JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should definitely order it at a restaurant once or twice before you put in the effort of cooking one.
You might just not like it.
I don't care for duck.
I used to get half ducks from the Asian places in Los Angeles, it was amazing. My fave was four roasted duck heads for $1.00 still plenty of meat on them.

Christmas Dinner actually happens Christmas Eve, it's taken my wife a decade and a half to persuade me to go this route. All the effort gets put forth the night before. So it'll be oven roasted prime rib, oven roasted rosemary potatoes, oven roasted butternut squash, steamed butternut squash, candied yams, green beans, Russian salad and homemade pumpkin pies.

Last years dinner included a few Latin American treats as well…

9EF125E3-FF40-4ED2-AB4D-5A9D29E28856.jpeg

Last Edited:
Thanksgiving, we do turkey.

Christmas, we do ham and roast pork.

In times when meat is expensive, turkey is a good option. By the time we've rendered down the carcass for making soup, about the only waste is the skin and bones.

We've occasionally bought frozen turkey breast when it was deeply discounted at Fred Meyer, but we've found that it seems to lack the flavor of meat from the whole bird.

We keep a sharp patrolling eye out at FM after major holidays in the hope of finding meat item bargains. Which can be set aside for some time by freezing.

Fresh cranberry sauce is a must at both of these major holidays. On Thanksgiving, there is home-made turkey dressing with apples and raisins. On Christmas, there are buttery yams topped with marshmallows.

I voted for arbys beef'n'cheddars with onion buns and curly fries but the vote didn't exactly swing my way.

Crusted Elk roast. Whole chilled fresh caught dungeness w/seasoned hot butter sauce. Brussel sprout off the stalk, starch... smoked oyster stuffing/brown sugar sweet taters/chunky skin on garlic mash taters w/gibblet gravy. I'll just about guarantee someone will bring french cut green bean, creamed mushroom with french fried onion topped casserole. Shimp cocktail appetizers.

How greenbean casserole became a tradition... of all things... I have no idea. It's not "that" crazy delicious. 🤣

Ordered the Beef Wellington from Whole Foods.

Anymore, I order pickup/takeout dinners like that.

We used to go to the farm for Thanksgiving & Xmas. Then my grandparents passed and it was kind of off and on until we sold the farm, then it was going to my parents when they were home (they snowbirded) or my kids would fix dinner, then we started going to restaurants until the pandemic.

Now my parents are gone and we haven't gone to a restaurant since the pandemic, so it is ordering a dinner of some sort. For XMas eve we have Chinese takeout, then something more conventional for XMas day.
Hey, try cooking. Something that really resonates with you. The cooking will be more gratifying than you think. Even when the kids aren't ready to hear it. It's worth it.

Might hit BK up on that 2 Whopper meals for $5.99 deal.
Otherwise, probably a couple of PB&J's and some soup.
...of course, I just bought 10lbs. of chicken so maybe (w/a can of mushroom soup)....

2022_0705_184705_Chicken&Veggies.jpg

Last Edited:
@DeanMk before, cooked, and carved from last Christmas.

It's relatively simple:
  1. Start with good meat and optionally a rub.
  2. Cook in oven at 500F for 15min.
  3. Reset over to 200F, cook until desired internal temp.

I have a convection oven. My experience has been about 30min per pound at 200F.

Before.jpeg Carved.jpeg Cooked.jpeg

Christmas eve dinner. Knodel. Owner of ifish' tradition that stuck with the two of us. Three meat meatballs made w/rice and onion smothered/simmered with sauerkraut and side of mashed potatoes.

My family tradition growing up was always just a breakfast after gift opening. Mom and dad were always working late on Christmas eve. Only difference was Christmas day breakfast we got TWO kinds of meat! Bacon AND link sausage.

Mine and Wifey's new tradition as of about four years ago has become, after getting gifts opened, going down to a local open 365 days a year dive bar. The kind of bar regular people probably don't want to go to later at night. A lot of people work on Christmas Eve though. This bar/restaurant opens at 7:00 am. The clientele are working people of all colors that live nearby. Good people. We gamble a little, drink a little, and eat breakfast. Jane knows people there every year because they shop at the store. It's a good time, and the rest of the day just sit back and be glad the whole damned thing is over! :s0023:

My wife will go to her sisters house and bring me back a plate of left overs. Way less drama if I keep my conservative gun tote'n values out of their liberal, electric car driving household. See the problem is that my brother in law thinks he needs to show me the errors of my ways but will try to shout me down if I return the favor. Last Christmas he had to show me his Tesla doing all sorts of blinky light-open and close door things while blaring Mannheim steam orchestra. I told him it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen a car do.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top