JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They really do. Their AR's are average with nothing to write home about, their new revolvers are garbage. Their 1911's are nothing special and have average fit/finish.

The older offerings are better but I really don't get why some people still think they are a viable company in 2020. Subpar products at Gucci prices, all for a name and rollmark.

I wish they would go completely BK and go away. Take Taurus and Hi-Point with them while they're at it.

Rant over. :p

The last Colt l ever bought was a stainless MK lV. In those days (early 90s) you had a choice between Colt and Springfield Armory for a 1911... that was it, save for a few knockoffs from Spain or Brazil.

It never fed 100% with FMJ and JHP was a nonstarter. It jammed constantly, FTF, FTE, you name it. The stainless rusted. It was trash... EXPENSIVE trash.

30 yrs later and I'm still holding a grudge.

Last Edited:
No offense given, but the only people who think Colt put out good products are the people who bought them back in the day. They haven't been a real player in the last 30 plus years.

2023AC26-9215-4900-8CB0-618066AEC5A4.jpeg

:s0114:

My late father's Series 80 was a complete pile. It was sent back to Colt, and serviced by more than one gunsmith but never did operate reliably. Fit and finish were subpar. He wanted to love it so badly, but it ended up getting sold. A POS of a 1911.

The Colt firearms that I own :
Series '70 Government in .45acp ( circa 1972 )
Colt 2nd Generation 1st Model Dragoon ( circa 1970's / 80's )
Colt 1851 Navy ( Circa 1863 )
Colt 1860 Army ( Circa 1868 )
All work well for me and how I shoot with them.

The Colt Firearms that I once owned :
AR15 / SP1 ( Circa 1976 )
Colt Official Police , in .22LR ( Circa mid 1950's )
Colt Official Police in .38 Special ( Circa mid 1950's )
Colt Army Special , in .32-20WCF ( Circa 19teens - 1920's )
Colt 1903 in .32acp ( Circa 1920's )
All worked well for me too.

With all that said...
Is there "hype" going on about Colt firearms...? Sure.
The same could be said about other firearm companies as well.

I am not saying that Colt is all that and a bag of chips...
Or that other firearms , from other companies are better or worse....

Just pointing out that mine , both those currently owned and formerly owned , worked well for me.

At the end of the day....
Buy what you like and can afford...use it well and use it safely.
Andy

They really do. Their AR's are average with nothing to write home about, their new revolvers are garbage. Their 1911's are nothing special and have average fit/finish.

The older offerings are better but I really don't get why some people still think they are a viable company in 2020. Subpar products at Gucci prices, all for a name and rollmark.

I wish they would go completely BK and go away. Take Taurus and Hi-Point with them while they're at it.

Rant over. :p
who peed in your cornflakes this morning

It's difficult to argue with the negs that Colt has garnered in this thread.

The AR design wasn't theirs and it's not a difficult product to make well. Making one is more like working on an automatic transmission than true gunsmithing.

Compared to Smith & Wesson revolver products, vintage Colts tend to problems more quickly and are more expensive to resolve.

The 1911 design, after making it for over 100 years, what's so difficult? Plenty of time to get the bugs worked out, you'd think.

To be fair, the company in its various corporate configurations, has been under the same economic pressures as most of the rest of the US industrial establishment for many years.

Having voiced my criticisms, I'll ad that I own Colt rifle and pistol products with satisfaction.

If it ain't got a Pony, its a Phony!

6EBACE47-D89E-4968-B897-7D67663F8FF8.jpeg
7B6ED9A4-9E3B-4223-86F3-951B596FCF13.jpeg

I honestly believe their current 1911s are pretty good. They updated their product line and made a couple tweeks. These are both new Series 70 guns and run great and are real accurate. They are not uber-tight though. I have mentioned 1911 break in, but these guns seem to run great out of the box. My Dan Wesson is pretty tight and required a few hundred rounds before it quit having hiccups.

I don't see anything wrong with the colt pistols I've shot. All have been accurate with a nice fit. The finish is usually a little worn, but that's expected of 1911 A1's issued in 1917, the New Service I shot, and even the detective special made in the 1920's. I really liked the 1903 hammerless finish, think it had a bone blue.

I think most companies have banked on the roll mark of what they were back in the day. I don't own a Colt and could not justify the price of one. My experience with the ones that I shot were they worked but were not breathtaking. However I believe that very few are breathtaking!
Kinda like the argument that you need a $300+ AR trigger or some other BS that some internet commando or biased media source has suggested! o_O:D

yeah I'm talking about you Geissele!o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads