JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMO, the "re-train them forever" concept seems pretty futile. Crappy employees should be let go as soon as possible. There is nothing worse than being a good employee and seeing some slacker getting special treatment. It demoralizes the good and reinforces that bad behavior has no consequences.

KISS, reward the good, cull the bad. Anything else is feel good B.S. Especially in this market place where it should not be too hard to find motivated employees willing to work hard in a pretty easy job.

A vote for Mister Selders' time-honored technique, it would seem. "Crappy employees" one would think, would be "culled" prior to becoming employees. No "special treatment" is advocated for anyone: treat them all the same, with respect and high expectations, while the supervisor demonstrates he values these. I would hope that it is not unrecognized that a good employee can be discouraged if the only management strategies he encounters are "re-training", and "offer to help you find other employment".

I agree that Mister Selders' strategy is well within the acronym KISS. It fully encompasses the last two letters. Successful motivation of workers (to the chagrin of Mister Selders) is neither.

As to the hard, intelligent and unsimple work of "feel good B.S.", this might actually be a fair evaluation, but only to the extent that the application means the supervisor and the employee feel good, and the result is Burgeoning Sales.

Unfortunately, I've seen many a good company ruined as they work too hard to keep poor employees and the good employees move on to better opportunities.

I don't believe it is possible to get an accurate evaluation of an employee's skills prior to employment. Especially now that H.R. departments will not give out negative referrals for former employees for fear of being sued.

That is why there are probationary periods for new hires. Bring them in, test them out, and cull them early if they don't show promise.

I attempted to respond, in kind, with due consideration to the post regarding management techniques. Unfortunately, my lack of computer expertise must have caused my session to "time out" and a failure to post. Sorry about that. I fully believed that my response posted successfully.

Retail, is a very fickle business to say the least. I believe, firmly, to offer each inidividual employee the tools and training to become successful within our business. By keeping an employee overlong in a position that he/she is not well suited, does them wrong. Realize that my intention in mentioning that if through coaching, an employee cannot or will not, excel, was to point out that those processes occur. That is not my only management technique. In fact, I believe it is a last resort and compunded issue of putting someone who could excel in another role, in the wrong position. I poorly communicated this.

To your point about hiring the right people the first time; I 100% agree with you. It is incredibly improtant to find the right people. We sometimes miss. Most often though, we can find a near perfect fit for them. I took over this store roughly 7 months ago and to be fair, this team has had many store managers, with as many different leadership styles. I care deeply for my team and my company. I do anything and everything within my abilities to ensure their success.

I analyze the strengths and talents of my team regularly. We devote more time to strengths and try to minimize the weakness. We reward postive performance with positive reinforcement. We train and re-train as often to the benefit of the customer and employee. I am honest with them, and always expect the same. There is very little flattery and pomp in our store. However, I freely give out thanks, accolades, and support.

I am devoting time and energy, as much as possible, to Northwest Firearms, because your points are valid. You are welcome to criticize my leadership, because where the head leads, the body follows. If you are wronged by my staff, you are wronged by me. We are a team. I think you'll find things are the mend here. We do the best we can with the tools and resources we are given.

I love my team and I love my job. I appreciate you giving me your honest feedback Spitpatch. It has prompted me to rethink things a bit. We are a young company and I have much to learn.

EMP- I am sorry about your experiences with the special orders. Our special order process was quite difficult and not time effective. We have since made quite a few improvements. Please let me know if there is any way we can help get resolution going forward. Its likely past that stage, but if there is anything we can do, we will ensure it gets done.

Regards,

Matt Selders

And, Matt, this is not the first time I have drawn what I believe to be valid conclusions given evidence at hand (and no other information forthcoming). It is also not the first (or the last time) my conclusions based on that evidence/lack of other information will be shown to be wrong.

Thanks for your reply. Your management style (now shown in near entirety) I am certain is already reaping benefits. Clearing the air here is to your credit.

Thank you Northwest Firearms. I would like to start a new thread, about an ideal shopping experience for a firearm enthusiast. What sort of store is best suited for you? What do you expect from staff? In the Northwest, what are the most important aspects of a shopping experience, specific to firearms enthusiasts and beyond what retail should be devoted to, that promote a long term partnership between customer and shopkeeper? What brings in new people to the sport?

To keep it impartial, it would be best I think, if someone from the forum, who is not associated with a firearms dealer were to start a thread. If I were to start it, it would come across very much as pandering. However, being public collective knowledge, it would be available to all of the shopkeepers. Any thoughts?

Matt Selders

It's different everywhere but my feeling and perspective being of mixed race, ( father is from Europe and moms from the Philippines)...is that if you dress and act cordial and don't have a street mentality dress up or ghetto dressup, you will most likely get pretty good service no matter what.

Wholesale on 82nd is like any other place and you have CS that can get jaded and out of touch in terms of dealing with customers.

Dress the part is my suggestion or **** ,wear a tie...I don't know but when I work the gun show tables in Portland.....the serious people who will buy something surely dress different then the not so serious people.

Black, white, green, yellow, brown..doesn't matter.....but it is my opinion that people will garnish a sense of respect to you if you dress cordially and nicely.

Not be discriminating or anything but seriously...do you expect people to treat you normally if you dress like a thug???

and IN before the next posters say I am discriminating because well I dress like a gangster because it is my free right to do so....yeah well..we got whiners left and right about hippies at the occupy portland and other stuff...and now cowboys and rednecks and hilliepillies complain that because they can't find the time to dress like it's time for church...well now......

Being white gay males we are every retail business's wet dream. At least we were when we fit the stereotype of dual income and no kids. Of course back then we had money and we shopped mostly at Nordstrom or Meier & Frank. Those places treat customers right. Now that we are single income with two kids we are part of the Target and Fred Meyer crowd. We have had to get used to the employees being minimum wage earners that could not care less whether we have a pleasant shopping experience or not...and the fact that they know nothing about the products they are selling. Still, to me, the most important aspect of customer service is a positive attitude. I would rather deal with someone that tries to help me but fails who is friendly than I would someone that gets me what I want but is an jerk while doing it.

Matt, I'd like to say 'thank you' for your interest in our site,and especially for your interest in our input.Retail is a tough business,and being a store manger is xtra xtra tough.so....thanks !
One suggestion for your store,I often look for small items like a.22 caliber bore brush and cleaning jag.YOUR store was out of those jags for WEEEKS recently.Just a very minor irritation of course,but it's the little things that get overlooked ,but the little things can often bring people back for bigger items.
Again,thanks for being here,and I will continue to shop at your store in the future.

Matt, as I described previously, I expect different things from my small local gunshop than I expect from an outfit like yours. With that in mind, here's what I'd like to see from an outfit like yours:

1) Moderately knowledgeable persons working in the department to which they are assigned: I do not expect all gun counter guys to know what I might know, and on the other hand, some gun counter guys might know things about arenas in which I am ignorant (Glocks, etc.). Worse than someone who is not well-versed, is a clerk who's not and professes (or pretends) to be. These shortcomings can be somewhat overcome by having different guys that are up on different aspects, and the good clerk that is in over his head (and honestly acknowledges it to the customer) can tap his partner who is better informed as a resource for that particular aspect. An "expert" may not always be who you think it is: the female clerk who has just recently gone to CCW classes and purchased her very first (perhaps only) gun, may just be the "expert" to put in touch with a new customer facing the same decisions. Far better than the "know-it-all" Bubba.

2) Shelf stocking and special orders: red flag should go up (especially in a store with your resources) when a seemingly knowledgeable customer asks for an item and is told "we don't carry that", or "we don't have that", or "we're out of it right now". That customer should be invited to join the clerk to watch that clerk put that item on an order list (or, in the case of somewhat obscure items, a store "wish list"). The customer should be asked for a contact number, and phoned to notify of the result of his request: either the item is due in in two weeks, demand has not been that great and we do not intend to stock it unless we have a few more requests, etc. Finest example of this is the person here who strongly recommended you carry Match Grade Federal primers. I'd add my name to that wish list, and so would a lot of serious handloaders. Best reply to a person asking for something you don't have, is "We can GET it!". Next best is, "We don't have it, but you might try Brand X down the road: I heard they carry that regularly. I'll call their shop for you right now if you want." This is customer SERVICE, above and beyond the importance of a sale.

3) Out of stock items might be marked with a note on the shelf "odered such and such date, expected arrival such and such date".

4) Appearance: PrDubi mentioned recommendations for customers. My recommendations are for the clerks: a guy wearing a tie is not the guy I want advising me on what stink is best for elk. Well-groomed is certainly mandatory. Outdoor-type clothing befitting the department (conveying some experience) is a plus.

That is a short list of what I'd like to see.

In stock position. This is my bane. On the surface it looks so easy. Run out, order more. I can say that we have added a new support department to the company dedicated solely to increase in-stock position, which is awesome. Its not just for firearms, but the entire store. So we have high hopes to increase our conversion on this. We picked up some incredibly talented people for the group too.

I like the idea about the labeling out of stocks with an "on order" sign. This is where a small shop can run circles around us. Small box shop owners call up the vendor, place a small order, stuff comes in. It gives them order mobility. I envy it.

We wear the black shirts day and day out. Easy to spot our staff now. I used to wear sportcoats and ties until we had to wear these shirts.

What about used trade ins? Is it something that is important to customers? I can tell you that it is unlikley that we will handle them anytime soon but what are your thoughts?

Used guns that cost less than new...ya gotta watch some shops..are of very high interest to me.I"ve bought 5 used guns in the last year and a half,maybe 1 new gun. I don't have to save a small forturne on a used gun,even 35 bucks piques my interest,fyi.

Friendly and easy for a "price-matching" policy can only be achieved one way: customer shows reasonable proof the item is available elswhere for a lower price (no big specific requirements about "print ad", "local merchant", "internet excluded", etc.). If THIS price-matching policy is in place, the customer will naturally gravitate (and start) his shopping at the merchant making that offer. All else is window dressing. Very much like rebates that require a certain portion of a box end-flap be stapled to a certain portion of the rebate receipt, stick your finger in your ear, twirl three times, and if you get all this right, you get your rebate (allow 4-6 weeks for processing, of course).

Best reply to a person asking for something you don't have, is "We can GET it!". Next best is, "We don't have it, but you might try Brand X down the road: I heard they carry that regularly. I'll call their shop for you right now if you want." This is customer SERVICE, above and beyond the importance of a sale..
+1

I've had this experience as a customer firsthand.
I'll tell you what, I made sure to go back to that Ma-&-Pa shop that redirected me, even though I probably could have saved money doing it online.

Asp, spitpatch; totally agree. Our staff traditionally has been asked to direct customers a few questions when we are out of stock to help determine the best course of action. Often times we can facilitate a "phone order" from one of our own stores when it is in stock at another location. This works well most of the time. However if the customer need is immediate, we direct them to local store that is likely to have the item instock now. We try to "cross sell" when another brand item is very similar and may fit the cusotmer needs. In the firearm world, this can be very difficult. But by asking the right questions, a service associate should be able to determine the best course for the customer, based on needs.

We currently are working to correct the root issue which is in stock position. Which is improving and should see some great strides thsi year. Having the right item, at the right time for the right price is one of the many keys to retail success.

Price Matching- we are making it easier for the customer and the service associate. The service associate can now approve price matches of up to $50 difference, with brick and mortar stores. $50 or more will be approved by a manager. It is an inline change, so there won't be alot of hubub about it. It will be quick and easy for both. It will take time to catch on customers and some training on our end will be involved. We will also use this to bring our pricing in line with other retailers. Anything that makes things more efficient and is a policy that favors the customer, hopefully will help our customer service level.

Matt Selders

Most price match policies are garbage. Sears always says they will match prices on appliances. The part they do not tell you is they have all their appliances coded with a different serial number. I think it is a J they add at the end or something. Same item, just one letter different at the end of the serial number. They use that to say their model is different.

Wow, you guys scorched Wholesale Sports! I can't say it is't true. I've had some bad customer service experiences there as well, and so have my friends. On the other hand, so of the guys working at their gun counters are great. I shop at 3 of their stores and have figured out who they are. I always wait for them to help me. If I could make a suggestion to Wholesale, you need to identify these people and put them in charge of a training program for the new guys.

I will say I don't buy much there though unless it is on sale or I have a coupon. The prices are just too high for most items, but they do have decent gun prices. Still, 90% of my business is done on-line now. I might end up buying a small pistol from them soon, unless I can find it less expensive somewhere else.

Penguin, I have encountered this in the firearm world as well. One large firearms retailer used to have a line of firearms made for them exclusively and were identical to the firearm made available to every other retailer. The were able to sell them much less than we were able to. Every indication on the firearm said it was the same, short of one letter in the mfg code. This was a few years back. We offer exclusives and get some special buys, but we won't bait and switch.

Matt Selders

Matt, I applaud your openness and your patience in answering these posts. There seem to be a lot of people in the gun world who are intent on proving that their expertise is greater than someone else's. You see it on boards like this, and on both sides of the retail counter. When it's coming from behind the counter it's a huge turnoff. When it's coming from the customer side it's an exercise in patience. There are a couple of additional points I can make with a couple of true stories.

I used to own a very common small pickup. You could count a half dozen of that model in any parking lot with 100 cars in it. I went into a parts store close to the house one day looking for an air cleaner for it. The spot on the shelf where it should have been was empty. I asked the clerk when he would be getting more of them. He said he would be getting more the following Tuesday. He said they got a new shipment every Tuesday. I said that was curious because this was Wednesday and they were out of stock. I asked him how many they get every week and he replied "two". I then asked him how come they didn't order more. He replied, "We only sell two a week. Why would we order more?"

I used to own a large marina. Part of that business was a fleet of rental house boats. They rented for about $2000 per week. One of them blew an engine the day it was supposed to start a new weekly rental. The renter and his family were coming from 800 miles away by car and couldn't be contacted. When they arrived it was my duty to tell them that they wouldn't be taking a boat out, as we were sold out and theirs was down for maintenance. They were extremely disappointed, but I told them that I thought we could make it up to them. I then presented them with the key to a rental cabin we'd gotten for them at a nearby resort for the week. I told them that they could take either a rental ski boat or a rental bass boat every day from dawn to dusk, no charge. I also presented them with vouchers for tickets to some of the local evening attractions (music shows, plays, water park, rodeo, etc.) for their 5 nights with us. Their frowns immediately turned into quick glances at each other and smiles began to break out. Our out-of-pocket cost for all of this was about $1800. We recouped a documented $8,000 in sales and rentals from these folks and their friends over the next 2 years. They advertised for us everywhere they went. Good customer service can be profitable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top