JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One must consider the entire system not just the cartridge or the weapon. I think. For example, you could say the 6.5 grendel is ballistically superior to the 5.56x45 for many purposes, and I would not argue. However in the AR15 it is not optimal as it makes the the bolt much more prone to failure. I have now broken one lug and one extractor shooting 2500 rounds or so or 7.62x39 through an AR. I love the combo for rec use but it would not be optimal for something you had to rely on to function correctly over thousands of rounds. I think Stoner and Kalashnikov both got it mostly correct and with proper projectile choice both weapons are still viable today.

I think Stoner and Kalashnikov both got it mostly correct and with proper projectile choice both weapons are still viable today.
I think the AK is a formidable weapon but the one disadvantage is its lacking a way to mount most optics directly to the barrel assembly.

For the effective range of the 7.62x39 no optics are required. If desired the side rail on the receiver provides a plenty rigid mount for a low power optic and the task at hand.

For the effective range of the 7.62x39 no optics are required. If desired the side rail on the receiver provides a plenty rigid mount for a low power optic and the task at hand.
There are also a number of gas tubes that provide optic mounts for many AKs - the key is to find one that provides a tight fit or otherwise is a fit/mount that doesn't move.

When I was younger, I was able to hit human sized targets with an AK, at 500 meters, about 50% of the time, standing off hand. I wouldn't want to be inside that range with someone shooting at me with an AK or an AR.

Although my vision is not as sharp as it once was, you would not want me shooting at you with irons at 500. I have not practiced with irons at that range in a long time but I still can regularly hit a 12" plate at 300 using irons with either weapon.

LMAO

IMG_3186.jpeg

with the amount of drop with either of the two I cant imagine shooting 500yds with irons.
We did it in the Marines to qualify. 500 meters with irons on a M16. Now they all get Acogs…..

Huh. I got here by reading the "Garand Thumb" subject line. Yet, I see no discussion of same.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, soldiers who carried the M1 Rifle referred to it as, "M1 Thumb."

Yes, we'll never know the actual effect unless we have live, human bodies to shoot at. Which I hasten to add, I'm not advocating for hobby or research purposes. Those transparent, life-sized Visable Man dummies look expensive, don't they?
I've had M1/M1A thumb several times in my checkered career. I don't recommend it...

I've had M1/M1A thumb several times in my checkered career. I don't recommend it...
Over the decades that I've been a gun fancier, I've had probably 20 or more M1 Rifles. Of those rifles, I'd guess that about 3/4 of them the bolt wouldn't slam home on it's own, they needed a slight bump on the op rod hook most of the time to get the first round into battery. Yes, some would slap right home and you had to watch what you were doing. But those were well in the minority,.

Yes, I grease the action as recommended.

M1A / M14 Thumb, I've never had that issue what with the handy removable magazine.

When I think about it, maybe there is a wear factor that increases the tendency for the bolt to slap home on its own. I've always tried to get rifles in the best condition, nice frosty Parkerized finish, and avoided the rack grades that might've been very well worn-in.

Where I've had minor issues was with loading partial en bloc clips.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top