JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw the 2018 review which gives me pause. The pictures however show a very well made product.
Is there a local option I should investigate?

1704948719370.png

I've got that exact model. It went with me to carry my 1911 during deer season. It's pretty well made. What kind of a holster are you looking for? I like Mitch Rosen, with a semi close second to Ted Blocker.

Last Edited:
Guys, thanks for sharing your experiences. I will look into the three other companies mentioned as well.

What I am looking for is the most comfortable concealed carry option I can find. The gun is a Colt 1911
5" gold cup model from the mid 70's. I only want a very secure type holster with a thumb break.
Also Leather only as the synthetics may over time abrade the finish.

Guys, thanks for sharing your experiences. I will look into the three other companies mentioned as well.

What I am looking for is the most comfortable concealed carry option I can find. The gun is a Colt 1911
5" gold cup model from the mid 70's. I only want a very secure type holster with a thumb break.
When carrying a gold cup , be mindful of the sharp edges on the rear sight.

OP...
You asked about a specific brand, Old El Paso, but you also showed a specific holster, a tanker.

Are you wanting a shoulder holster? If so, may I suggest the Diamond D chest rig. It can be worn on the chest or slid around and under the arm. i believe it to be better and more comfortable than a tanker. And it is quite wonderful for a 1911.

Or if you are asking for any other concealed recommendations, the sky is the limit. Old El Paso, De Santis, Bianchi...they all make very dandy belt holsters, causing a high and tight ride for a huge variety of pistols. Just make sure it's attached to a quality, no-stretch belt.

I have carried 1911's as well as many other large handguns, in all the above rigs. A quality rig causes even a 1911 to ride completely concealed, as well as with great comfort. Many of the above holsters do so well, I catch myself checking to make sure I am in fact carrying, as they are so comfortable, I cannot tell I'm carrying.

Mitch Rosen OWB is what you seek.

It might just be me, but when I carried a shoulder holster that attached to the belt, I found it very uncomfortable and restricting when reaching up or bending down.

No experience with their actual goods and everything I've read indicates very high quality. The one and only time I tried to order a holster and related items it was an utter farce when it came to communication with them. Not going to waste my time again as there are other options. YMMV.

If you wan to CC in a shoulder rig? I have LONG used Galco. The Jackass or Miami Classic. Have both. I tend to lean more to the Miami Classic now days. I use mine with no attachment to belt so the rig can move with me getting in and out of vehicles.

Wayne-

El Paso Saddlery
#200 Shoulder System – Double Holster Rig
$288.00
Looks pretty Decent. 3-4 months out.

View attachment 1801113

D&D for $225. 2 months out. I like this, thanks for all the help!

View attachment 1801112
Aker, seems pretty decent, and I used one for couple years . Is a thumb-break and all leather, and comfortable, as I was carrying a Full size w/ also 2 extra full mags . has adjustment points, for body shape and It got way more softer and comfortable the more months you wear.

I have a few holsters from El Paso Saddlery and they are good. As a Cavalryman I wore a tanker holster for many years. The Tanker holster is great for Tankers and folks who ride ATVs or snowmobiles. It is not a good concealment holster. I wear my El Paso Tanker holster when in my Jeep in the mountains. My every day holsters are mostly Mitch Rosen OWB types.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top