JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just watched a video on how to complete an 80% Glock receiver. That's 20% of the work? No wonder they're getting sued. There's fruit that takes more work to prepare.

I just watched a video on how to complete an 80% Glock receiver. That's 20% of the work? No wonder they're getting sued. There's fruit that takes more work to prepare.
It's almost as if the 80% standard has no foundation in law or unified standard of determining what 80% is. Weird that that vague, meaningless and capricious gridline could ever cause issues

/s

It all comes down to lawyer weasel-words, only lawyers could obfuscate "shall NOT be infringed". It's either a functional GD frame or receiver at the time of purchase, or it isn't.
Given how little it takes to complete, you've just made the argument that it is a functional frame. I had to remove my AR frame from a bubble pack. Is that "completing" it? It wasn't ready to use until I did.

Given how little it takes to complete, you've just made the argument that it is a functional frame. I had to remove my AR frame from a bubble pack. Is that "completing" it? It wasn't ready to use until I did.
How much drilling or machining did you have to do before you could put an upper on that receiver and fire it?

It's almost as if the 80% standard has no foundation in law or unified standard of determining what 80% is. Weird that that vague, meaningless and capricious gridline could ever cause issues
I have often wondered if the 'industry' had never came up with the '80%' description, and called them something different such as 'Modifiable firearm accessory' (or something more creative yet still secretive) if they would have possibly flown 'under the radar' so to speak.

I have often wondered if the 'industry' had never came up with the '80%' description, and called them something different such as 'Modifiable firearm accessory' (or something more creative yet still secretive) if they would have possibly flown 'under the radar' so to speak.
IIRC it was the ATF that came up with the 80% designation. Not that 80% is the same for me as it is for gunsmith . . .

How much drilling or machining did you have to do before you could put an upper on that receiver and fire it?
None. But an AR 80% lower hae to be precisely milled out. The Glock frames could be completed with no skill or tooling. Hard to believe that is 20% of the work.

And this is a SMG receiver.
1688748631911.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.......
1688748793852.png

I think the strategy here (by public entities that are gun control advocates) is to use tax payer money to sue these companies (like POLY80) on multiple fronts until they go bankrupt due to their astronomical legal fees.

If the public entity looses - no skin off their nose. On the contrary, the politicians that filed suit and pursued legal action get lots of PR that is positive in terms of their constituents. They are not out any of their personal (or corporate) cash. They probably expect to loose "the battle" (i.e., the individual suit) but this is a strategy to win "the war".

Poly80 on the other hand, can only withstand so much coming at them from multiple fronts, before their profit margin gets cut down to zero and they have to close shop.

Not the first time this strategy has been used against a business, and not the last.

Last Edited:
Go build one, test fire it & then come back & tell us how it went. Then do the same for an 80% AR lower.

Dan

Nope. Glock parts are common and the finished product is completely legal. So it doesn't really compare with an open bolt Sten.

But I'm also pointing out that the Glock 80% is easier than cutting the mag and ejection ports in a steel tube.
Go build one, test fire it & then come back & tell us how it went. Then do the same for an 80% AR lower.

Dan
Maybe the AR receiver is also child's play to finish. But the video I watched on https://www.80percentarms.com/glock-80-lower/ was considerably easier than clipping and pinning an HK lower (which I have done).

You still don't get it..
Nope. Glock parts are common and the finished product is completely legal. So it doesn't really compare with an open bolt Sten.

But I'm also pointing out that the Glock 80% is easier than cutting the mag and ejection ports in a steel tube.

Maybe the AR receiver is also child's play to finish. But the video I watched on https://www.80percentarms.com/glock-80-lower/ was considerably easier than clipping and pinning an HK lower (which I have done).
You still don't get it. FWIW..I don't see the video link you're referencing.
AND if you believe "the AR receiver is also child's play to finish." I'll say again, go build one, fire it and come back & let us know how it went.
Just to be up front, you've built how many 80% AR's & how many 80% Glocks? I'd hate to mislead the public here.

Dan

You still don't get it..

You still don't get it. FWIW..I don't see the video link you're referencing.
AND if you believe "the AR receiver is also child's play to finish." I'll say again, go build one, fire it and come back & let us know how it went.
Just to be up front, you've built how many 80% AR's & how many 80% Glocks? I'd hate to mislead the public here.

Dan
I can't find the video now either, but it shows the instructions outlines the same thing:

Use the jig to drill 6 holes, clip then sand the webs on the top and front. Done.

No, I have not done this. Only things like it that were much harder.

Here's the instructions for the complex jig with router you use to mill the AR frame:

The Glock frame is super simple and easy. The AR does not look to be. Since you haven't stated what you think, all I can do is guess what you're getting at.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top