JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been using for many decades with great results for me, IMR 4350 in .270, 6.5 X 55, .243, 30-06, and 300 Savage I'm sure there are others, but I haven't loaded for them to know. There are others I'm sure but it seems about as universal as one could get for many rifles. Some others I've tried over the years either were dirty, not universal for enough calibers, couldn't find it reliably in my local, or worse, did not dispense well. I can take the soot if i must, but persnickety dispensing is a real deal killer for me.
I don't think IMR 4350 is appropriate for .223 though, but really have not studied it, I am using IMR 4198 for the .223, but likely not the best, mainly because I was using a lot of it for my 45-70's which I sold recently so have a bunch left over.
Then, I found some 4198 recipes for the .223 with 55gr bullets I had in a lyman book which work good, I think, but hard to tell since it's just an OK shooter. ..But its good enough.
Out of a couple hundred on the chart, IMR 4350 is starting to get fairly slow on the burn rate @153,, (Not that many delve into that sort of thing) barely, but different than Hodgdon's H4350 @ 154. Long time ago I've used both with little notice The same deal for IMR4198 but nearly the middle of the chart @ 99 Also not the same as H4198 which is 100.

You need to find someone close to you that reloads to take you under their wing. ;)
We don't need any more head lines. :rolleyes:
Exactly, I've got a good friend that's been reloading for 50 yrs I'm getting everything I need put together but I won't pull a handle done unless he's here to first to tell me everything I did wrong then to coach me the first several sessions

Thanks Jerry

Exactly, I've got a good friend that's been reloading for 50 yrs I'm getting everything I need put together but I won't pull a handle done unless he's here to first to tell me everything I did wrong then to coach me the first several sessions

Thanks Jerry
It almost sounds like you don't have a reloading manual.

I understand the appeal of having a "one power do it all" approach, there is definitely financial savings in buying powder in eight pound containers vs one pound containers. However, different calibers are more optimized for either a slow burning or faster burning powder.
For handgun guns, as mentioned by others Winchester 231 has been around a long time and there is a lot of reloading data available for that powder.

It almost sounds like you don't have a reloading manual.
If I told you I only have 3 or 4 I would not be telling the truth, in my opinion the manuals are the most important components and I have read them all front to back. I am getting really close to starting this endeavor
I will post some pictures when I get everything mounted

Any chance some of those loads are with the 120gr Shock Hammer?
Not familiar with that bullet but I looked it up. I have no need for anything like this - AND especially at over a buck per bullet.

I Mostly just use either cast lead, 100 grain Speer Plinkers, or what ever I find cheap.

I once used a bunch of pulled .30 cal JRN 93 grain Luger bullets I pulled from a bunch of old Luger ammo I had and they were deadly accurate!

That is a great idea, I just want to stock as few as possible. I'm sure I'll end up with quite a few but just saying I'd rather have a few 8lb jugs than 6 or 7 different powders
I hear you. I have way too many 1 lb containers, all of which work fine in something, but not necessarily in "most" things. I have since acquired an 8 lb keg of Alliant BE-86 for use in 9mm, .38, .357 Mag, .45 ACP and 10mm mid to near max loads. Also have an 8 lb keg of Accurate MagPro scheduled to arrive any day now, can be used primarily in .270WSM, but also may prove useful in .270 Win, and heavy bullet .243 Win. As for .223 Rem, I use Ramshot TAC. II don't have one 8 lb keg, I have two! (Just emptied the 3rd one I had on hand). It is also very useful in .308 Win and .338 Federal.
So, those are the 8 pounders I have, (also have a 4 pounder of Ramshot Zip which is similar to W-231/HP-38 for milder .38, 9mm and .45 ACP loads.)

If I told you I only have 3 or 4 I would not be telling the truth, in my opinion the manuals are the most important components and I have read them all front to back. I am getting really close to starting this endeavor
I will post some pictures when I get everything mounted
So you don't have one.
Everything you're asking and need to know is in a good manual.. particularly the spelled out baby steps of actually setting everything up and making ammunition.
Your guru friend would be doing you a disservice by not requiring you to have one and then "walk you through" by following the exact steps enumerated in that particular manual.
In other words he'd sit there and watch you do what the manual says.
Or not. If you go "squirrel!" between steps 1 and 2 for instance, his job would then be to say this is not for you because you can't follow simple instructions.

I hear you. I have way too many 1 lb containers, all of which work fine in something, but not necessarily in "most" things. I have since acquired an 8 lb keg of Alliant BE-86 for use in 9mm, .38, .357 Mag, .45 ACP and 10mm mid to near max loads. Also have an 8 lb keg of Accurate MagPro scheduled to arrive any day now, can be used primarily in .270WSM, but also may prove useful in .270 Win, and heavy bullet .243 Win. As for .223 Rem, I use Ramshot TAC. II don't have one 8 lb keg, I have two! (Just emptied the 3rd one I had on hand). It is also very useful in .308 Win and .338 Federal.
So, those are the 8 pounders I have, (also have a 4 pounder of Ramshot Zip which is similar to W-231/HP-38 for milder .38, 9mm and .45 ACP loads.)
I also like BE-86 but when I recently ran out of it and I went to restock, it seemed like Alliant powders had increased in price by quite a bit in my area, I bought eight pounds of CFE Pistol instead.

I also like BE-86 but when I recently ran out of it and I went to restock, it seemed like Alliant powders had increased in price by quite a bit in my area, I bought eight pounds of CFE Pistol instead.
I ordered the 8 lb keg after hearing that Alliant was raising their prices 30%, so got it for $231.50 + shipping and hazmat.

Hello folk I'm new to the group & brand new to reloading . 99% of my bullets are shot at steel or paper. I am looking for a versatile powder that I can the most calibers with in pistol I shoot 9mm, 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 special, and 44 Mag

In rifle I shoot 223 cal both at and bolt guns
5.56. 222 rem bolt, 243 , 6mm arc, 270, 270 WSM , 308, 300 Win mag & 300 WSM

I shoot the pistols pretty often , The small caliber rifles warm up pretty good when the coyotes start moving anything above the 6mm only dispatch 5 - 6 rounds a year if that

I've bought and read several manuals I've bough several pounds of Tite group, W231,
H- 110 and a few more

I have pulled a handle on a press yet but I'm dang close
Thanks in advance
For those pistol calibers, take alook at HS6.
Rifle calibers require more of a dedicated powder to stay in the safe parameters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top