JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Least expensive per round rifle cartridge?

• Total voters
Reactions
I'm getting out of reloading.

It is pay to play from here on out.

So what's the least expensive per round rifle cartridge these days?

Trying to decide if one more rifle cartridge is worth investing in or if I should just stick with rimfire.

223/5.56 is currently the cheapest of the calibers that you listed per round. The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the Russian/soviet calibers are going to be harder to find and there are current few suppliers for them state side.

Looks like .223/556 is going to stay lowest. They crank out so much of it that it stays cheap compared to others. I keep hearing they were going to cut off the cheap steel case stuff from being imported in the 7.62 39 but still seeing it for sale.

I would say .223 or 7.62x39. I lean towards 223 as ammo availability and the cost will continue to come down from its current price. 7.62 cost will continue to increase as all the cheaper import ammo continuse to dry up amd manufacturing becomes almost exclusively domestic.

I would lean toward 223 as I prefer the range/accuracy the caliber provides over 7.62. If you prioritize inside 200 yards with man size targets I would look at 7.62. Of course rifles intended use and volume of ammo would also be a large factor.

Looks like .223/556 is going to stay lowest. They crank out so much of it that it stays cheap compared to others. I keep hearing they were going to cut off the cheap steel case stuff from being imported in the 7.62 39 but still seeing it for sale.
They are ready did, the only ones we are seeing are the ones that have been sitting in shipping containers waiting to be offloaded.

The CZ 600 in 223 or 7.62 is definitely on the list. Then again as is the 457 in 17hmr.

Im not sold on the Rugers they aren't there for the price, maybe $200-300.

Voted 7.62x39
Acknowledging that .40 per rd is current average, cheaper deals still come up often. I predict that I will buy at least another 5-6K rds before summer ends this year . I doubt I'll pay more than. 35per

Those voting for .223 / 5.56 , are you actually running steel case ? Because brass is not dropping below .35per , unless you are able to buy half a pallet.

5.45 if you can find it always seems to be priced like 5.56 with 50% more ammo in the box.

Really anything steel cased, I suppose.

Voted 7.62x39
Acknowledging that .40 per rd is current average, cheaper deals still come up often. I predict that I will buy at least another 5-6K rds before summer ends this year . I doubt I'll pay more than. 35per

Those voting for .223 / 5.56 , are you actually running steel case ? Because brass is not dropping below .35per , unless you are able to buy half a pallet.
I recently managed to get some for $0.37 a round for a case.

If cheap is your only requirement, 5.56 is hard to beat for centerfire. Just perusing SGAmmo.com confirms this.

If good enters the equation at all, milsurp should never enter your shopping cart. This changes things. Are you looking for quantity or quality?

What is the least expensive rifle caliber in 2023?

.22 LR

1682321294947.png

Aloha, Mark

@Reno - getting out of reloading... How much centerfire are you budgeting to shoot in a month?
Good question. Maybe 100 rounds or so between the calibers left. I'm a weekend warrior, so mostly try to hit the range on Sundays. If the black powder range is being used I go to the 50/100. If the weather ever decides to be nice I'll hit up an action bay and plink. Don't need much these days to clear my mind and try and forget my body hates me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top