JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So let's say you have a valid OR CHL and wanted to determine whether you'd be comfortable legally carrying a handgun that you haven't purchased yet. What if a buddy offered to let you carry his legally-purchased post SB941 handgun to find out?

Would that be legal?

i am not a lawyer and my advice isnt intended to be law breaking but only as a hypothetical scenario: theoretically it depends if it can be proven that it doesnt belong to you. IE: purchase date. also, concealed means concealed.

also, i guess if its a legal post sb941 gun i dont know that particular law well enough to know the legalities of a borrowed firearm. from what I understand you cannot lend a gun unless you are at a range? or hunting? as long as the owner is present? or immediate family.

also, i guess if its a legal post sb941 gun i dont know that particular law well enough to know the legalities of a borrowed firearm. from what I understand you cannot lend a gun unless you are at a range? or hunting? as long as the owner is present? or immediate family.

Yea, only if your with him. Otherwise you would have to do a transfer to him and then back.

If he is going to carry it to try it out for comfort then I would highly suggest carrying a primary gun and not to shoot anyone with your gun.

Hypothetically, if the gun was purchased FTF before the BS laws then they can't really prove it isn't his gun if you loan it to him, but I wouldn't ever break a law or advocate it in writing.

So let's say you have a valid OR CHL and wanted to determine whether you'd be comfortable legally carrying a handgun that you haven't purchased yet. What if a buddy offered to let you carry his legally-purchased post SB941 handgun to find out?

Would that be legal?
the short answer is no, and that includes guns purchased pre 941 as well.

Thanks all for your input.

This hypothetical problem may then, in a way, contribute to the glut of late model handguns available with <200 rounds through the pipe.

Stated differently, it usually only takes a week or so to realize that you should have purchased a different model but by then is too late since you couldn't take a 10-day test drive beforehand.
o_O

What about the 7 day loan thing written into the bill? Carrying a firearm is a sporting purpose. Hell, you may be on your way to an IDPA match, your person is just the container carrying the firearm until you get to the "match"

I was going to start this with,doesn't matter if you aren't being an A hole ,but....
Personally,even when I lived in WA I didn't care much about the new BS (don't try this at home).
But really all I would do is carry it as a woods gun,cause if you had to shoot someone,that's when the pooples hits the air mover.
So really no good way to do it without him being there? or a transfer

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads