JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Least expensive per round rifle cartridge?

• Total voters
I'm getting out of reloading.
Don't be hasty, and don't let your equipment go yet. I don't know how many times I've changed my mind about gun stuff. Only to have to buy the same things all over again. I think I've bought and re-bought .30-30 dies at least three times. .45 Colt three times. Etc., etc.

Don't be hasty, and don't let your equipment go yet. I don't know how many times I've changed my mind about gun stuff. Only to have to buy the same things all over again. I think I've bought and re-bought .30-30 dies at least three times. .45 Colt three times. Etc., etc.
That's just it, I figure if I ever want to get back into it, I can. That and when I do, if I do, I can upgrade!

I will ironically be holding onto the set of 30-30 dies though. Only because they were my dads and they are older (better) RCBS.

I'll also keep all my loading manuals and notes on various loads. It might be interesting to compare in 10 years or so if I ever get into it again.

Last Edited:
I have no idea. I haven't bought factory centerfire loads retail in quite some time, with the exception of a couple boxes of 7mm Remington Mag for my nephew. Been buying 22LR Match ammo, and that ain't cheap. To be honest, when I go to a store that has ammo, I look at prices and my eyes just glaze over.

I have no idea. I haven't bought factory centerfire loads retail in quite some time, with the exception of a couple boxes of 7mm Remington Mag for my nephew. Been buying 22LR Match ammo, and that ain't cheap. To be honest, when I go to a store that has ammo, I look at prices and my eyes just glaze over.
I feel you. Bought some bulk 22lr. Sprinkling has a box of 325 at the same price a box of 500 used to be about 3-4 years ago.

Voted 7.62x39
Acknowledging that .40 per rd is current average, cheaper deals still come up often. I predict that I will buy at least another 5-6K rds before summer ends this year . I doubt I'll pay more than. 35per

Those voting for .223 / 5.56 , are you actually running steel case ? Because brass is not dropping below .35per , unless you are able to buy half a pallet.
Any good sources that still have it at 40cents or so? I need to get some more. thanks!

223... range brass pickup free, 55gr berries fairly cheap, wide options for powder, and SRP... even at .10/primer, .16/bullet, and 25gr powder... maybe .30-.35 per round... not bad; a little cheaper than what 223 used to cost pre-shytshow.

Well I think I'm going to come to terms with being done with center fire for a bit. I'd love to plink with something with more OOMPH, but it's just not looking realistic.

I'm thinking a nice air rifle or another CZ457 will be the last, if I get that pile of reloading gear sold!

My budget looks tighter each month in this economy and even at $0.40 a round 7.62x39 is too expensive to plink with for me.

I honestly don't think primers will go down enough to make reloading worth the time needed anymore and rimfire is still vastly cheaper.

Thanks for all the posts everyone!!!

Well I think I'm going to come to terms with being done with center fire for a bit. I'd love to plink with something with more OOMPH, but it's just not looking realistic.

I'm thinking a nice air rifle or another CZ457 will be the last, if I get that pile of reloading gear sold!

My budget looks tighter each month in this economy and even at $0.40 a round 7.62x39 is too expensive to plink with for me.

I honestly don't think primers will go down enough to make reloading worth the time needed anymore and rimfire is still vastly cheaper.

Thanks for all the posts everyone!!!
Get some throwing knives and hawks ?

Maybe even some spear/javelin type weapons. Cold steel usually has some tough, cheap, effective throwing options.

Voted 7.62x39
Acknowledging that .40 per rd is current average, cheaper deals still come up often. I predict that I will buy at least another 5-6K rds before summer ends this year . I doubt I'll pay more than. 35per

Those voting for .223 / 5.56 , are you actually running steel case ? Because brass is not dropping below .35per , unless you are able to buy half a pallet.
Let me know if you want to go in on a big lot of 7.62x39. Still in Georgia til end of Summer but ill be back

Maybe even some spear/javelin type weapons. Cold steel usually has some tough, cheap, effective throwing options.
I used to play darts about 10-12 years ago. I like your line of thinking!

I enjoy throwing knives as well. I haven't tried hawks yet though. Good idea. :)

I wouldn't sell off reloading equipment, however space isn't an issue.

Reloading will always give the better or particular ammunition, provided the reloader does there part.

The other factors of course being time & component expense.

Everyone is different, so those are factors only an individual can determine.

However the gear won't go bad & won't be a bother (again, provided space isn't an issue).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top