JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are a variety of lists out there to rank sports by which are most dangerous. For my money the best is published by the Insurance Information Institute because they track every injury from every sport. (Most of their data is derived from the National Safety Council and US Consumer Product and Safety Commission, along with their own actuarial statistics.) Shown below are their top 15 most dangerous sports and sport-related activities as tabulated from 2020. Notice which sport is not in the top fifteen? You got it: Hunting. I mean, think about that for a moment. According to the Insurance Information Institute, hunting with firearms is even safer than fishing. In fact, if you go all the way through their list hunting is even safer than tennis and track. Kinda liking that...

1. Biking
2. Exercising/Excercise Equipment
3. Off Roading (ATVs, Mopeds, Minibikes, etc.)
4. Skateboarding (including scooters and hoverboards)
5. Basketball
6. Swimming
7. American football
8. Playing on Playground Equipment
9. Trampolines
10. Soccer
11. Baseball/Softball
12. Fishing
13. Ice Skating
14. Horseback Riding
15. Miscellaneous Field Sports (lumping together Rugby, Lacrosse, similar)

There are a variety of lists out there to rank sports by which are most dangerous. For my money the best is published by the Insurance Information Institute because they track every injury from every sport. (Most of their data is derived from the National Safety Council and US Consumer Product and Safety Commission, along with their own actuarial statistics.) Shown below are their top 15 most dangerous sports and sport-related activities as tabulated from 2020. Notice which sport is not in the top twenty? You got it: Hunting. I mean, think about that for a moment. According to the Insurance Information Institute, hunting with firearms is even safer than fishing. In fact, if you go all the way through their list hunting is even safer than tennis and track. Kinda liking that...

1. Biking
5. Basketball
6. Swimming
7. American football
9. Trampolines
10. Soccer
11. Baseball/Softball
12. Fishing
13. Ice Skating
14. Horseback Riding
I am surprised hiking or hunting didn't make the list?

Hunting is not a significant commitment of time , in contrast to the bulk of that list. How many hours are you going to spend hunting, including scouting, this year?
Cycling and swimming are probably 50 times that amount, if the person is serious about the sport.

I am surprised hiking or hunting didn't make the list?
Yeah, I was honestly surprised as well, but it's likely because the total number of injuries in other sports is so radical. During 2020 for example, fishing had 65,107 reported injuries, soccer had 81,452, basketball had almost a quarter million reported injuries, and bicyling had 425,910. Obviously there are people who get injured (and even killed) while hunting, but the total number getting reported apparently doesn't match the greater numbers from other sports.

They obviously have no clue what they are talking about. I don't see "marriage" anywhere on there....
Bro.

No kidding. Just got home from work, walked into "our" room (Ha!). Bunch of her crap laying on my pillow. I said 1 ( one) single word..." Really?"

I'm now downstairs after having been offered the option of receiving the aforementioned arts and crafts supplies internally, by way of my rectal cavity. I did not bother asking about dinner.

I'm pretty sure Florentine football should be higher.
Have to admit, I love watching Calcio Storico, but would I ever want to participate? Maybe when I was younger, and a lot stupider. I agree, Calcio Storico has to be the most brutal sport out there, probably even more injuries than Running With the Bulls in Spain.

Bro.

No kidding. Just got home from work, walked into "our" room (Ha!). Bunch of her crap laying on my pillow. I said 1 ( one) single word..." Really?"

I'm now downstairs after having been offered the option of receiving the aforementioned arts and crafts supplies internally, by way of my rectal cavity. I did not bother asking about dinner.
aint married life grand??

The rankings would vary depending on the criteria used by the author of the list. It appears this list is based on total number of any injury, even minor by participants. Lots of people bicycle...
A sport like bull riding is certain to result in a greater number and severity of injury per hour of participation than any sport on that list.

nothing to do with anything.

as a pilot, i actually consider parachuting a reasonable activity.

as for the dudes who strap on wing suites. the only result for engaging in that sport is to die doing it.

. it's only a matter of time.

like the dudes who claim free solo. but that's another story.

nothing to do with anything.

as a pilot, i actually consider parachuting a reasonable activity.

as for the dudes who strap on wing suites. the only result for engaging in that sport is to die doing it.

. it's only a matter of time.

like the dudes who claim free solo. but that's another story.
This guy brings wing suites to a whole new death wish level.

There are a variety of lists out there to rank sports by which are most dangerous. For my money the best is published by the Insurance Information Institute because they track every injury from every sport. (Most of their data is derived from the National Safety Council and US Consumer Product and Safety Commission, along with their own actuarial statistics.) Shown below are their top 15 most dangerous sports and sport-related activities as tabulated from 2020. Notice which sport is not in the top fifteen? You got it: Hunting. I mean, think about that for a moment. According to the Insurance Information Institute, hunting with firearms is even safer than fishing. In fact, if you go all the way through their list hunting is even safer than tennis and track. Kinda liking that...

1. Biking
5. Basketball
6. Swimming
7. American football
9. Trampolines
10. Soccer
11. Baseball/Softball
12. Fishing
13. Ice Skating
14. Horseback Riding
Yeah? Just try getting a Dick Cheney rider on your policy and watch what happens to your rates!

That is NOT an accurate list at all - I can think of two sports that have a LOT of injuries and are not listed - snow skiing and mountain climbing - but maybe Mtn. climbing is not listed because 'technically' it has very few 'injuries' - as most accidents result in death.

However as a long term snow skier I have seen broken bones, falls off of lifts, stabbings with ski poles and many leg and arm injuries (including a hyperextension of my own left knee joint) and a friend who once nearly bit his own tongue off due to a crash and I know of a guy who nearly lost a leg due to a jump into the blade of a sno cat.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top