JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd say a Vepr in 6.5g with a 24" barrel could be quite fun!

Makes me think of the one I let go in 7.62x54r. Damn accurate rifle.

.224 valkyrie is a great choice, I just did a build with an x caliber barrel and am loving it. Great performance, relatively cheap factory ammo and brass, supersonic to 1200+ yards, and 90 gr matchkings at mag length, what's not to love?
Agreed. My factory PSA barrel didn't do super well with the factory 90 GR federal SMKs, but I just happen to have a Wilson combat super sniper here in a 1:6.5 twist that's begging to be installed and tried out!

224 val has yet to be produced with the proper spin rate to stabilize the longer heaviest bullets they said will work in all these guns. Most are just reusing 1/7 twist barrels already available for 223/556 and chambering them in 224 Val. I think someone should make a 1/6 twist some day.
White Oak builds one with a 1-6.5 twist Krieger barrel.
Shop New White Oak Precision .224 Valkyrie 24 Barrel, 1-6.5 Twist (Krieger) | .224 Valkyrie
I too would like to shoot 1000 yards with a AR platform. From what I have read and seen at
matches is that a 22 caliber will do fine at 1000 yards if it is calm. In a light 10 mph changing
wind conditions with the 22 cal. your lucky to keep it on paper.:eek: The 6.5 Grendel would be the only
caliber to fit your need. IMHO I have a buddy shooting a 6.5 Grendel. Great long range accuracy.
I am looking at a 6.5 Creedmoor purchase for the long range game.:rolleyes: Probably a bolt gun.

Last Edited:
White Oak builds one with a 1-6.5 twist Krieger barrel.
Shop New White Oak Precision .224 Valkyrie 24 Barrel, 1-6.5 Twist (Krieger) | .224 Valkyrie
I too would like to shoot 1000 yards with a AR platform. From what I have read and seen at
matches is that a 22 caliber will do fine at 1000 yards if it is calm. In a light 10 mph changing
wind conditions with the 22 cal. your lucky to keep it on paper.:eek: The 6.5 Grendel would be the only
caliber to fit your need. IMHO I have a buddy shooting a 6.5 Grendel. Great long range accuracy. He
pointed out one alarming detail. If the Grendel bullet is seated a little deeper it will chamber
in a 223 upper.:oops: Pushing a 6.5 caliber bullet into a 223/5.56 barrel would be a very bad day.:eek::eek::eek:
I am looking at a 6.5 Creedmoor purchase for the long range game.:rolleyes: Probably a bolt gun.

Ummm, not trying to be a smarty pants but.... isn't Grendel brass larger diameter than 223?

I know you can hit 1000 with 5.56 and you probably already have one of those.

Why not just update and give it a face lift and go from there. If you are wanting a new rifle then build one. My .02

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top