JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious what if any would be the most significant upgrades y'all would make to a as the title says. A stock M&P Sport AR 15. This one has no FA or Dust Cover. The only thing that's been done is all Magpul furniture. Thank you in advance.

Trigger, sprinco blue buffer spring and an H2 or H1 buffer. Geissele Maritime bolt catch if you're a lefty, done.

I'm a righty and have the maritime bolt catch in all of mine.
Much easier release or hold open, especially with gloves on.

Along with that I also use in everything.
Centurion Arms two stage trigger in all but one.
Radian charging handle.
Radian safety selector.

I'd throw a blue spring and H2 at it as well.
May as well spend $5 more and get a BCM extractor spring kit for the bolt.
I put that in if it doesn't already have it.
Spring, insert and toss the o-ring.

Geissele bolt catch
IMG_20221224_080009.jpg

+1 on the trigger. A good trigger will make a big impact on your shooting experience. Have have limited experience with all the trigger options, but you can't go wrong with Geissele. Hyperfire makes a decent trigger for a reasonable price as well. Charging handle can be nice to upgrade as well, but I would do trigger first.

The trigger whore in me says get a Geissele.
It's a $500 rifle, I doubt it's getting a $200 trigger :D. Larue MBT is more cost effective here if a two stage is desired
The trigger whore in me says "buy a Geissele". :s0140:
Trigger whore is correct. Geissele is amazing.

To be fair, I have the MBT on one of my guns and it's pretty good too. It's no Geissele, but it's way better than stock. Most of my other ARs have the Geissele SSA or SSAE. I've tried a lot of triggers and Geissele is the best, LaRue is the best under $200. The trigger is by far the most important upgrade you can do.

Next, decide what your goal is. Is it accuracy, home defense, comfort, or prettiness?

Accuracy: Barrel and optics.
Home Defense: Sling and weapon mounted light, then a reflex or holographic sight.
Comfort: H1 or H2 buffer + upgraded spring, then handgrip and buttstock (which you've done well on already). Then custom controls, especially charging handle and bolt release.
Prettiness: Whatever catches your eye.

Put one of everything on it. That will be the perfect upgrade.

The bigger question is what do you want it to do that it is not currently doing. Then add those parts. I have several AR's and they are all set up different as they all have different uses. I think the only thing they have in common is using the original version of Ergo Grip.

Just curious what if any would be the most significant upgrades y'all would make to a as the title says. A stock M&P Sport AR 15. This one has no FA or Dust Cover. The only thing that's been done is all Magpul furniture. Thank you in advance.
SOPMOD Stock any brand, MIl-spec.

Put one of everything on it. That will be the perfect upgrade.

The bigger question is what do you want it to do that it is not currently doing. Then add those parts. I have several AR's and they are all set up different as they all have different uses. I think the only thing they have in common is using the original version of Ergo Grip.
Well since all I have is my little stock M&P Sport it would have to be versatile. It would be my go to all around AR. Thought about getting a stock BCM.

Last Edited:
Well since all I have is my little stock M&P Sport it would have to be versatile. It would be my go to all around AR. Thought about getting a stock BCM.
Not trying to sound difficult, but even versatile means a lot of different things depending on the use and even your style.

Take something as simple as sighting. Open sights vs dot vs LPVO vs traditional glass. All are versatile but in different areas.

If the sock you have now does not suit you, then you should upgrade it.

My 2 most used AR's are my dedicated .22 with 1-4x LPVO (short range plinking), collapsable M4 stye stock (it started life as an M4), VFG (I like fore grips), flashlight (I may use it at night against small critters) and silencer. It fun and cheap to shoot. My next most use one is my 24" Varminter with PRS stock (added for LOP and balance) IOR 4-14x scope (for long range), Redi-mag (have an extra 20rd mag on the gun), Harris bipod (mostly shot from prone) and silencer. This gun is very accurate and my main "squirrel" gun but is heavy for general use.

The gun that travels with me is my .308 with 16" barrel (large round for penetration and short/light weight for handling), has a mag pul mag release (the slightly longer receiver made for easier mag changes), 1-6x LPVO (works great for quick close targets and some distance), AFG (I like fore grips), flashlight (may be used for defense at night) and my silencer should be approved any time now.

I dont just put stuff on a gun to put stuff on a gun, it needs to serve a purpose. If I find that something is lacking, I find a solution. In a true SHTF, I am just as likely to grab my stock (other than grip) A2.

Last Edited:
Not trying to sound difficult, but even versatile means a lot of different things depending on the use and even your style.

Take something as simple as sighting. Open sights vs dot vs LPVO vs traditional glass. All are versatile but in different areas.

My 2 most used AR's are my dedicated .22 with 1-4x LPVO, collapsable M4 stye stock, VFG, flashlight and silencer. It fun and cheap to shoot. My next most use one is my 24" Varminter with PRS stock IOR 4-14x scope, Redi-mag, Harris bipod and silencer. This gun is very accurate and my main "squirrel" gun but is heavy for general use.

The gun that travels with me is my .308 with 16" barrel, has a mag pul mag release, 1-6x LPVO, AFG, flashlight and my silencer should be approved any time now.

I dont just put stuff on a gun to put stuff on a gun, it needs to serve a purpose. If I find that something is lacking, I find a solution. In a true SHTF, I am just as likely to grab my stock (other than grip) A2.
Well then the answer is yes it would be my SHTF AR. LOL. Not being difficult at all I get what you're sayin. Thank you.

My 2 most used AR's are my dedicated .22 with 1-4x LPVO (short range plinking), collapsable M4 stye stock (it started life as an M4), VFG (I like fore grips), flashlight (I may use it at night against small critters) and silencer. It fun and cheap to shoot. My next most use one is my 24" Varminter with PRS stock (added for LOP and balance) IOR 4-14x scope (for long range), Redi-mag (have an extra 20rd mag on the gun), Harris bipod (mostly shot from prone) and silencer. This gun is very accurate and my main "squirrel" gun but is heavy for general use.

The gun that travels with me is my .308 with 16" barrel (large round for penetration and short/light weight for handling), has a mag pul mag release (the slightly longer receiver made for easier mag changes), 1-6x LPVO (works great for quick close targets and some distance), AFG (I like fore grips), flashlight (may be used for defense at night) and my silencer should be approved any time now.

I think if I could I'd like a dust cover.

in order, 1) trigger upgrade, 2) red dot, 3) whatever stock you like.

can you add a dust cover?

is this the one?
1678247899376.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR