JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With the lee collet neck die I disregard instructions and let my press cam over. I adjust die down until I get neck od dimension .002" under loaded round neck od. I get repeatable results:
Thanks -- learned a new method as I hadn't tried that yet. :s0155:
This discussion highlights the fact that setting the press up properly is crucial, and often overlooked.
For example, in my testing of 10mm ammo, I did all my loadings on my Co-Ax. Now that have my exact load figured out, I transferred the process over the the Dillon. It took me over two hours and about twenty trashed cases to dial every station in perfectly : sizer, bullet flare and powder feed, bullet feeder and seating/crimp. Locking Redding rings down on a Dillon 650 tool head is a PITA.

That Prazipress is sexy.
Very expensive, and rigid too. There's been a lot of debate on other forums on which is better, solid rigidity or a floating press. There are those who are complete fans of the Turban Prazipress or the Area 419 Zero. Mind you, I've never tried my hand at benchrest, F-class or PRS.
I used to shoot with a former co-worker in PA who loads on a Lee Challenger (my definition of junk) and he can out-shoot me any day.

Last Edited:
So the 300 is g2g.
If you were up here in PDX, I'd say come on over and try 300 PRC on my Co-Ax.
The simplest caution being, the large jaws don't naturally spread all the way to just drop a PRC case in. There is adjustment in the ram spreader pin from the bottom where you can spread the jaws wider, but it's still not all the way open as you would need it to be.
As far as whether you'll need to tip the case out after seating, I'll check in a few minutes.
I'll head out, take some pictures of it and you can see for yourself.

Edit to add: dunno if you'd want to try 300 PRC on an XL. I'd place a call to Forster. The Cheytac is based on the 500 Gibbs, which has a base diameter of .637. I think the 50BMG base is something like .8" -- the cartridge OALs are in the range of 4.5 to 6".
One thing nice about a short throw press is the movement of the handle. The Co-Ax has the the shortest throw of any press I know, but you're reaching above the press to use it. If you have shoulder arthritis, no bueno. The Lee Classic and RCII are long pulls. The RC Jr. is a shorter pull, between the RCII and Co-Ax.

Last Edited:
Photo examples from left to right:
  1. Cartridge comparison
  2. How a 308 case fits in the Co-Ax so easily
  3. The 300PRC doesn't fit nicely. Notice it's riding on top of the jaws
  4. Setting up dies is just like any other press. The Co-Ax does NOT cam-over
  5. Seating a 200gr bullet in the 300 PRC case, note the bullet is above the bottom of the seater die
  6. Here is a 300 RUM/338 Edge case in the CoAx for comparision. I didn't bother showing it with a bullet

CARTRIDGES.png 7-08_Seated.jpg 300PRC_Doesnt_Fit.jpg Setting up Die.jpg Seating200gr_in_300PRC.jpg 338Edge_300RUM_inTheCoax.jpg

Last Edited:
Photo examples from left to right:
Setting up dies is just like any other press. The Co-Ax does NOT cam-over.

Cartridge comparison:

How a 308 case fits in the Co-Ax so easily:

The 300PRC doesn't fit nicely. Notice it's riding on top of the jaws:

Seating a 200gr bullet in the 300 PRC case, note the bullet is above the bottom of the seater die.

Here is a 300 RUM/338 Edge case in the CoAx for comparision. I didn't bother showing it with a bullet.

View attachment 1788069 View attachment 1788070 View attachment 1788073 View attachment 1788075 View attachment 1788079 View attachment 1788082
Thanks for the pictures! I'll give them a call to see if the XL is what I need.

Here's an excerpt from their manual on different jaws to accommodate the larger cartridges:

View attachment 1788136
Yeah, I recall the two ended jaws that ship with the press cover most calibers. I use the optional set which are extra small and extra large for 22 Hornet, 45/70, and 30-30 based cases IIRC.

See case comparability chart link on the page below.

So I'm thinking a CPS primer seater and Redding S or Competition. I've been reading that some use a combination of the S and competition, any thoughts?

The CPS is awesome, I love mine.
Read up on which bushing(s) to buy for your type S. For my bushing dies, I have two or three bushings for each, but can't remember changing out a single bushing in the last five years.
Some folks use the bush die with no expander ball.
Others follow up with an expander mandrel.
Of course, the whole subject is another set of side tunnels in the rabbit hole.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top