JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep in mind, just about every manufacturer has issues making small 1911s reliable.

Agree. But hope springs eternal with me.

The Defender has a 3" barrel. I figure maybe that 3.5" Rock Island barrel will give the gun a little more time to do what it needs to do and do it right. It's also modeled similar to the 70 Series, not 80 Series like the Defender, so I won't have to deal with issues arising from that (I think I lost that tiny spring every time I clean that sucker, but I eventually find it).

Agree. But hope springs eternal with me.

The Defender has a 3" barrel. I figure maybe that 3.5" Rock Island barrel will give the gun a little more time to do what it needs to do and do it right. It's also modeled similar to the 70 Series, not 80 Series like the Defender, so I won't have to deal with issues arising from that (I think I lost that tiny spring every time I clean that sucker, but I eventually find it).

4 1/4 is as short as I'll go on a 1911, especially in 45. I need that 1/4 because I insist on a standard weight barrel and bushing.

4 1/4 is as short as I'll go on a 1911, especially in 45. I need that 1/4 because I insist on a standard weight barrel and bushing.
Is that in order to achieve the right balance and recoil control, or other considerations?

Is that in order to achieve the right balance and recoil control, or other considerations?

Its a few things. I want to achieve a useful amount of muzzle velocity, have full size frame for standard magazines, be able to use a standard weight barrel and bushing, have enough weight to keep it controllable, and overall reliability. I'd carry a government model, but I can't IWB carry it as easily. Especially when I try to sit.

Its a few things. I want to achieve a useful amount of muzzle velocity, have full size frame for standard magazines, be able to use a standard weight barrel and bushing, have enough weight to keep it controllable, and overall reliability. I'd carry a government model, but I can't IWB carry it as easily. Especially when I try to sit.
Sounds reasonable. I may adopt that viewpoint if (or when) I continue to have difficulty with smaller barrels. I'll give 'em one more chance…

Nice talking to you. I've been away for too long!

I have been through several "Compact" 1911's over the years, a pair of Kimber Ultra Carry II's, a Colt New Detective, and a Para Warthawg, all run fine, but they all had issues when new! I only have the Colt and the Para now, and of the two, the Para is more reliable, but it's not that big a difference! I learned that any 1911 under 4.5 inches will have issues with feeding, (usually slide over run) which causes all sorts of problems, and it takes time and some tuning to get them to run correctly, Both Colt and Para and to a lesser degree, Kimber have this all figured out, so, you might have gotten a lemon, or you need to have a smith give it a tune! My Para just needed a better set of recoil springs and a better extractor, and it runs like a top now!

You don't need to sit. Just stand up forever.

Colt made great products and still does. No matter how you want to look at it, Colt has major history in this industry. I own 2 colt ARs but also have owned over 10 total in my life time and not a single one "sucked". They may not be as far along as DD, LWRC, BCM, LMT etc etc but they were one of the first in the game (after Armalite of course) and all other companies based their specs on colts specs (originally the armalite specs). I've never had a colt disappoint is all I'm sayin. Tried and true, and worth the $$$

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top