JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some calibers aren't as fun to reload as others. Some are quite enjoyable.

I'm likely going to eliminate 38/357 or severely reduce my need to reload and or have that much of that caliber and I'm interested in adding another caliber in its absence.

So….

What calibers do you enjoy reloading and why?

Thanks!

Reno

I should add, I enjoy calibers that are versatile. That can do many things like be great suppressed and at the same time pushed for speed and or penetration.

Might be an odd choice, but I rather enjoy loading .223/5.56. It's versatile, there's a huge variety of bullets available, brass is plentiful and frequently free for the picking up, and powder goes a long way. You can load it as blasting ammo, or go all out for precision. It's become one of my favorite all around cartridges, both shooting and loading. And you can pick your poison as far as platform is concerned, I rather like it in a bolt action, although currently, my only .223 is an early Ruger Mini 14. Later.

Dave

45 colt and 45-70 primarily because of big hands and fat fingers, but also large size gives more wiggle room for less precise powder measuring plus a large range of weight and speed production available for most modern guns albeit you need help moving an ammo can with 1000 rounds in it.... 9mm not so much and would include the 357 if you hadn't already... .32 & .380 dreaded...But enjoy most all rifle calibers because the projectiles are long enough to manipulate in my fingers and one can get really creative with different powders. (except 30-30 are boring)

PB&J - 223 & pistol rounds on a Dillon. It's the knife that is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Bologna sammich - 308. Gets schnitt done.
Strawberry Shortcake - varmint and hunting cartridges, and DRT is the cherry on top.
Souffle - The ELR cartridges.
Haggis - inline "muzzle loaders"
Haxe or Stelze - flintlock
Lazy - 22LR, loading the magazine is the "reloading".

45 acp is my best choice in reloading. With the right recipe you have a super accurate round that shoots straight in any 45acp firearm be it revolver or semi auto. Brass rarely ever wears out and low pressure keep it from stretching. I have brass I am still useing from the 1970s.

Edited to add, there are many more reasons its the best to reload but won't bother to post them.

Last Edited:
All of them but 458 socom is an obvious choice as ammo is scarce and expensive. I can load subsonic hunting and plinking all the way up to purpose built supers for hunting and defense. I can use all the same bullets that I have for my 45-70 so the selection is great compared to the 450 bowel movement or the 50 baying wolf big bore varieties.

At this point, I'm liking .30-06 and 6.5 Swede. Only because at his point I'm relatively new to rifle loads and I've done probably 80 between the two. Shiny new bullet in the shiny brass that was prepped with care. There's something that rings my bell when I take measurements during different processes and they fall right on what they're supposed to. Down to the thousandth. Mmm

The finger thing, Yeah, 9mm is what we shoot most, also the hardest to manipple-ate. But it keeps me fingers nimble I figure.

When deciding which calibers to reload I usually go with the one that costs the most!
9mm and 38 super cost almost exactly the same to reload. But buy a box of each in the store!
But this last year or so I was happy to be able to make my own 9mm.
I use the same cast 124gr bullets in 9mm, 38 super, 38 spl, and 38 S&W. They just get finish sized slightly different.
So in normal times I shoot a lot of 9mm but reload very little of it. I spend most of my reloading time on calibers that save me the most money. DR

British .303 and 7.7x58mm Jap. Both take a .311 bullet and Use the same powder (IMR 3031). Very satisfying to reload because of the price/un-availability of the rounds. Very fun to take to the range as well nowadays because they always help strike up conversations about hand loading.

Reloading and casting bullets. Not to say which is more enjoyable. All of them are necessary if I want to continue to enjoy shooting as a hobby. :s0092:

I must say that the .458 SoCom can be a challenge at times. :rolleyes:

When deciding which calibers to reload I usually go with the one that costs the most!
9mm and 38 super cost almost exactly the same to reload. But buy a box of each in the store!
But this last year or so I was happy to be able to make my own 9mm.
I use the same cast 124gr bullets in 9mm, 38 super, 38 spl, and 38 S&W. They just get finish sized slightly different.
So in normal times I shoot a lot of 9mm but reload very little of it. I spend most of my reloading time on calibers that save me the most money. DR
Lol, other than bulk loads of 9mm and 223, I'd say most of my loads cost more than factory!

I like the idea of big bore, I used to do 45acp a lot when I first got started. I owned many 1911s and loading for them was enjoyable. I found I liked 200 grain semi wad cutters the most. Probably shot some 10-15 thousand of those back then.

I don't own any cans with holes bigger than 0.4", but that could always change. Here is to hoping YHM keeps opening up cans and makes a 45 cal version of the Turbo next! Lots of 45 calibers out there that suppress well.

I don't think I'd leave 38/357 to go up to 44 mag. Just one rimmed revolver cartridge for another.

Something like 350 legend really intrigues me, but it is plagued by limitations.

I did 300blk, and if anything that one makes a lot of sense.

Ive done 223 to death. I was truly hoping 224 was a success, it wasn't. 22 Grendel is at a stand still.

Keep em coming! There is likely a caliber out there that fits my wackiness!

I like the idea of big bore, I used to do 45acp a lot when I first got started. I owned many 1911s and loading for them was enjoyable. I found I liked 200 grain semi wad cutters the most. Probably shot some 10-15 thousand of those back then.

I don't own any cans with holes bigger than 0.4", but that could always change. Here is to hoping YHM keeps opening up cans and makes a 45 cal version of the Turbo next! Lots of 45 calibers out there that suppress well.

I don't think I'd leave 38/357 to go up to 44 mag. Just one rimmed revolver cartridge for another.

Something like 350 legend really intrigues me, but it is plagued by limitations.

I did 300blk, and if anything that one makes a lot of sense.

Ive done 223 to death. I was truly hoping 224 was a success, it wasn't. 22 Grendel is at a stand still.

Keep em coming! There is likely a caliber out there that fits my wackiness!
The 300 H&H is my favorite. The case design defies all we recognize as "good design". Long sloping shoulder, belted case, and it takes not only a long action, but a full length magnum action. It's a ballistic missile looking thing of beauty that has won many matches despite its "poor case design". The OG 30 caliber magnum.

27A64121-4253-466D-B870-A389B85CA2EE.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top