JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've just the one - everything is on it, including ammunition.....it's called a Firearms Certificate - FAC for short. I have just twenty-three entries on it. Many of my shooting buddies here have fifty or more. This is not quite the 'gun desert' that many of you imagine it to be.

However, over in the Republic of Ireland, a place I've never heard ANY of you criticise, EVERY gun has its own FAC. And everything over 1 Joule is classed as an FAC. All empty cases are counted as live rounds And airgun pellets are FAC items, just like regular ammunition.

NO reloading, except for the elite members of the national squad, and even then, in a bunker, with security, at one location. Just 40-something people out of the 125,000 gun owners...no Black Powder guns of any kind, BTW. The country's Explosives Act does not mention propellants, having been written in the late 1880s, before nitro powder became commonplace.

There's a lot more than that, too, but I'd hate to ruin any illusions you might have about the place..........................
Goodness gracious. Gun laws. Yuck.

My first handloading effort toward serious performance upgrade was with a 45-70. Even though it requires case lube for sizing, it's a lot like loading handgun rounds, just bigger. I had Kurt at H&K throat my Browning to allow bullets seated long and stuffed the cases with RL7. If I was loading the 45-70 still I'd try it on the progressive press. I think it would work well.

My first handloading effort toward serious performance upgrade was with a 45-70. Even though it requires case lube for sizing, it's a lot like loading handgun rounds, just bigger. I had Kurt at H&K throat my Browning to allow bullets seated long and stuffed the cases with RL7. If I was loading the 45-70 still I'd try it on the progressive press. I think it would work well.
If you hade just the one rifle in .45-70 Govt, like I do, then there really was little point to resizing - every time you shoot that case it will have been resized the same. I've shot my couple of hundred cases many times over without resizing them - all I do is to very slightly bell the mouth to load the bullet, and then crimp 'em slightly.

Some calibers aren't as fun to reload as others. Some are quite enjoyable.

I'm likely going to eliminate 38/357 or severely reduce my need to reload and or have that much of that caliber and I'm interested in adding another caliber in its absence.

So….

What calibers do you enjoy reloading and why?

Thanks!

Reno
I have to say I really like loading .357 mag...I have a couple PC Smith revolvers and a Henry X in .357 and they are a blast to shoot (no pun intended)! Also with factory .357 over a buck a round, reloading is the way to go!

I don't know brother, I don't think I have ever enjoyed a more versatile cartridge than .357/.38 because you can also shoot some of those bullets in 9mm. Handguns and carbines all using same bullets and tons of profiles...can also size those projectiles to .352 in a step or two and shoot them in a .351wsl if you can find a 1907 Winchester. You can usually find projectiles in the .358 .357 caliber fairly easily and not as expensive. I make my own but whenever I'm looking around I can usually find them. I don't think I've ever seen more versatility than 38/357. As far as a handgun cartridge anyway.

Edit...also making shot charges for them is kinda fun and useful. They will knock a rat on his arse and not wreck your sheetrock or siding.
talking RAT loads my brother used to load wax bullets for rat hunting in the barn. contender 357 with only a primer and no powder. to make wax bullets melt the wax in a pan and let cool then use the case to cut the bullets cookie cutter style. range about 10 feet

talking RAT loads my brother used to load wax bullets for rat hunting in the barn. contender 357 with only a primer and no powder. to make wax bullets melt the wax in a pan and let cool then use the case to cut the bullets cookie cutter style. range about 10 feet
I'm shocked that would hold together!

I'm shocked that would hold together!
wax loads go way back. cut the bullets while the wax is still warm works best you can make the bullets as long as you want by different wax thickness try it. makes a good practice load too. and yes they will hold together and kill a RAT

wax loads go way back. cut the bullets while the wax is still warm works best you can make the bullets as long as you want by different wax thickness try it. makes a good practice load too. and yes they will hold together and kill a RAT
Get some fencing gear and have shoot-outs with some buddies in the barn!

Some calibers aren't as fun to reload as others. Some are quite enjoyable.

I'm likely going to eliminate 38/357 or severely reduce my need to reload and or have that much of that caliber and I'm interested in adding another caliber in its absence.

So….

What calibers do you enjoy reloading and why?

Thanks!

Reno
45 ACP
easy to reload and tons of recipes available tp try out.

Awesome! I used to shoot plastic bullets out of the .45 ACP when I was in my early 20's. I was shocked it'd go clean through a full newspaper!

Trainer case and bullet.jpg trainer assembeled.jpg
38 Special. Don't know if you can still get them, but we had a lot of fun with these several years ago.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top