JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always felt the willingness to trust .22 "because you can put a lot of holes into a target very quick" was silly. You can do the same thing with 9mm, penetrating further and putting larger holes in a body too. Personally, I want a woman to be able to stop a threat before they can get hands on, when physical limitations become a real factor.
100%. If your attacker is a rabbit, .22 will be just fine. Anything else, I want to see at least the stopping power of a .380. My lady carries a compact .357 revolver and damn she's good with it. My EDC is a G43 w the extended magazine. My Portland gun is a .357 backup.

Women are less intimidating to bad guys anyway, and more likely to be suspected of being unwilling to actually pull the trigger.
OMG... they've never met my wife!!! She'd kill em for waking her up!!! And don't run from her, they'll just die tired.

Mine says she'll eventually carry that plastic .380 LCP her dad owned.

Its tiny and I suppose she MIGHT get a shot off (she cringes and usually drops the dang thing) when firing.....
My wife's Taurus mouse gun is very painful to shoot, has LOTS of muzzle flip, and since it only has enough grip for two fingers is VERY hard for even ME to hang onto. (And is a jammomatic)

GET HER TO SHOOT A REAL GUN. (Or even a .22 if that is what makes her comfortable enough to actually practice and enjoy shooting. Can move up in size later. Any gun is better than NO gun. And a cringy woman shooting a mouse gun is the handgun equivalent to standing her on a stump with either a .500S&W or a 12ga with mag loads!!!)

Last Edited:
Women need to choose their own guns. Wives are women. Their brains do not shut off when they marry. Nor do their physical characteristics suddenly change to resemble those of some other wife. If you are a male and are presuming to choose a gun for your wife, imagine saying this to her, which is actually what you would be doing: "Honey, I consider all adult males on the planet smart enough to choose their own guns and individual enough to need to. But since I consider you more stupid than every single male on the planet as well as just a generic female, interchangeable with all other human females, I'll choose your guns for you based on what some other man tells me worked for his wife" How well would that go down?

A wimpy caliber does not become more effective in SD just because a woman shoots it. Too often men steer women toward .22 or .380 when most women can handle 9 mm or .38sp in appropriate guns just fine. A serious SD gun is capable of making seriously big holes in bad guys. A lesser caliber may need to be chosen as a compromise with skill level or carry needs. But at least 9mm or .38sp or better should always be the preference if possible, whatever the gender of the shooter. On the other hand, a .22 is orders of magnitude better than no gun.

If a woman has very tiny or weak hands (or arthritis) and can't jack the slide in most semi autos it might be useful to hear about the choices of women with similar problems. But most women can jack the slides on pistols just fine. Yet a whole lot of men give advice for women assuming that every woman on the planet has small or weak hands and trouble jacking slides.

I think cutesy guns that look like toys like that bright blue Glock back on page one are a good way for a woman to get herself killed or greatly handicap herself in a SD crisis. The cutesy gun is less intimidating in a crisis. Women are less intimidating to bad guys anyway, and more likely to be suspected of being unwilling to actually pull the trigger. If the bad guy you're pointing a gun at thinks you won't shoot, he's much more likely to try to take the gun away from you instead of running. Meaning because of the cutesy gun, the woman is more likely to have to shoot the bad guy to stop him. A far more dangerous situation than if he runs away. The guns that are the most intimidating are bigger, black, blue, or stainless steel, and they have large rather than smaller bores. Interestingly even full size target .22s have some intimidation ability, just from size and the fact they look like serious guns, not toys.

I think having a .22 mimic version of a bigger caliber SD gun is not worth the time or money. Recoil is too large a part of shooting a larger caliber gun. And a .22 on a frame for a bigger bore gun is an inferior .22 that weighs much more than needed. I do think having a dedicated .22 target pistol designed to be just what it is is useful.
OB, you hit it out of the park.......again.

We had a guy come on here wanting to do an AR build with his young son.
Then he wanted to paint it in some cartoon colors.
We tried to talk him out of the silly paint scheme but I think he went ahead and did it anyway.

People do what they will do, but painting an AR to look like a toy seemed to be a "thinking error" on the part of the father.

OB, you hit it out of the park.......again.

We had a guy come on here wanting to do an AR build with his young son.
Then he wanted to paint it in some cartoon colors.
We tried to talk him out of the silly paint scheme but I think he went ahead and did it anyway.

People do what they will do, but painting an AR to look like a toy seemed to be a "thinking error" on the part of the father.
On the other hand, I asked my 44yr old daughter what she wanted for her AR furniture, she said "purple". I see no harm in giving her her preference. SHE shoots it, not me. And if she has to take it into battle, I doubt the evil tyrannical jackbooted thugs are going to care what color gun she shoots them with...

100%. If your attacker is a rabbit, .22 will be just fine.
You sir have obviously not seen the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! It has fangs a mile wide!!! :D
Don't shoot intruders with a .25 Jennings.... they might find out and get pizzed off!!!
My uncle was working as a deputy at the courts. An inmate smuggled a Sterling 25 into court. He tried to shoot my uncle in the head. Uncle put his hand up in front of him and the bullet stopped near his thumb. Yes, uncle was pizzed off. Funny part was after all the trial stuff the judge gave the gun to my uncle. Another time definitely.

My uncle was working as a deputy at the courts. An inmate smuggled a Sterling 25 into court. He tried to shoot my uncle in the head. Uncle put his hand up in front of him and the bullet stopped near his thumb. Yes, uncle was pizzed off. Funny part was after all the trial stuff the judge gave the gun to my uncle. Another time definitely.
That would have made one of the YT vid reels today!!!

100%. If your attacker is a rabbit, .22 will be just fine. Anything else, I want to see at least the stopping power of a .380. My lady carries a compact .357 revolver and damn she's good with it. My EDC is a G43 w the extended magazine. My Portland gun is a .357 backup.
My Portland gun is a Glock 34 with an RMR, X300 and 20 round mags, more bullets for me please.

Fixed it for you.
We should be very clear on this...

My dad was a know-it-all and a notorious mansplainer (having only one use for the female gender). We moved him here with us after his botched suicide attempt, and after 1.5 months of living with him every day my wife said either he goes or she does. I'm surprised she lasted that long.

My dad was a know-it-all and a notorious mansplainer (having only one use for the female gender). We moved him here with us after his botched suicide attempt, and after 1.5 months of living with him every day my wife said either he goes or she does. I'm surprised she lasted that long.
My dad too. He didn't really like women and thought they were stupid, so he tried to pull that crap on my wife who happens to be quite intelligent. I had to shut him down fast which opened a whole new can of worms.

Almost very girl I've known that carried usually had a revolver or micro subcompact because "that's what my dad/uncle/boyfriend/gunshop" said to carry, at least until they shot my full size carry guns. Honestly, it's tiring that the 2A community at large isn't encouraging women to carry real defensive handguns and not garbage that companies pump out that is "designed for women". It's sad, and honestly sexist. I'd encourage any woman to check out a full size or slightly smaller carried on their hip from a good holster and belt, because that is the standard that men and women who are serious about defensive firearms use. Glock 19/48 is a fantastic option for women under 5'10". A close friend of mine recently moved up to a Glock 17 from a G-Code holster that she enjoys a lot, my girlfriend moved up to a HK VP9 with a RMR as well and has had zero issues concealing it. It's easier for those two because they are dead on 6'0", so obviously they have a size advantage. That said, a girl I dated a few years back had a chopped grip Glock 34 because her dad being Army SOF for 2 decades said "it'd be a shame to accept an equipment disadvantage solely because you are a woman", and that is something I cannot disagree with.

TL;DR: Get a quality handgun, not some purple or pink garbage the fudd at a shop or trashy female 2A "influencer" is trying to hock.
The most effective self-defense handgun is one the user is comfortable with. I don't much care for the bright colors, either, but if it's what the carrier likes then so be it. It's better than no gun, or a gun she won't carry b/c she doesn't like it.

My dad too. He didn't really like women and thought they were stupid, so he tried to pull that crap on my wife who happens to be quite intelligent. I had to shut him down fast which opened a whole new can of worms.
What was the name of that movie... "Shallow Hal". Yep. Dad was not only a creature from a diff time period, but he was sex abused by his older sister and her teenage girlfriends when he was near puberty... which did not improve his outlook on women. He even kept telling my older brother, when we were older, that the brother needed to find a wife with looks or money cuz that's all they were good for.

One of the times I had to straighten dad out (we used to argue a lot til I realized nothing would be accomplished) after he got here was because of his excess use of the F'bomb. He was smart enough not to use it around my wife, but for some reason when around me he musta thought it was normal "guy talk"... I told him I don't mind the occasional appropriate use, but that dropping it in every sentence or every 3 words was distracting and didn't add anything intelligent to conversation. It be like saying "butter" in a sentence about voting rights... has no meaning in that context.

Once he corrected my wife's saying "Um-a-til-a" (Umatilla), insisting that it's "Um-a-tea-a" like it would be in S Calif. She very patiently explained to him that he was in a diff kind of indian country now. Sheesh.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top