JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have gotten a few belts from a leather goods guy at the Portland Saturday market (he comes up from Eugene, I can't tell you his name). About $35, 1/4" thick, 1 7/8" tall, single piece, non-reinforced. I am 12 years in on mine (I wear it daily), and its doing good.

One piece non-reinforced leather belt works great for IWB, but as the belt softens up, an OWB setup will twist and sag the belt. For OWB you really should get a reinforced belt.
Ted Blocker over in Tigard uses steel instead of the much more common plastic for reinforcing belts.

I really like a conventional thumb break/Hammer block for my 1911 carry, just that little bit of extra security that keeps it "locked in"
I use a thumb break style for my 1911 when I'm in the toolies. The one I use most of the time is an IWB and uses no retention besides friction and does a great job. I almost trust it enough to use in place of the first holster. Almost. ;)
I believe in good belts to go with good holsters. I can carry a steel Commander all day with good stuff, but my Shield can give me fits just because of the holster it's in. I do need to fix that issue.

I first started carrying back in the fanny pack days. That and a shoulder holster rig... To start with the fanny packs blended right in, so no concerns. The shoulder holster needed a jacket to cover it and didn't get used too much. When I finally got around to belt holster carry I was very concerned it would be noticeable that I was carrying. No, that's not true, I was sure everyone was watching me.
Make sure you don't make abnormal clothing adjustments and quit touching it, you'll be fine. After a while you'll relax and won't be so concerned about being "discovered".

Last Edited:
Barsony Leather has some nice belts. I get my stuff from them off ebay. I just went from carrying a Ruger LCP9 to a S & W SD 40 VE. Heavier, but after shooting both side by side the .40 is now the EDC. It did not take too long to get used to it, and having 29 rounds versus 17 is better. (Magazine, 1 in pipe and spare mag)

I use a thumb break style for my 1911 when I'm in the toolies. ;)

For "toolie" carrying and other times where I want additional retention, I've become quite fond of my G Code XST holster. That thing is built like a tank and fairly versatile due to G Code's RTS mounting system. I can wear in on the belt, wear it on the belt with a bit of a drop, run it in a drop leg, mount it horizontally on a chest rig...lots of options.

You can have the best of any gear and it will still feel abnormal.
It takes time to get used to carrying. Whether it's a full size pistol or a pocket pistol.

Carry everyday and soon enough you will feel incredibly naked without it.

For the past year,I've been swapping between a snub nose revolver (now gone) ,a Polish P64 in my pocket,or a 1911 Colt Commander on my hip.
In town,I feel like a bull in a China closet carrying the Colt,and I can completely relate to the OP.
I'm in N. PDX/Milwaukie a lot,but usually I'm at home or in the Natl. Forest-I swap according to the venue.
Less hassle and changing back and forth would be nice,but I'm slowly getting used to it.
I might just go back to a revolver..?..

You can have the best of any gear and it will still feel abnormal.
It takes time to get used to carrying. Whether it's a full size pistol or a pocket pistol.

Carry everyday and soon enough you will feel incredibly naked without it.

This^^^^

Carry as much/often as possible! I never forget I'm carrying and if I'm wearing my pants, I'm armed. Even at home!
To get comfortable with carrying, carry until it's comfortable! Physically and psychologically!
I always remember I'm armed so I'm on the lookout for trouble! Mostly, because l don't want to use my gun!!!!! Have fun! :cool:

Photo's of my 9mm Sig and the leatherman tool pouches I use as magazine pouches.

IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0476.JPG

Last Edited:
This^^^^

Carry as much/often as possible! I never forget I'm carrying and if I'm wearing my pants, I'm armed. Even at home!
To get comfortable with carrying, carry until it's comfortable! Physically and psychologically!
I always remember I'm armed so I'm on the lookout for trouble! Mostly, because l don't want to use my gun!!!!! Have fun! :cool:

Photo's of my 9mm Sig and the leatherman tool pouches I use as magazine pouches.

View attachment 322949 View attachment 322950

Agreed, I never leave the house for anything, even a quick run to the store, without carrying. As a result, I can't make it even to my car without realizing I didn't put my holster on - it just feels wrong without it.

That is the first time anywhere I've seen someone mention using Leatherman tool pouches for extra mags - what a great idea!! I'm going to have to do that - I struggle with the extra magazine thing, but I think I could pull that off. :cool:

My holster. The only part i dislike about it is my gun does not slide out unless i use 2 hands to hold the holster while i tug the gun (obviously a problem). I wonder if that's actually caused by the rail under the barrel. Holster might have been designed for a standard 1911.
View attachment 322549 View attachment 322550

I have two just like that, made by Barsony in Beaverton. One I have had for 3 years and carry a Ruger LCP9 in it. It wore in pretty good after about a year and i had not problem clearing the gun. I did a lot of hand drills, unsnapping the retention strap and getting the gun presented properly.

I just got one for my S & W SD 40 and it was a bit tight to start with. I jammed the gun in there pretty hard and left it sit in the case while I was waiting on my trigger mods to come. I would pull it out a couple times a day and move it around and manipulate the gun in the holster and is seemed to stretch out pretty good. I have been carrying it EDC now for week and it seems to fit and clear good. I bought a leather mag holder as well, really like it.

This question is kind of off topic and I know there was a thread on this awhile back but can't find it.

Of all the people that carry how many of you have insurance and which one is the best?
I was looking USCCA.

This^^^^

View attachment 322949 View attachment 322950
Agreed, the pants go on, so does the holster. Never leave home unarmed, and carry when I am home.

The more you carry, the more comfortable you'll become with it. One day you will realize that it has become part of your routine, your second nature...

Not that you become compliant or complacent, just that daily carry become a more natural act...

And has been said, you never forget your carrying, your situational awareness will increase, you'll become more astute about avoiding trouble, that's just a natural side effect...

Agreed, I never leave the house for anything, even a quick run to the store, without carrying. As a result, I can't make it even to my car without realizing I didn't put my holster on - it just feels wrong without it.

That is the first time anywhere I've seen someone mention using Leatherman tool pouches for extra mags - what a great idea!! I'm going to have to do that - I struggle with the extra magazine thing, but I think I could pull that off. :cool:

Well, I've used them for years. They aren't as long lasting as leather, but I live near the Leatherman store in NE PDX! They often have some on sale. The ones in the photo were free, brand new!
They even have Molle, pouches!

Well, I've used them for years. They aren't as long lasting as leather, but I live near the Leatherman store in NE PDX! They often have some on sale. The ones in the photo were free, brand new!
They even have Molle, pouches!

Sounds like a good excuse to swing by their store!

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks.

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks.

To summarize - play with your gun, not your balls....

Sorry, couldn't help myself :oops: My crude humor aside, it's a great quote :)

I've walked out of my house several times forgetting my keys or phone, but always remember my EDC.

I got a new car and now I need to find a new truck gun hiding place.
Not much storage there.

I had a ford escape and in the center console the main compartment lifted out and there was a space underneath it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top