JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folk I'm new to the group & brand new to reloading . 99% of my bullets are shot at steel or paper. I am looking for a versatile powder that I can the most calibers with in pistol I shoot 9mm, 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 special, and 44 Mag

In rifle I shoot 223 cal both at and bolt guns
5.56. 222 rem bolt, 243 , 6mm arc, 270, 270 WSM , 308, 300 Win mag & 300 WSM

I shoot the pistols pretty often , The small caliber rifles warm up pretty good when the coyotes start moving anything above the 6mm only dispatch 5 - 6 rounds a year if that

I've bought and read several manuals I've bough several pounds of Tite group, W231,
H- 110 and a few more

I have pulled a handle on a press yet but I'm dang close
Thanks in advance

You need to buy one pound batches of numerous powders and then figure out what your guns shoot best with. If you're willing to accept the potential for mediocre accuracy from most or all of your firearms then picking one powder for long guns and one for handguns is your path forward.

Hey @Nosferatu !?
Where did you find your 777? Did they have that at Machine Guns?

That's quite a few calibers to start with. I would advise starting with straight wall cartridges first then purchase powders as needed. Remember, you still have to purchase dies for all those calibers.

Speaking to ONLY your handgun calibers, I've been in the same boat as you - wanting one or two powders for PLINKING loads that I could use in many calibers. During the powder shortage of a couple of years ago, two other factors were added to my selection: AVAILABILITY and PRICE.

So, to share my experience:

I've had good luck with the following three powders for handgun plinking loads: Winchester 231, Winchester 244, Hodgdon TiteGroup. All 3 were somewhat available during the shortage when other powders were not - and they are very available right now and they are on the lower end of the pricing scale. All three have published load data for the handgun calibers you mentioned. I load: 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 special, 357 magnum and 10mm and can find published loads that shoot well for each powder for every caliber mentioned. You mentioned 44 special and 44 mag - all three have published load data for those two calibers also.

All three are "flattened ball" or "flattened spherical" powders. Small particles that meter easily and consistently from charge to charge.

For basic plinking loads - they all "feel" the same (I don't chronograph my loads - I just like to put holes in paper and marks on steel).

Pickup a pound of one of them and work up some test loads in each caliber.

Again, this is just for basic range plinking loads.

Your mileage may vary.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good luck.

Cheers.

OP ... load books are your friend. Additionally, there is TONS of data available from the powder manufactures online. Hit their websites, for sure.

I make it out of used charcoal, dried Pepsi and chili powder. A dash of bourbon gives it an extra kick for the larger calibers.
Chili Powder, freaken Chili Powder in the recipe?? Crazy. Try Saltpeter instead. Might dork up the extra kick for the larger calibers I suppose, but can increase velocity.

..... this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.....

Carry on...

OP ... load books are your friend. Additionally, there is TONS of data available from the powder manufactures online. Hit their websites, for sure.

Chili Powder, freaken Chili Powder in the recipe?? Crazy. Try Saltpeter instead. Might dork up the extra kick for the larger calibers I suppose, but can increase velocity.

..... this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.....

Carry on...
Not as good in Carnitas though.

You can probably get by with the pistol powders, you've got. I might add one more between the faster pistol powders and H-110. AA#7, Blue dot and Long shot come to mind. For the rifles you really should have a couple kinds of powders a faster one for the 223's, 222 and 308. and a slower one for the over bores. Basically the calibers I haven't listed are what I'm calling over bores.

Just my worthless opinion but you get better results and answers when you don't use the shotgun approach in questions.

It's just too much info you want so I suggest you work caliber by caliber and gleen from the answers on each.

Have a great day.

If you just want one pistol powder, try Unique. Great recommendations from members above. Different rifles require different powders. Study your manuals. Work loads up from minimums. Shoot more.

If you just want one pistol powder, try Unique. Great recommendations from members above. Different rifles require different powders. Study your manuals. Work loads up from minimums. Shoot more.
Good suggestion. Hodgdon Universal works well too. Between W231 and Titegroup, W231 works much better for me.

As far as rifle, two powders come to mind for your calibers : Varget and H4350. For the WSMs, you'd probably do better adding H4831 or Superperformance.
Your best bet is to go to Hodgdon's reloading pages, plug in the calibers and see what powders work for you. Cross reference and select from the ones common to all the calibers you have listed. As @oremike suggested, you'll need a different powder for the overbores.

You can probably get by with the pistol powders, you've got. I might add one more between the faster pistol powders and H-110. AA#7, Blue dot and Long shot come to mind. For the rifles you really should have a couple kinds of powders a faster one for the 223's, 222 and 308. and a slower one for the over bores. Basically the calibers I haven't listed are what I'm calling over bores.
Thank you so much sir I really appreciate you.
Jerry

Just my worthless opinion but you get better results and answers when you don't use the shotgun approach in questions.

It's just too much info you want so I suggest you work caliber by caliber and gleen from the answers on each.

Have a great day.
I understand what you're saying and agree I will slow it down a little in the future

Jerry

Good suggestion. Hodgdon Universal works well too. Between W231 and Titegroup, W231 works much better for me.

As far as rifle, two powders come to mind for your calibers : Varget and H4350. For the WSMs, you'd probably do better adding H4831 or Superperformance.
Your best bet is to go to Hodgdon's reloading pages, plug in the calibers and see what powders work for you. Cross reference and select from the ones common to all the calibers you have listed. As @oremike suggested, you'll need a different powder for the overbores.
Thank you sir I really appreciate you

Jerry

I use a lot of Unique, and started with it when I learned to reload from a friend way back in the mid 1970's. When I asked why he liked Unique he answered by saying, "Heck, Moses loaded with Unique! It's the oldest powder still being sold today!" And it's still being sold 50 years later!
All the oldest loading manuals I've seen have handgun, and rifle charges using Unique, but rifle charges are reduced plinking loads, not high pressure, high velocity rifle loads. So I'd use it for most any handgun cartridges, but not for high velocity rifle cartridges. It works good in old "hyphenated" rifle cartridges of the 1800's and early 1900's, but that's where it stops.
If you want good accuracy, and good performance, it's likely you'll need at least one pistol powder, and one rifle powder. And it's highly unlikely those two powders will be the perfect powder for everything. More likely they'll be great for some, and good enough for others. Not perfect for everything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top