JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Scaling things down a bit, selling a few things and looking to build a long range upper.

Thinking 500-800 yards but would want to ring steel at 1000 if needed.

Been looking at the 6.5 Grendel... Seems to fit what I'm looking for...

But! Maybe I'm overlooking something?

I will be primarily hand loading, so price and availability of loaded rounds isn't important.

Really my only criteria is good performance out to 800m or so AND that it be compatible with a standard 5.56 lower.
Bolt & Barrel basically.

Ive got a buddy who is hitting 1000 with the .224.

I read that the Grendel would still easily hit 1000 and have 40% more energy than the Valkyrie... Not that Id ever shoot anything other than a steel plate at that distance... but Id like to know that if I had to shoot anything else that far, I could.

Are there any considerations for reloading?

Ive got a buddy who is hitting 1000 with the .224.

I read that the Grendel would still easily hit 1000 and have 40% more energy than the Valkyrie... Not that Id ever shoot anything other than a steel plate at that distance... but Id like to know that if I had to shoot anything else that far, I could.

Are there any considerations for reloading?
There are wildcats as far as reloading goes.

For factory, I'd go .224 Valk or 6.5 Grendel.

.224 valkyrie is a great choice, I just did a build with an x caliber barrel and am loving it. Great performance, relatively cheap factory ammo and brass, supersonic to 1200+ yards, and 90 gr matchkings at mag length, what's not to love?

You might consider a 6mm AR in a std AR15 platform. 6mm with its high BC 100+ grain bullets are very common with the 600 yd shooters.
Unfortunately I am not aware of any commercial 6mm AR but there are several wildcats out there like the 6x6.8, WOA,Turbo and others. Most are based off the 6.8 SPC case. Handloading is fairly simple.
Sorry just realized you want to use a std bolt...these 6mm's use a larger bolt face.

Another thought. Black Hole Weaponry makes barrels chambered in 243 LBC. Which is just a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. You could build or buy an upper...use your existing lower.

224 val has yet to be produced with the proper spin rate to stabilize the longer heaviest bullets they said will work in all these guns. Most are just reusing 1/7 twist barrels already available for 223/556 and chambering them in 224 Val. I think someone should make a 1/6 twist some day.

6.5 Grendel has been picked up by Eastern Europeans (since it's based off 7.62x39) and can be purchased on the cheap with steel cased ammo. As well as becoming more readily available. It's been proven to do good things.

6.8 is possibly going to be picked up by the US military, so it could become a good choice as surplus ammo could become a thing for this round.

Thinking 500-800 yards but would want to ring steel at 1000 if needed.

Truly I'd stick with 223/556. It can do these distances just fine and can reach to 1000. I routinely hit at 400-600 with a 16" bolt gun (Ruger American Ranch) and I have little trouble doing so. With good ammo or handloads 223/556 is still in the competition in my eyes. Don't let marketing for the next greatest thing tell you it's still not a good cartridge.

224 val has yet to be produced with the proper spin rate to stabilize the longer heaviest bullets they said will work in all these guns. Most are just reusing 1/7 twist barrels already available for 223/556 and chambering them in 224 Val. I think someone should make a 1/6 twist some day.

My X caliber barrel is a 1:6.5 and it has no trouble stabilizing the 90 gr matchkings, only shot it to 200 yards so far but if they were unstable it should show by then.

My X caliber barrel is a 1:6.5 and it has no trouble stabilizing the 90 gr matchkings, only shot it to 200 yards so far but if they were unstable it should show by then.
That's a step in the right direction, wasn't aware anyone making anything faster than the 1/7.

Great post, question and answers everybody and thank you. Also downsizing. Old age. Want to do that last ride and build that final, (?) AR15 rifle. Left Hand 6.5 Grendel 20" HB with a standard rifle A2 Stock. A somewhat precision long range scoped rifle.

A M16A2 RIFLE semi auto replica only in LH in 6.5 Grendel with that removable top handle assembly. A2 flash hider. A2 pistol grip.

I was told the 6.5 needs a particular Type 1 bolt head. What I may do is buy two, (2) precision LH 6.5 Grendel bolts and rotate them out every 500 rounds or so. Head space gages necessary. Slightly worried about bolt head strength and service life. :)

Great post, question and answers everybody and thank you. Also downsizing. Old age. Want to do that last ride and build that final, (?) AR15 rifle. Left Hand 6.5 Grendel 20" HB with a standard rifle A2 Stock. A somewhat precision long range scoped rifle.

A M16A2 RIFLE semi auto replica only in LH in 6.5 Grendel with that removable top handle assembly. A2 flash hider. A2 pistol grip.

I was told the 6.5 needs a particular Type 1 bolt head. What I may do is buy two, (2) precision LH 6.5 Grendel bolts and rotate them out every 500 rounds or so. Head space gages necessary. Slightly worried about bolt head strength and service life. :)
If worried about the AR bolt, why not get an AK based 6.5?

Good question Reno911. Considering the overall cost projection of this final build, (SPENDY!) buying two, (2) bolts is just a small part of the total cost endeavor. But ... remember ... all of this is much fun! :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top