JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anybody used one?
Yes, owned one for about 12 years. It has largely in part taken over all my reloading.

My RC press still gets used for some things, rifle case sizing, pulling bullets etc.

Like I said previously if I had known about the Co Ax when I got started reloading I probably wouldn't have a Rock Chucker.

I can't say its a BETTER press than the RC but the design, quick change die system and the universal case holder has made reloading more 'streamlined' for me and faster as well - especially with handgun ammo.

That's what I'd heard, but then I started reading about the coax. I'd never heard of it before. Has anybody used one?
I have a Co-Ax, and really like it. The floating die chamber makes swapping dies a breeze, and I like the jaw shellholder design. I also have an old RCBS Rockchucker, and a JR press, but don't use them much anymore since getting the Co-Ax. It's my go to for loading rifle rounds. I do higher volume handgun on a couple Dillon progressives.

If all my presses, my Co-Ax is used the most. Sure, by volume the Dillon 650 cranks out a lot more. The coax is just too easy for deprine, neck bump and seat. You'll want to get the Forster die rings.
The Co-Ax won't do the PRC very well because the .535 base of the cartridge is a wee bit too big for the large universal jaw. It also doesn't handle as easily, cartridges longer than 3" OAL due to die bottom/bullet tip clearance. For example, when I do use it to seat 7LRM, I have to help spread the jaws to seat the case. Then seat the bullet. Spread the jaws, unseat the case, lift up, tilt the bottom out and then remove the case. You can do it, just not convenient.
I have a Lee Classic Cast for those - 7LRM, 300 RUM, 338 Edge and 338 Winmag.
I use mine extensively for 308 based cases, 6 Rem, 6.5 Swede, 284 Win based cases, etc. The 30-06 would be a breeze in it.

The press is only as good as the dies your using.
I bought a used rockchucker for $30.00 and use Redding match dies and turn out some pretty good ammo.

I have a Mec Marksmen with the floating self centering shellholder which I bought during my quest for producing ammo with low runout. What I found was dies have more to do with producing ammo with greater concentricity than the press itself, as long as it is a decent press. My rcbs rockchuker supreme produces ammo every bit as concentric as the marksman using the same dies. I can elaborate on die combos I use for producing ammo with with very good concentricity if you are interested.

The press is only as good as the dies your using.
I bought a used rockchucker for $30.00 and use Redding match dies and turn out some pretty good ammo.
Disagree. I'd say technique is the most important criterion.
I use Dillon, Forster, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, RCBS match, Redding, Redding bushing type, Whidden, Wilson and custom dies too. Some are way better and better designed than others, but not one of my dies produces ammo with any more than 0.004" TIR. Yes, I do check....

The flip side of the coin is, I have never been able to tell the difference in ammo with less than .002" total runout and ammo with less than about .006 or .007" total runout. Above .006 or .007" I have been able to notice a degradation in precision.

I have a Mec Marksmen with the floating self centering shellholder which I bought during my quest for producing ammo with low runout. What I found was dies have more to do with producing ammo with greater concentricity than the press itself, as long as it is a decent press. My rcbs rockchuker supreme produces ammo every bit as concentric as the marksman using the same dies. I can elaborate on die combos I use for producing ammo with with very good concentricity if you are interested.
You and I posted opposite opinions, and I'd like to hear your combos.
With my Co-Ax and Lee, as well as the many RCs I have owned, I will take at least three ram cycles to seat the bullet, rotating the case 120° or 90° with each operation. Perhaps voodoo, but I'm happy with the TIR that I see.

The first combo that produces ammo with the least amount of runout on my presses are using a redding full length sizing die with neck bushing. The factory bushings induce runout so I use only short action custom bushings, which produce awesome concentricity. Bullet seating I mostly use redding competition seating dies.
The other combo that works well is a redding body die to bump shoulder and size case. This is followed by a lee collet neck die adjusted to to achieve proper neck tension, followed by the same redding competition seating die.
These combos work well in my presses so ymmv. Full disclaimer, I have never used a forester coax press and it may pair with other die combos to make very concentric ammo.
Another point of fact is I anneal brass after every firing.

Good Post, as a Bench shooter, concentricity does make a difference.
If I am shooting flat backs into the lands not so much, but if you are loading with boat tails that need a jump it's important. Weatherby with free bore is one of the worst. They have to be concentric or accuracy
goes to hell. When loading for AR type rifle's, to check a barrel I always use a Sled so the rounds stay concentric. Good Thread !

Good Post, as a Bench shooter, concentricity does make a difference.
If I am shooting flat backs into the lands not so much, but if you are loading with boat tails that need a jump it's important. Weatherby with free bore is one of the worst. They have to be concentric or accuracy
goes to hell. When loading for AR type rifle's, to check a barrel I always use a Sled so the rounds stay concentric. Good Thread !
I've got a GA Precision coming, so now I'm looking for a new press. I had a Lee Classic before moving to Hawaii, and I was planning on getting a Dillon 550 when I got back, but with primer prices, it doesn't really make sense right now.

300 PRC is almost $3/round, and I can tailor a round to the rifle.

Another point of fact is I anneal brass after every firing.
I'll anneal after every other firing.
I'm not sold on the Lee neck die yet. I have one each for 260 Rem and 7/08. Without a force gauge on any of my presses, my sense of feeling (very crude measurement) tells me my neck tension is OK. When I find one that's much different, I've started looking at the neck web thickness.
I have a Redding neck die for my 243 and other calibers, and I prefer that for bumping over the Lee ones. I guess the designation "competition" means bushing die, and I have never found a need to change my bushings. I'm too unsophisticated to tell the difference between the bushed vs non-bushed dies in the end product.
I see that there is a coax xl, is that bigger to handle the 300 PRC?
Expensive! That's for the big boys. Cheytac, BMG, etc.
From the XL press description:
Note Forster is in the process of having 50 BMG Dies available (along with 375 CheyTac, 408 CheyTac, and 375 EnABELR Dies).
You can get the Co-Ax shell holder adapter plate for use in place of the Universal Jaws. I just jump over to the Lee for that.

Edit to add: when RCBS presses have come up for sale at super low prices, I have bought them. From the JR to the RCII, they're outstanding presses. I've sold two and given away three. I just prefer the Lee Classic Cast.

Last Edited:
With the lee collet neck die I disregard instructions and let my press cam over. I adjust die down until I get neck od dimension .002" under loaded round neck od. I get repeatable results:

I'll anneal after every other firing.
I'm not sold on the Lee neck die yet. I have one each for 260 Rem and 7/08. Without a force gauge on any of my presses, my sense of feeling (very crude measurement) tells me my neck tension is OK. When I find one that's much different, I've started looking at the neck web thickness.

Expensive! That's for the big boys. Cheytac, BMG, etc.
From the XL press description:

You can get the Co-Ax shell holder adapter plate for use in place of the Universal Jaws.
So the Co-Ax XL is for the bigger booolits?

Here's a pretty good article I read a few months ago where 14 different presses get tested. There's a German one that is quite sexy!!!!

Turban-CNC-Präzipress-120mm-Glam-2000-1200x792.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads