JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tastes Great! Less Filling!

Seriously though... buy or shoot both. Aks come in 5.56... and 5.45 which is dirt cheap right now, or was recently. If I had no rifle and needed one one... and was on a budget... I would get a 5.45 ak and as many tins of ammo as I could afford. A dream AR and no ammo will not be helpful.

Of the two, I'll go with the AK.

I know the AR is by far more accurate, has a flatter trajectory, is more versatile, etc. but its durability would really worry me.

Say what you want about the AK's weaknesses (EVERY firearm has them), you just can't argue with their record for serving their shooters in very adverse conditions for the last six decades.

Worse comes to worse, you could use the AK as a club and not feel at all bad about it. (But I'd feel pretty bad about bashing a cool looking black rifle into stuff).

But - if I could pick my own SHTF gun, it would definitely be a 10/22 with a few 25 round Butler Creek mags loaded with subsonics. It is a very reliable, is quiet, light weight and it's an accurate weapon with small, lightweight ammo. A person could pack around 1000 rounds of .22LR with no trouble and provided it's clean ammo, probably shoot up all 1000 rounds without cleaning the gun more than once.

As well, a .22 will take not only small game, but even animals up to deer size with proper shot placement out to about 150 yards on a consistant basis. (That's not too bad considering that an AK or SKS chambered in 7.62 is not exactly known for precision accuracy past about 200 yards). For that matter, you know what happens if you shoot small game with an AK or AR - it's a mess!

Not too mention, if the SHTF, I could undoubtedly use that 10/22 to "obtain" an AK AND an AR from the average thug.

Last Edited:
AK, hands down. Sure, my AR is more accurate and ammo is more abundant; nevertheless, I wont have to worry if my AK is clean enough to function correctly or if the harsh conditions I've been putting it through have taken a toll on my much needed rifle.

7.62x39 is a very formidable round, especially when compared to the 5.56. When you have to take down medium to big game or shoot through cover, I would take the 7.62x39 over the 5.56 any day of the week.

mine is best, no mine is best, no mine is best, no mine is best:s0112::s0112: You are all wrong, mine is best:D:D:s0114: Doesn't really matter cause most guys will only get off about ten shots before they are killed.:s0131:

AR will work fine for that short of time.

jj

AK, get some dirt/sand/soil around that chamber your AR is done for. Try getting that crap outta there in the heat of a battle, youre good as dead. Plus, with an AK, ammo, parts, magazines are plentiful around the world, say you have an AR youre really limited to just one part of world.

I'm going with the AR.....but when the SHTF I'm doing my best to avoid confrontation, which I can do my traveling faster with a lighter weapon, which allows me to travel with more ammo. Since I'm avoiding CQB, I'll stick with the weapon that allows me better acc. at distance.

The Book "The Road" was far superior to the movie.

No simple answer from me. It depends on a few things: Am I defending my home, or leaving it? Am I leaving on foot or in a vehicle? Do I know where I'm going? Is there a trained organized enemy, or random social chaos? Was I able to meet up with friends, or am I on my own? How much warning (time to plan) did I have? One might think that having thought of all of these questions I'd have answers to them, but I don't. The whole thing makes my head spin, and anything that could happen so quickly and dramatically that there would be no time to plan or organize, would be an extremely low-survival rate kind of event.

I suppose if I left my house on foot and had no idea if I'd ever return, and thought I was going to do a lot of shooting on my way to meeting my maker, I'd grab an AK. On the other hand, my SHTF AR has an AccuPoint 1-4x dual illuminated (no batteries) optic on it, and that set up is so versatile and accurate from 0ft. - 100yards that its hard to beat -- I have nothing that can touch that potential for the AK.

Neither...save your money and buy a socom 16, you cant go wrong with 308 going down Range. And weight isnt that bad, if your weak go workout and get stronger your gonna need it when SHTF. And ammo is everywere. 20 round mags are great, just learned to shoot because every rounnd will count when SHTF.

I think I've gotten swung into the AK camp surprisingly to me. Reliability I think would be probably the most important component in a SHTF situation. Thank you all, I'm now shopping for an AK.

AK without question. It will shoot - every time ( at least mine does!)

if your worried that the ak47 has to much recoil and you will NOT be able to be as accurate as the AR. No FEAR! there are sollutions...

1. Get a FSC47 compensator and a recoil buffer.
- or -
2. Get an AK74

Either way the Ak system will be much better for when SHTF.( my oppinion)

AR systems are nothing to bash on. They are great for different purposes. I don;t believe it's ideal for SHTF.

If you must get an AR system just go with a COLT or M&P.

P.S - Stock up on ammo :)

The VZ-58's a decent gun to be sure, but mags are much, much harder to come by, as are just about any spare parts. In a SHTF situation, that can prove troublesome. The VZ doesn't work any better, it's not more reliable so I don't think there's enough advantage to prefer it over the AK.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top