JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i got my Oregon CHL today and carried for the first time when i went out for my usual walk. What i discovered is holy crap my fully loaded 1911 feels heavy on the waist (OTW). Was actually way less fussy over the position of my gun than i anticipated but every time i did it just felt like it was pulling on my belt so it was not level.

Might have a better experience with a different belt (I didnt use one with the notches and bar, rather one that you pull through the aluminum loops and tighten) but im thinking i might personally enjoy carrying a smaller/lighter variant. Been looking at some S&W 44 mag revolvers but weight wise i think they come out about the same.

I have a ton of holsters, IWB, OWB, SOB, Shoulder, Ken Null SWW upside-down etc. but what I use almost exclusively for CC now is a Braid Wallet Holster. I have one for my Taurus TCP and one for my S&W Shield depending on how I am dressed. Fits in back pocket like a wallet, prints like a wallet, can't even feel it sitting in chair or car (like a wallet), unsnaps for pocket carry. I just put it in my rear pocket every time I leave (like a wallet). It's the best holster I have found to make sure I "always carry".

Exhilarating isint it? Get a better belt....
I really had that feeling of everyone knew i was carrying but mostly i was just pissed at my belt the whole time. Switching to the proper one from this point on. Might go through a few holsters and guns to find my perfect match but i can tell ill get more comfortable with it in time :)

for the first couple days i was carrying,it was like everywhere i went i was on super high alert for anyone who might want to rob me or hurt my family. not like, looking for a reason to draw my weapon but,i mean i felt i looked at every face and waist that walked by me. i never adjusted or put my hand on my gun though. ive came back down to earth since then and realized not everyone is trying to kill me.

So i got my Oregon CHL today and carried for the first time when i went out for my usual walk. What i discovered is holy crap my fully loaded 1911 feels heavy on the waist (OTW). Was actually way less fussy over the position of my gun than i anticipated but every time i did it just felt like it was pulling on my belt so it was not level.

Might have a better experience with a different belt (I didnt use one with the notches and bar, rather one that you pull through the aluminum loops and tighten) but im thinking i might personally enjoy carrying a smaller/lighter variant. Been looking at some S&W 44 mag revolvers but weight wise i think they come out about the same.

Yeah, that is not a gunbelt! Your gunbelt is 1/2 of the package! Get the widest belt that will fit the belt loops and holster! They aren't cheap, the best belt I ever got was under $50, at Shooters Service Center. On N Lombard in Saint Johns. :) Unfortunately, most cost plenty more!

Oh, BTW, .45's are heavy!:D So are .44 Magnums!

I love carrying my 1911s. Your belt definitely will make a difference. Check out the Magpul Tejas gunbelt. I've been using mine for a little over a month and it's awesome!

I switched from a webbing style "duty belt" that had a D-ring for climbing. Used it for almost four years, and it was awesome for carry as well. It was thicker because it was "life safety" rated, so it could handle even a government size 1911 no problem.

And as far as holsters, I'm using the Wilson Combat Summertime Companion. LOVE it. It seems expensive, but I haven't looked back since making the switch. I really like the grip presentation, and it still stays close to your body.

Anyway, congrats on your first day! I felt the same, like everyone knows you're doing it. Turns out people are pretty clueless! Carry on!

Two recommendations for carrying a 1911:

1) get yourself a real gun belt, preferably one that is reinforced, BigFoot gun belts are great, they don't sag and twist up...

<removed dead link>

2) get yourself a high quality, double loop holster. I highly recommend the Milt Sparks Nexus. Its an inside the waistband and is incredibly comfortable... It's thin, distributes the weight and hides very well under a shirt...
Nexus | Milt Sparks Holsters

Can't go wrong with either of those choices. Take it from someone who wasted hundreds of dollars to get it right...

And congratulations on your first day of carrying!!!

Yeah a 1911 is quite the piece to commit to carry 7 days a week. Perhaps a lighter 9mm (Glock 19, SW Shield, etc.) might be a good idea?

These are my vote for the best carry belts

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Ratc...TF8&qid=1478917685&sr=8-6&keywords=track+belt

I don't know how they hold up for a 1911/ .44 mag but they do quite well for a 19 and Shield.

Great advice here! I carry a full size double stack 1911 and can tell you, a 56 oz 1911 will test your belt and holster setup like no other! +1 for the Milt Sparks Holsters and like every one has pointed out, A top quality Belt with a good buckle! I had a Ted Blocker Custom holster made a year ago, and I cannot say enough good things about these holsters! Congrats on your first day exercising your rights!

My holster. The only part i dislike about it is my gun does not slide out unless i use 2 hands to hold the holster while i tug the gun (obviously a problem). I wonder if that's actually caused by the rail under the barrel. Holster might have been designed for a standard 1911.
20161111_195712.jpg 20161111_195753.jpg

In that picture it looks like that holster is meant for a non railed 1911. Like you stated, that's probably what is causing the difficult draw.

Speaking of difficult draws, I'd be wary of Alien Gear for a railed 1911 as well. A couple friends ordered their holsters for their guns (Sigs and Glocks) and loved them so I thought I'd try it out. I ordered and received the correct holster molded for a railed gun, but had to pull the holster away from my body or loosen my belt to get the gun out. Obviously not ideal for self defense...I've since switched to non railed for my carry 1911, so unfortunately I don't have much more to say for holster selection for that gun. Good luck though. Nothing like the feeling of getting your carry setup squared away!

In that picture it looks like that holster is meant for a non railed 1911. Like you stated, that's probably what is causing the difficult draw.

Speaking of difficult draws, I'd be wary of Alien Gear for a railed 1911 as well. A couple friends ordered their holsters for their guns (Sigs and Glocks) and loved them so I thought I'd try it out. I ordered and received the correct holster molded for a railed gun, but had to pull the holster away from my body or loosen my belt to get the gun out. Obviously not ideal for self defense...I've since switched to non railed for my carry 1911, so unfortunately I don't have much more to say for holster selection for that gun. Good luck though. Nothing like the feeling of getting your carry setup squared away!
Yeah im gonna have to look around to see if i can find a holster meant to hold one with a rail. I have a Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops. Although it "fits" you can see where the rail left an imprint. With some more breaking in and some of that stuff that makes it easier to draw if you coat the holster with it (Forgot the name) it might be just fine. Would rather have the right tool for the job though! I don't even plan on using the rail. Just happend to be the first gun i bought and didn't think about that feature at the time.

The rail is nice to have though! I have one 1911 with a light on my night stand, and the standard is what I carry. Makes for an easy transition. Guess you just need to get a second gun ;)

The rail is nice to have though! I have one 1911 with a light on my night stand, and the standard is what I carry. Makes for an easy transition. Guess you just need to get a second gun ;)
Oh poor me ;) Really wanna carry a revolver! Looking around it appears the size will be about the same but this one i liked because its only 25 ounces compared to my 1911's 42 ounces.

Model 329PD | Smith & Wesson

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top