JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who has some 50AE loads? I load/shoot various 50beowulf loads so I have supplies.
It's been a 30 yr dream to buy one since my first real SHOT show in 1994ish... 14yr old me is really happy right now.

received_577630047915743.jpeg

Careful with that title, some dude from Texas on here will get up in arms about you using that new slang ("spicy") despite him simultaneously and hypocritically using the term "cringe" which to my knowledge was not used back in the 1960's..

That being said, congrats on the new purchase! If ever I had the funds I'd pick up one of these!

Last Edited:
Careful with that title, some dude from Texas on here will get up in arms about you using that new slang ("spicy") despite him simultaneously and hypocritically using the term "cringe" which to my knowledge was not used back in the 1960's..

That being said, congrats on the new purchase! If ever I had unlimited funds I'd pick up one of these!
I don't have unlimited funds at all, mechanics in our tiny town make way more than the owners of JGS Precision.
Watching too much youtube where its the title of many videos gun and non-gun related, the "Spicy" term being exclusive has sailed.

I have 325gn Plated bullets and a jug of IMR-4227 so I guess this load is it.
H110 seems the best performer tho.
I have a bunch of lil gum but can't find any #s with 325s.
They think 300gn XTPs are lead gold.

50AEloaddata.jpg

I don't have unlimited funds at all, mechanics in our tiny town make way more than the owners of JGS Precision.
Watching too much youtube where its the title of many videos gun and non-gun related, the "Spicy" term being exclusive has sailed.
You wouldn't be the JGS reamer folks who used to be out in Sumner, would you?

The spicy must flow.

Use the Speer bullets that everyone recommends. I tried 5 different bullets and the Speer bullets were the only ones that were 100% reliable for me and my L5 Desert Eagle in .50ae. Loads need to be near the upper end of the book loads, near the max charge. I use a Lee Collet Crimp die to keep the bullets from jarring out of their cases from the recoil. H110 / W296 is what worked best for me. I couldn't really tell much difference with Accurate #9 or IMR4227 powder and they cost more. When loaded down near the min load the DE wouldn't cycle completely and the powder wouldn't burn completely. I shot into the wind once with a lite load and I was covered with little dots from the powder finishing its burn on my clothes (with H110). H110 and Winchester 296 is said to be the same exact powder and I have always been able to interchange them without no differences in the load.

I bought my Desert Eagle L5 (5" barrel instead of 6") in 50 AE when I turned 50 which also happened to be the first year Kahr produced the L5 in 50ae. The trigger kind of sucked when brand new but really smoothed out after a few hundred rounds. Now the trigger is quite nice. Researching DE trigger jobs was a waste of time.

I picked up a 44 mag barrel for my L5 and can't really tell a whole lot of difference in the recoil between the 44 and the 50.

The first time I shot my brand new DE L5 I was prepared to be knocked on my a$$. Pfff.... the DE is a cream puff compared to a revolver. The direct impingement rotary bolt action in the DE really takes the sting out of the recoil. But it is considered proper to make a big deal about the 50ae recoil to scare the non initiated. The traditional 6" DE is something like a pound heavier than my L5, so it should be even more mellow. Don't worry though, you will still know you shot something big after pulling the trigger.

Keep your wrists taunt and have fun!

DanWasson and DesertEagle (1).jpg

Last Edited:
This is my current inherited hand cannon and why the DE interests me so. 9in (originally a 6in) barrel and custom trigger job done at the S&W custom shop. I'm very comfortable shooting it, maybe too comfortable. I have metric tons of 44mag supplies as well.
I also shoot lots of 50 beo and I even have my own wildcat based on the 50 krater.
Me and the 500 Smith just can't seem to aline to land one. The DE seems like a cool way to shoot 44mag.
My first pistol I picked out was a 1st gen Baby Eagle (cz clone) so now I finally have a nest. Still has one of sweetest triggers.

20230725_054723.jpg

Also picked up a set of Hornady 50AE dies, might be interesting. I have compatible seaters just no resizers. Should probably pickup some H110 as it's finally available.
Wish I could find some lilgun 325gn loads, seems like every hot load is near max case fill.

I used to know a couple guys there, not well though, and that was a long time ago; I even went out there looking for a job once. :)

A friend of mine has a custom rifle that is legendary in the family, that was put together by a gunsmith in Sumner a very long time ago.

Good gun, lots of fun to shoot- 1/2 dozen times or so 😀. Fun to watch people at the range gather round when you break it out. Fun to let others shoot and see the look on their faces. I did make a lanyard that clips on the trigger guard and attached to their wrist - saved it from getting dropped a couple times. I also only load 1 round in it for new shooters.
And don't limp wrist it or you'll end up with blood running down your face - don't ask how I know that 🤪.

I've found H110 to be the best powder for me. I can shoot about anything - 300 or 325 gr XTP, cast, etc. in it with no feed issues as long as I stay near the top end of the load. As mentioned above, a slight crimp helps keep the bullets seated.

If you start getting FTE, it's the stupid polymer pad they use on the ejector (they don't use a real spring). Cleaner has a tendency to degrade it over time. Took mine about 15 years to disintegrate.

I bought 500 brass from starling about 20 years ago, only gone through about 200 of them. Just keep reloading used ones. Haven't had any split or separated cases yet (I look real close, it's an awful lot of powder going off in your hand) - just loose a few now and then.

I used to know a couple guys there, not well though, and that was a long time ago; I even went out there looking for a job once. :)

A friend of mine has a custom rifle that is legendary in the family, that was put together by a gunsmith in Sumner a very long time ago.
JGS stands for Jim's Gun Shop so I'm pretty sure your talking about the same people/place. Jim was my grandfather and a well known (on the southcoast) rifle builder.

Pretty cool! Yes, your grandfather is still a legend in some circles. My friend has a custom Mauser in 25-06 that he made, a precision rifle that has taken a LOT of game over the decades. Everyone in the family covets that old rifle. The stories I've heard is that your grandfather was well liked and highly regarded.

By the way, I have a handful of .50AE brass that I picked up somewhere over the years, that I'd give you if I'm down that way sometime. It's not enough to sell or anything; I figured I'd give them to someone who could use them, if you want them. I think there's a few bullets too.

Last Edited:
Pretty cool! Yes, your grandfather is still a legend in some circles. My friend has a custom Mauser in 25-06 that he made, a precision rifle that has taken a LOT of game over the decades. Everyone in the family covets that old rifle. The stories I've heard is that your grandfather was well liked and highly regarded.

By the way, I have a handful of .50AE brass that I picked up somewhere over the years, that I'd give you if I'm down that way sometime. It's not enough to sell or anything; I figured I'd give them to someone who could use them, if you want them. I think there's a few bullets too.
IDK if they did anything besides Mauser 98s lol. I guess I got a Weatherby (1/4 turn lefty in 300WBYMAG) and a Sako for my 22-250.
But the rest are various Mausers. I'm refitting some of the old guns to newer calibers to expand my barrel making knowledge (don't trust a skinny chef).
But all the original stocks and barrels are being preserved. Always need brass and bullets! Well that is till you have many thousands of said things.
We are always open for nickel tours as well.

This is my current inherited hand cannon and why the DE interests me so. 9in (originally a 6in) barrel and custom trigger job done at the S&W custom shop. I'm very comfortable shooting it, maybe too comfortable. I have metric tons of 44mag supplies as well.
I also shoot lots of 50 beo and I even have my own wildcat based on the 50 krater.
Me and the 500 Smith just can't seem to aline to land one. The DE seems like a cool way to shoot 44mag.
My first pistol I picked out was a 1st gen Baby Eagle (cz clone) so now I finally have a nest. Still has one of sweetest triggers.

View attachment 1459152
Go ahead. Make My Day. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews