JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It kind of sounds like you knew there was going to be an issue with not having a receipt so you had your girlfriend return it for you

Kinda sounds to me like you don't know the circumstances behind my transaction or my schedule. Correct me if I'm mistaken but you were inferring I am a coward; brave considering your method of delivery. You must be super macho behind your keyboard.

I'm not calling anyone a coward. We all have different schedules, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on an item and I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to use it I'm going to make sure I don't lose my receipt and If by chance I do, I'm not going to bad mouth the store for not refunding my money after the 30 day period when they have a store policy of it. I'm not sure what made your transaction any different.

If you didn't have a receipt I think you are lucky to even get store credit. Just my opinion. Think of it in the eyes of the retailer...

A few months ago I watched two ladies who were obviously working together return large amounts of clothing and fishing gear to Big 5 with no receipt for store credit. First one came in then the other while I was shopping. It was pretty easy to see some kind of scam was taking place as they had no idea what any of the fishing stuff was. As a retailer I would be very leary if there was no receipt involved.

On another note I visited the 82nd street store yesterday and the Vancouver store looks like it's better stocked than that one is. I was surprised to see a lack of Glock pistols on the wall. Only 4 or 5

Vancouver Store-
I visited earlier this week, after looking for a few minutes I asked about a particular handgun ammunition. I was told "Oh yeah, we carry it. Let me help you find it." A younger gent walked out from behind the counter and walked to where I had been searching and couldn't find any. We then walked back to the counter and he asked a co-worker. The co-worker replied "Yeah we carry XXXXX, but can't keep it in stock and if you were looking for advice that is crap ammo and I would stay away from it, would you be interested in XXXXX ammo we have a ton of it." After taking a deep breath to keep from chewing this guy out in the middle of the gun counter, I politely asked why he considered it crap ammo. He explained that a friend of his had very bad luck with it and asked if I had ever thought of shooting at something other than a piece of paper. This friend has had issues with the projectile falling apart while shooting at other than paper targets. WTF was that supposed to mean? Another deep breath and again in the most polite way (maybe with a little sarcasm) I thanked him and his friend for their opinions on the XXXXX ball ammo, but I was really looking for XXXXX HP that I have been shooting for years and continues to excel in multiple tests by Dr. Gary Roberts. I am sure it was horrible performance in the field that makes it hard to keep in stock. I calmly placed my merchandise on the gun counter and left the store empty handed.

Some peoples kids!

Vancouver Store-
I visited earlier this week, after looking for a few minutes I asked about a particular handgun ammunition. I was told "Oh yeah, we carry it. Let me help you find it." A younger gent walked out from behind the counter and walked to where I had been searching and couldn't find any. We then walked back to the counter and he asked a co-worker. The co-worker replied "Yeah we carry XXXXX, but can't keep it in stock and if you were looking for advice that is crap ammo and I would stay away from it, would you be interested in XXXXX ammo we have a ton of it." After taking a deep breath to keep from chewing this guy out in the middle of the gun counter, I politely asked why he considered it crap ammo. He explained that a friend of his had very bad luck with it and asked if I had ever thought of shooting at something other than a piece of paper. This friend has had issues with the projectile falling apart while shooting at other than paper targets. WTF was that supposed to mean? Another deep breath and again in the most polite way (maybe with a little sarcasm) I thanked him and his friend for their opinions on the XXXXX ball ammo, but I was really looking for XXXXX HP that I have been shooting for years and continues to excel in multiple tests by Dr. Gary Roberts. I am sure it was horrible performance in the field that makes it hard to keep in stock. I calmly placed my merchandise on the gun counter and left the store empty handed.

Some peoples kids!

so they are like 95% of every other gun shop in this country

Credit due to Panda for absorbing favorably my presentation of how I would handle all this, while I avoided assigning him any speculative motivations of which there is no evidence. This IS evidence he is no coward (apart from those who WOULD assign speculative and negative motivations to his actions and include name calling).

Honestly, I was pretty darn sure that despite my best effort to the contrary, I might have been too harsh. The internet (despite a marching horde of smiley-face icons) lends itself too easily to misinterpretation. Assuming the worst of people at first glance, and name-calling however, is ALWAYS interpreted accurately where estimation of the character of people who resort to it is concerned.

TJ approached the assignment of negative motivation, admirably avoided the name-calling, but fell victim to the internet when his message was interpreted by Panda. Panda almost put on the shoe to see if it fit. Never a good idea. If you are a hunting boot guy, never even pick up a penny-loafer offered.

Eagle eye, Looks like my team fell victim to in stock syndrome a bit. Sorry about that. Ammo has been difficult to get, still. You are right, we are like many of the guns shops out there. I will definately spend some time with them regarding over enthusiasm for instock and to not down talk brands. Thanks for letting us know about your experience. We will coach to improve. Hopefully they were at least polite. Gun enthusiasts all develop brand loyalty with a conviction second only to pick up truck owners. Its like trying to debate Chevy/Ford. Best to avaoid it as a retailer. Firearm clerks can become overly enthusiastic just as anyone in retail. We will do better.

Glocks are very popular. Wish I could stock an armory with them. We do tend to go through spurts of inventory on them. If you have a specific request, let me know and I can contact you when it comes in. Maybe find one at another store. PM or email me if I can help.

Most people don't realize the amount of retail fraud that is out there. It is staggering. Panda is in no way out of line in his request. It is quite common to lose receipts. The retail fraud ruins it for everyone else and presents a challenge to customer service. Retailers have been burnt so many times that they have to change policies. Thats why we can handle situations on a case by case.

Thanks again and please let me know when andhow we can improve. We are still learning.

Matt Selders

Kudos again for Matt Selders.Looka like he is genuinely concerned about our gripes and bubblegumes,and is willing to talk to his staff about how to maybe do things differently.At my favorite gun store the owner listens and says little unless asked.I like that,and have shopped there for years.Does he know more than me? YOU BETCHA he does,but he doe'sn't have to prove it every time a customer walks thru the door.Maybe this could be an example for all sales people,not just gun people.
thanks for being on the forum,Matt

The Burlington WA store leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the gun counter employee's and their lack of knowledge on state and federal gun laws. They claim it is a federal law that everyone must show ID before handling a gun of any kind. I told them they must be referring to store policy, but they were insistant that it is infact a federal law. I walked out and haven't been back.

I spoke with the store manager up there. You are right, there is no Federal Law about that. Sorry about the mis information. Hopefully we won't run into that again. I have spoken with our team as well in Vancouver to make sure that doesn't happen here.

Regards,
Matt Selders

I spoke with the store manager up there. You are right, there is no Federal Law about that. Sorry about the mis information. Hopefully we won't run into that again. I have spoken with our team as well in Vancouver to make sure that doesn't happen here.

Regards,
Matt Selders

Hello Matt: It's cool to see you check in here to monitor some customer feedback. Kudos (or "props" I guess I'd say if I were 2-3 decades younger).

I looked at this thread wondering if my own experience in WS was unique or common. Simply, I made quite a long drive to the store on 82nd (after calling first) only to find that some retail gun counter guys mistakenly believe the term ".22 standard velocity" refers to the high velocity ammo that comprises 95-100% of .22 brick/bulk ammo on the shelves of most stores. While HV is by far the most common, it is not "standard" at all. In fact, actual standard velocity .22 ammo in big cheap bricks gets downright scarce at times.

You haven't lost a customer, but please explain to the guys why some buyers will ask them to read what it says on the box when they phone ahead. A brick of 22 is a small profit item upon which to focus in such a discussion, but I also bought 2 pistols and a buttload of other related stuff in that store before the name change. Like most here, I tend to keep only useful toy stores on my go-to list.

Teflon,

Thank you for the heads up. You are correct, High velocity and stanard velocity are entirely different. It pays to read the label, rather than assume. Also, high velocity is way more common in brick/bulk than it it was just a few years back. I would say that 75% or more of our bulk is HV. Although we do carry some standard velocity. We also have been getting more choices in the premium 22. It tends to work a little better in the 22 semi auto pistols. Although those pistols can be very fickle with ammo brands. Its good to read up on any new purchase. I'll talk with the team about making dang sure we give better info over the phone. It happens, but it is entirely within our capabilities to know what we sell.

Thanks again and happy shooting!

Matt Selders

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews