JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was at Wholesale Sports last night so my son could hold the Beretta Neos he is wanting for x-mas. They had one in stock but when I wanted to see how it fit his hands they would not allow me to let him hold it. They then went on, in a very smug and condescending manner, to tell me that state law prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from holding a handgun. I informed them they must be confusing store policy with state law they held to their guns saying it was the law. Then after I told the salesman there is no such law he said maybe it was a store policy. He then asked the shorter, dark haired guy with the mustache and he said it was a state law. When I told him he was mistaken he just rolled his eyes and went back to chatting with his friend (the same guy he was chatting with the whole time we stood there waiting for service earlier). Right as I was about to leave the first guy finds a form the store produces for parents to sign so their kids can handle the guns. I said "It sure is odd you have a little form that allows you to override state law."

Do they have a form that overrides the speed limit? I could use one of those...

All of this is great fodder to support my contention that a knowledgable and regular purchaser of firearms is best served (literally) by establishing a good relationship with a true (smaller) gun shop. Do I buy from the big box guys? Yes: When I need something in a hurry (powder, etc.) that my local gun shop does not have on the shelf at that moment (and I always check with him first, and as part of the relationship, he is always quick to tell me where I might find what he doesn't have). Do I pay a bit more when I buy from him? Yes. Or, Yes, with a caveat: He is also quick to front me a small amount of what I need (powder, etc.) when he knows it is for load testing purposes, and I may not need a whole can of powder, or a whole box of bullets (very often this comes from his personal stash). He knows I will be back on a regular basis, and I know he is there with true knowledge, quick service, and a "no questions asked" method of making me happy with any purchase. This is what I pay "extra" for. It is very easy for an impersonal clerk employee working at something barely over minimum wage to not know what he is talking about and not care about your satisfaction. It is very difficult for that to happen when you are dealing with someone who is in business for themselves and with whom you have developed a personal (eventually a friendship) relationship. The investment in that relationship is rewarded to both parties far beyond any "extra" I may pay, or any extra considerations he provides. Support your small gun shops of established reputation, and they will support you.

The store the of topic. With computer records.

A buddy of mine bought a T/C Encore from them then later decided he wanted the Pro Hunter version, I always wanted an Encore so I bought off him. When he went back about a year later to buy a Pro Hunter the clown behind the counter started to grill him about why he needed two of the same guns. My buddy flipped him off and left after a few choice words.
I hate to break it to you, but almost every gun shop that has a computer tracks the same things. Even ones without computers keeps sales records. Go somewhere and trade in a gun you bought there five years ago and they will look up when you bought it and how much you paid for it. That does not mean they are reporting that info to anyone.

The store the of topic. With computer records.

A buddy of mine bought a T/C Encore from them then later decided he wanted the Pro Hunter version, I always wanted an Encore so I bought off him. When he went back about a year later to buy a Pro Hunter the clown behind the counter started to grill him about why he needed two of the same guns. My buddy flipped him off and left after a few choice words.

Computer records just make it easier to track. Why did the guy grill him about wanting to buy something? Since when is there something wrong with having 2 of the same gun? Killing a sale and pissing off a customer is just stupid.

All of this is great fodder to support my contention that a knowledgable and regular purchaser of firearms is best served (literally) by establishing a good relationship with a true (smaller) gun shop. ...... Support your small gun shops of established reputation, and they will support you.
Some reason you are keeping the name of your LGS a secret? If it's all that, you should have done them the favor of posting the name.

No secret at all. The reply was in a general sense,comparing overall treatment I have received from gun stores big and small. It also considered that this is not the only shop that has treated me this way when I have invested time, effort and some finances toward building a relationship. I fully recognize that there may be some shops that will not respond to good effort/prospect of continuing business.

The gun shop I frequent is Al's Guns in Verboort near Forest Grove. I don't go there when I'm in a hurry, because I don't do anything worthwhile when in a hurry, and this is a truly "old school" gun shop, that is a gathering place for gun looneys (me included). I fully expect that when I walk in, there will be a group of "regulars" standing around telling stories, and on more than one occasion, a potluck dinner in progress. A bowl of chili or venison stew is offered with some unmild pressure to partake. The ongoing investments (social and financial) I have deposited there occasionally result in new friendships forged: one elderly gentleman was there on a particular day with an old Stevens single shot he was delivering to have restored. It was in caliber .32 Rimfire (ammo no longer available, except from custom makers), and I was able to supply the man with a few cartridges from my pile of old stuff at home. He called me two weeks later with an old gun he had for sale, and invited me to his home with no reservations regarding my character.

Markus (the proprietor) has finally stopped chuckling when I ask him if I may pick up and examine a gun on the used rack. I guess most people don't ask. But this is how I was taught, and will continue to act, even at a place where I know I am more than welcome. It is yet one more contribution I can make toward the relationship of mutual respect.

Find all THAT at a big box store.

I kind of find all this comical. Worrying about the low dollar wage earner behind any counter at any store.

But when it comes to guns,you had better be somewhat knowledgeable and courteous or I'll leave.
I do the same with private sales.No flakes allowed.
I would go to a shop in Federal Way where the guys wanted everyone to think they were the smartest guys ,should be writing columns for magazines .Always called them on everything I could and laughed off their BS.
Then I didn't get any BS from them any more.The owner would laugh at me when I'd razz the guys.
And if you know the store always call magazines clips there.The hate that

I was at the Silverdale Wholesale Saturday,looking at scopes.One was distorting the view as I moved it.Guy behind the counter says they all do that.Not any of mine do.He stopped helping me.Good.He wasn't as smart as he thought he was and I called him on it. Done deal.
Another guy helped me out and I still bought the scope there
BTW the rest of the people there are great,although I don't buy guns there.Just my place to fondle them and buy reloading equipment/supplies

I always vote with my pocket book.If the store is rude or condescending,I'll tell them and leave.I'll always have a laugh at their expense before leaving though.

But I don't get butt hurt about it.Too many other places that I can buy stuff .Too many good guys in other stores

Thanks for taking the time to write a considerate, thoughtful response. Your description reminds me of going to the local dive shop for me. Yes, I can get my gear for less online and have a larger selection to choose from, but you can't get your tank filled online and you can't just stop by to talk about your last dive trip.

I agree, you can't find that at a big box store.

No secret at all. The reply was in a general sense,comparing overall treatment I have received from gun stores big and small. It also considered that this is not the only shop that has treated me this way when I have invested time, effort and some finances toward building a relationship. I fully recognize that there may be some shops that will not respond to good effort/prospect of continuing business.

The gun shop I frequent is Al's Guns in Verboort near Forest Grove. I don't go there when I'm in a hurry, because I don't do anything worthwhile when in a hurry, and this is a truly "old school" gun shop, that is a gathering place for gun looneys (me included). I fully expect that when I walk in, there will be a group of "regulars" standing around telling stories, and on more than one occasion, a potluck dinner in progress. A bowl of chili or venison stew is offered with some unmild pressure to partake. The ongoing investments (social and financial) I have deposited there occasionally result in new friendships forged: one elderly gentleman was there on a particular day with an old Stevens single shot he was delivering to have restored. It was in caliber .32 Rimfire (ammo no longer available, except from custom makers), and I was able to supply the man with a few cartridges from my pile of old stuff at home. He called me two weeks later with an old gun he had for sale, and invited me to his home with no reservations regarding my character.

Markus (the proprietor) has finally stopped chuckling when I ask him if I may pick up and examine a gun on the used rack. I guess most people don't ask. But this is how I was taught, and will continue to act, even at a place where I know I am more than welcome. It is yet one more contribution I can make toward the relationship of mutual respect.

Find all THAT at a big box store.

I don't imagine it is easy to find good help these days for $9 or $10 bucks an hour. But then again you dont see the gun counter guys coming to your work and clogging the slurpee machine either do you... How was the customer service been on that last internet purchase? Go walk a mile in their shoes before you start grading these hard working americans on their job skills. How much more do you think you would pay for that gun or pound of powder if there were only one gunshop that had the best customer service in the world and the corner on the market?

For me it's about the pricing, that is why I think all you guys wearing the Cabela's gear are idiots. You actually pay them to advertise for them, they have the highest most consistently rediculous prices of any of the stores in the NW.

I can go everywhere and get crummy service, but I'll be dipped if I am going to pay extra for it!

Reminds me of how my uncle used to laugh and poke fun when he saw yet another "Security Guard makes off with a bundle" news story. Regarding armored car "inside jobs" and such, he always wondered why you would pay some guy minimum wage (and then expect and trust him) to protect large sums of cash and other valuables. Same goes for big box stores: yes, the bottom line is everything, but you would think they would come to realize that SOME of the people they hire are actually costing them money and sales through lack of experience/shoddy customer service.

There are exceptions to the rule: I remember going into GI Joes, and observing a younger clerk at the counter espousing at length about a particular gun to a customer. My initial impression was that he was a blowhard, but additional visits (and some converstaions with him) revealed he actually was passionate and knowledgeable about guns. He later started his own business in the field, and does quite well, from what I understand. I fully believe GI Joes' implosion was (partially) as a result of not recognizing persons like him as crucially valuable. I'm certain he celebrated their demise nearly as exuberantly as I did.

I just received an email from the manager of the Vancouver Wholesale Sports, expressing regret and concern about this thread. I advised him to come on here and talk with you guys directly, which I'm hoping he will do. I'll share my reply to his email because I think it's a worthwhile read for all of you.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your email. I've been following the thread you're referring to, and sadly I see many similar stories about poor customer service at various businesses around the region. When I set out to create Northwest Firearms my own experiences led me to envision a vibrant review section. While an important part of my plan was to develop a system to ensure outstanding businesses were recognized, the real magic was the ability to provide poorly-rated businesses with the honest, unbiased information they needed to change, improve, and succeed. How they use that information can either transform their business or see that they fail more quickly. Either way, the consumers and the guys running quality businesses win, and that's what matters to me.

I really do appreciate owners and managers who take an active role in ensuring good customer service, and going so far as to write an email such as the one you have to let the public know our comments are not going unnoticed. That is one of the key hallmarks of a business destined to do well. If I were you, I would register with NWFA and post this email, word for word, in the thread you mentioned. While I enjoyed reading it, I'm only one guy, and the 17,000 guys you really want to be speaking to are on there.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you in the future.

Thanks,
Joe Link
NorthwestFirearms.com

It is very good that the manager took some interest in this. While my contention is that the smaller established gun shops offer the chance for much better service (if the customer contributes not only financially to the relationship), I do want to express my recogniton of Wholesale Sports as very necessary in the Portland area. I was very happy when Sportsman's Warehouse opened up, as there is (was) a definite need for a big store that stocks a large selection of shooting sports gear. I was disappointed when they folded, but relieved when Wholesale picked up the ball (albeit to not quite the impressive level that Sportsmans did). A good small shop simply cannot carry in stock what the big guys can, and so, as stated, I DO patronize Wholesale rather regularly. However, I speak with the clerks there with no great expectations that they might provide the experience , knowledge and service that I find in my local shop. A low level of expectations insulates me from disappointments, such as described by the OP.

I was in the 82nd store a couple of months ago looking for AA5 to reload 45 ACP. Clerk walked into the back and returned with a can of Winchester AA Trap powder and told me all AA powder was the same.

Last time they will see my face.

For reloading components you might want to check out NW Ammo Supply in Salem. Their web site does not list components as far as I can tell, so you may want to call ahead and see if it is worth a stop if you are driving through Salem.

I dropped by on a whim and found they are selling my favorite primers, WSP, for about $30/1000. I neglected to check on powder prices as I'm pretty well stocked.

Below is the email that was sent to Mr. Joe Link. I was at a conference for most of this week and was unable to gain computer access to properly address the NWFA forum until today. During the conference, which was comprised of all of the senior staff for Wholesale Sports, I specifically brought to the forefront this topic. As a company, we take these sorts of topics very seriously. Our goal will be to always do better. There are too many variables to guarantee that situations like this will never happen again. However, I will personally assure that we will take every possible step to improve the shopping experience for each and every guest that walks through our doors, calls us on the phone, or visits our website. During the conference, we came up with some incredible new initiatives that we will be implimenting very soon that should greatly increase our ability offer better customer service in all aspects of our stores. I will keep the 17,000 plus members of NWFA appraised. We are far from perfect, but our guests deserve the best we can offer.

Greetings Northwest Firearms Community,

On behalf of the Vancouver Wholesale Sports, I apologize for the recent issue with our team in the hunting department. It is our goal to give the best customer service possible, but we sometimes fail to meet the mark. Our staff is given training to help customers with the best information possible to make a sound and legal purchase of a firearm. There is always opportunity for improvement; this case in particular. Without customers that let us know when we have issues, we do not get the information needed to correct it. I have taken this opportunity to re-inform our staff of company policy, state, and federal law regarding this issue. Our policy is to make sure that parents/guardians are aware that a minor is handling firearms; therefore we do have a consent form for this occasion. You are correct in there is no State or Federal law directly addressing a minor handling a firearm in the control of an adult. Our team is very thankful for your past patronage. I can assure you we will all work harder to make sure each and every customer is given the best service we can provide. We appreciate your business and hope to someday earn your business back.

I appreciate any and all feedback on our performance at the Wholesale Sports in Vancouver Washington. Please let me know how I can further resolve this issue.

Matt Selders
Store Manager
Wholesale Sports, Vancouver Washington

Yes Wholesale Sports - it should be changed to Overpriced Sports.

The last time I was in there - some young punk was trying to sell some older lady and her husband a .357 Mag Smith. He was explaining how nice the firearm was. She looked like she didn't know up from down. I finally asked them if they had ever fired a handgun before- to which they both replied no ! I mentioned that shooting a 357 with full house loads takes some experience. I also told them that if they fired that .357 - they would probably do it once and never fire it again. I suggested they find someone with a .38 spcl and shoot it - just to see what the recoil is like.They liked that idea and walked away. The little punk at the counter started to give some crap - I basically told him your responsibility is to give good advice to your customer - not just sell them a firearm they probably won't like.. - that info was lost on that little punk.

After looking at the horrible prices (ones that would make Cabela's seem like a bargain - I decided then and there - that Wholesale Sports wasn't going to get my business. I prefer Bi-Mart as they have good prices and good service (at least in the Lincoln City store). The trouble with Wholesale Sports is they think they are the only Sporting Good Store on the planet !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top