high end stuff are scared to put a scratch on them or have them in the rain so they normally end up sitting in a safe. And then eventually they get sold and they ask insane amounts for them and are disappointed when they don't sell for what they bought them for. I know this cause I have had to bite the bullet after buying high end glocks/ARs/etc. BCG, barrel, and trigger are all that truly matter. The rest is looks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top