JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IDK if they did anything besides Mauser 98s lol. I guess I got a Weatherby (1/4 turn lefty in 300WBYMAG) and a Sako for my 22-250.
But the rest are various Mausers. I'm refitting some of the old guns to newer calibers to expand my barrel making knowledge (don't trust a skinny chef).
But all the original stocks and barrels are being preserved. Always need brass and bullets! Well that is till you have many thousands of said things.
We are always open for nickel tours as well.
Jim Cuthbert - I had to rack my brain for a while to remember the last name. I remember something about an extra long mailbox for rifle barrels shipped through the mail.

That would be pretty awesome to stop by some day for a quick tour. The last time I was there was just after the business moved locations, into the old Sumner school or something, as I recall? I might just contact you next time I'm planning a trip, if you don't mind.

I don't know when we'll be down that way next, but I have a lot of life-long friends in the area, so one of these days. My boys and I were just in the general area a few weeks ago, drove over the mountain from Powers to Agness, then up the coast. I showed them my old stomping grounds. It was a fun trip. Lots of memories.

Another member on here from Newberg let me shoot a few rounds through his Desert Eagle a couple years ago. It's quite a gun, lots of fun!

I was having issues many MANY years ago with FTF (I believe). I searched everywhere for a remedy and 1 person sent me a PM. They were having the same issue and someone told them, "it sounds like it is having issues stripping the next round out of the magazine. The springs in those mags are super stiff because of what it is and what it is shooting. Try "storing" it with 3 rounds in the mag and let the spring "sag" a little."

So, i went home and put 3 rounds in each mag. Months afterwards, I was able to make it to the range again and it cycled everything flawlessly.

Note: this is just something that may/may not be beneficial if you run into cycling issues.

Desert Eagle 50a.JPG

Last Edited:
I guess to address your original question...... I have no data for Lil' Gun load data for 325gr AE loads.

According to the chart, it does appear to be a slightly faster burn than 110/296. The faster burn rate might be an "issue" in this huge magnum.

burn-rate-chart.png

Whelp first shots down, 6 rounds 2 FTFs. Unburnt powder in the lugs yet primers seem flat AF. 29gn IMR 4227/325gn plated/WinMapPistol primers.
They seemed pretty hot but the 44mag 926 smith stings the wrist more.
Overall pretty fun.
More powder? Primers say no, can see some light ejector marks on the brass as well.
I could definitely shoot some more.

20230730_140741.jpg 20230730_140950.jpg 20230730_135134.jpg

Comparing the 325gn loads their 29.5gn for IMR 4227. Kind of want to try 25gn of LIL Gun (to start). Wondering if faster powders will burn better.
I've also heard going LRPs instead of LMP.

20230730_155646.jpg

Large rifle primers loaded fine maybe a bit less pressure sign. Switched to a Lee seater for a heavier crimp (Hornady didn't really crimp ). No FTFs. Still hot powder in the face.

20230730_164709.jpg 20230730_164734.jpg

Large rifle primers loaded fine maybe a bit less pressure sign. Switched to a Lee seater for a heavier crimp (Hornady didn't really crimp ). No FTFs. Still hot powder in the face.

View attachment 1462478 View attachment 1462479
I don't know what primer manuals say to use in the .50 but large rifle and pistol primers have different heights, unlike small primers.

I definitely check for flush before I load anything. Flush is good.
There's like 0.008 difference so if your firing pin can't strike an 0.008 gap you might have some other issues.
I should prob verify the pocket depth but its not crushing the face of the primer so it must be deep enough.

I definitely check for flush before I load anything. Flush is good.
There's like 0.008 difference so if your firing pin can't strike an 0.008 gap you might have some other issues.
I should prob verify the pocket depth but its not crushing the face of the primer so it must be deep enough.
Some of those primer strikes look like they're barely there.

I was having issues many MANY years ago with FTF (I believe). I searched everywhere for a remedy and 1 person sent me a PM. They were having the same issue and someone told them, "it sounds like it is having issues stripping the next round out of the magazine. The springs in those mags are super stiff because of what it is and what it is shooting. Try "storing" it with 3 rounds in the mag and let the spring "sag" a little."

So, i went home and put 3 rounds in each mag. Months afterwards, I was able to make it to the range again and it cycled everything flawlessly.

Note: this is just something that may/may not be beneficial if you run into cycling issues.

View attachment 1459834
Now that I read this it does NOT want to feed the first of 6. The Spring is super stiff.

I got a whole pile of 50ae hornady hollow points. I made up a bunch and honestly have not gone through them all. I believe my gun preferred near max loads of 4227. It is a hoot to shoot, though I will be candid I prefer to run mine in 44mag.

I've always wanted a DE, mainly in 44Mag but would also like the 50AE version too. I love 50's and have maybe a "couple". I'd like to shoot a 50AE next to either one of my 500Mag's for comparison. I too only load one at a time for newbies as the revolver has already doubled on someone who didn't have a good enough grip. I also have one or two (2) 50 Beowulf AR's too! Did I mention I love 50's?

I've always wanted a DE, mainly in 44Mag but would also like the 50AE version too. I love 50's and have maybe a "couple". I'd like to shoot a 50AE next to either one of my 500Mag's for comparison. I too only load one at a time for newbies as the revolver has already doubled on someone who didn't have a good enough grip. I also have one or two (2) 50 Beowulf AR's too! Did I mention I love 50's?
If Either of my 500 Mags, doubles, we have a serious problem. I mean, I do not know how to make a TC Encore double. And if you unintentionally throw the lever on a BHA, well, that is a serious concern.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top