JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are good pistols, the 938 on top left is my carry gun
Op might check out a sig p229 40sw, (middle)sweetest shooting pistol I have. My girlfriend handles it quite well

IMG_2932.jpg

Let her pick out whatever she wants. My wife went thru a few guns that I bought for her and then she bought herself a Bursa Thunder in 380. Her reason for buying it was that it looked like James Bonds gun. That never was a reason I bought a gun for her so I was doing it wrong. More recently we were shooting my Airweight and she really liked it so bought herself a Lady-smith. Lastly I bought a Browning 1911-380 and she told me she really liked it and to sell the Bersa. She carrys the Smith but shoots the Browning, her Henry .22 lever gun and S&W .22 Victory. Just remember the correct number of guns is just one more, her included.

I forgot about those Browning black labels.
Nice little guns

Lots of great advice above!

Here are a few thoughts - This is a big step up for most, men or women, and will require her to personally invest in it. Carrying is a kind of lifestyle that takes regular thought and practice. My mother in law "carried" a tiny revolver for five decades in a purse but she never really gave it a thought and never practiced in the 4.5 decades I've known her.

That said, my own girls really like the Glock 43s because of the size and simplicity, and those fit their hands better then all the revolvers tried. But, my wife and girls are very tall and they were jockettes in school so the G43 is very manageable for them.

In my opinion, little revolvers take a level of control and commitment that most are not willing to give. An autoloader on the other hand like a G42 or 43, or P938 with a safety too, tend to be easier to run the manual of arms and to shoot well, for most.

A Glock19 is even easier to run the gun unless she has tiny hands, but the G19 does not conceal nearly as well as the 42/43/P938's.

Good luck ;)

Last Edited:
Dear wife started out with an S&W Shield EZ in 9mm Now she is interested in the Glock 43X MOS
She likes the red dot for its ease in sighting in but loves the ease in loading and charging the EZ She shoots pretty well with either.

Trying to find something for my wife ATM that is comfortable for her to shoot/carry. Not an easy task AT ALL!!! I have a Sig mosquito that is the only handgun she is comfortable shooting, she has tried the G43, Shield, Ruger LCR38, sig micro in 9mm and numerous other options in 9mm and .380, nothing else she had tried fits her hand and feels good to her.
She has a smaller frame and small hands so that doesn't help. I have a Sig Covert in .22LR on order and am hoping that will be small enough to carry and comfortable for her to hold/shoot.

Whatever she is willing to commit to carrying and not leaving at home or in the car.

Didn't read the thread, but most of the time we mention letting the wife try some handguns and then picking the one that she likes, will enhance the possibility that she will actually carry it. You may find that choices change as time goes by and she refines what she likes or doesn't, or just wishes to have diff options.... nothing wrong with having more than one handgun if willing to stay in practice with each. IMO

Best way to help your woman get a gun is to do nothing. If they aren't willing to put in the effort to go through the research, rentals and the shopping to get what they want, they aren't invested in the desire to carry. If they aren't invested in the desire to carry, it isn't going to happen.

Best way to help your woman get a gun is to do nothing. If they aren't willing to put in the effort to go through the research, rentals and the shopping to get what they want, they aren't invested in the desire to carry. If they aren't invested in the desire to carry, it isn't going to happen.
I definitely get where you are coming from on this but I don't believe it is gender specific. I do think (some) women start at a disadvantage in that they get bad advice early and often. We (wife and I) work with many women and most are willing to do the research. I find more women than men go to ranges to rent guns to see what they like. But they still suffer from bad husband, boyfriend, gun counter men and other men in their lives advice too often.

If someone of any gender tells me they just want a gun to carry, with the minimal amount of effort for a CHL class and they won't be shooting it to practice, "just in case" they need it...I smile and walk away. So if feel you here.

I definitely get where you are coming from on this but I don't believe it is gender specific. I do think (some) women start at a disadvantage in that they get bad advice early and often. We (wife and I) work with many women and most are willing to do the research. I find more women than men go to ranges to rent guns to see what they like. But they still suffer from bad husband, boyfriend, gun counter men and other men in their lives advice too often.

If someone of any gender tells me they just want a gun to carry, with the minimal amount of effort for a CHL class and they won't be shooting it to practice, "just in case" they need it...I smile and walk away. So if feel you here.
Not gender specific, but he did inquire about his woman.

Almost very girl I've known that carried usually had a revolver or micro subcompact because "that's what my dad/uncle/boyfriend/gunshop" said to carry, at least until they shot my full size carry guns. Honestly, it's tiring that the 2A community at large isn't encouraging women to carry real defensive handguns and not garbage that companies pump out that is "designed for women". It's sad, and honestly sexist. I'd encourage any woman to check out a full size or slightly smaller carried on their hip from a good holster and belt, because that is the standard that men and women who are serious about defensive firearms use. Glock 19/48 is a fantastic option for women under 5'10". A close friend of mine recently moved up to a Glock 17 from a G-Code holster that she enjoys a lot, my girlfriend moved up to a HK VP9 with a RMR as well and has had zero issues concealing it. It's easier for those two because they are dead on 6'0", so obviously they have a size advantage. That said, a girl I dated a few years back had a chopped grip Glock 34 because her dad being Army SOF for 2 decades said "it'd be a shame to accept an equipment disadvantage solely because you are a woman", and that is something I cannot disagree with.

TL;DR: Get a quality handgun, not some purple or pink garbage the fudd at a shop or trashy female 2A "influencer" is trying to hock.
I completely disagree. It's not sexist. Women in general wear more tight fit clothing. Some men wear tight fit clothes and I'm sure they have the same issue. I can't picture my wife wearing baggier clothing just so she can put a full sized gun in her pants that she typically doesn't wear a belt with. I on the other hand, and im sure many of you are fine tailoring our clothing just so we can have a 1911 or G19 with an extra mag, knife, pepper spray, medical kit on the ankle and so on. Women have a choice in what gun they get. I'm pretty sure they can use google and read forums and so on enough to get a general idea of what they want. If they get something deemed "not serious", it's because they don't care, not because they're being discriminated against.

There is no best or universal. Far too many variables for that.

The best thing you can do IMO, is spend a few afternoons at a range with a good rental counter. Let her try revolvers and pistols in varying models and sizes. I'd keep the calibers to 9mm and .38., given her experience level and that you're looking for a defensive weapon.

You'll sort out more in a couple afternoons than anything any of us can tell you. For example, it doesn't matter if we recommend a great gun if it doesn't fit her hand and she can't adequately reach the controls.

It will also be fun!

Her first goal should be to try to lock into a platform...revolver, SA/DA, striker, etc. Once that is done, you can begin looking at the options in that platform.

And if she's going to go with something small like, say, a Shield sized weapon, make absolutely sure you rent the exact model she thinks she wants. Many small guns can be downright unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. So make sure she tries it first.

Good luck! :)

Women need to choose their own guns. Wives are women. Their brains do not shut off when they marry. Nor do their physical characteristics suddenly change to resemble those of some other wife. If you are a male and are presuming to choose a gun for your wife, imagine saying this to her, which is actually what you would be doing: "Honey, I consider all adult males on the planet smart enough to choose their own guns and individual enough to need to. But since I consider you more stupid than every single male on the planet as well as just a generic female, interchangeable with all other human females, I'll choose your guns for you based on what some other man tells me worked for his wife" How well would that go down?

A wimpy caliber does not become more effective in SD just because a woman shoots it. Too often men steer women toward .22 or .380 when most women can handle 9 mm or .38sp in appropriate guns just fine. A serious SD gun is capable of making seriously big holes in bad guys. A lesser caliber may need to be chosen as a compromise with skill level or carry needs. But at least 9mm or .38sp or better should always be the preference if possible, whatever the gender of the shooter. On the other hand, a .22 is orders of magnitude better than no gun.

If a woman has very tiny or weak hands (or arthritis) and can't jack the slide in most semi autos it might be useful to hear about the choices of women with similar problems. But most women can jack the slides on pistols just fine. Yet a whole lot of men give advice for women assuming that every woman on the planet has small or weak hands and trouble jacking slides.

I think cutesy guns that look like toys like that bright blue Glock back on page one are a good way for a woman to get herself killed or greatly handicap herself in a SD crisis. The cutesy gun is less intimidating in a crisis. Women are less intimidating to bad guys anyway, and more likely to be suspected of being unwilling to actually pull the trigger. If the bad guy you're pointing a gun at thinks you won't shoot, he's much more likely to try to take the gun away from you instead of running. Meaning because of the cutesy gun, the woman is more likely to have to shoot the bad guy to stop him. A far more dangerous situation than if he runs away. The guns that are the most intimidating are bigger, black, blue, or stainless steel, and they have large rather than smaller bores. Interestingly even full size target .22s have some intimidation ability, just from size and the fact they look like serious guns, not toys.

I think having a .22 mimic version of a bigger caliber SD gun is not worth the time or money. Recoil is too large a part of shooting a larger caliber gun. And a .22 on a frame for a bigger bore gun is an inferior .22 that weighs much more than needed. I do think having a dedicated .22 target pistol designed to be just what it is is useful.

Mine says she'll eventually carry that plastic .380 LCP her dad owned.

Its tiny and I suppose she MIGHT get a shot off (she cringes and usually drops the dang thing) when firing.....

KelTek P17 holds 17 22lr, shoots most anything, somes with 3 mags for $199, I just bought 5 & they charged no tax & $30 total shipping + my dealer gets $10 a pc.

Looking for a concealed carry for my wife. Wondering what the favorite is out there for ease of use, accuracy, etc. what's the general concensus for a woman who has typically only shot .22 in the past and more protection/security minded vs blowing a big hole in a bad guy.
My Wife and both daughters carry a Glock 43. They all enjoy shooting it, and are not intimidated by 9mm. They don't carry or like to shoot anything else.

Let her pick out whatever she wants. My wife went thru a few guns that I bought for her and then she bought herself a Bursa Thunder in 380. Her reason for buying it was that it looked like James Bonds gun. That never was a reason I bought a gun for her so I was doing it wrong. More recently we were shooting my Airweight and she really liked it so bought herself a Lady-smith. Lastly I bought a Browning 1911-380 and she told me she really liked it and to sell the Bersa. She carrys the Smith but shoots the Browning, her Henry .22 lever gun and S&W .22 Victory. Just remember the correct number of guns is just one more, her included.
You should have explained to her that Bond carries a PPK. Women love having things explained to them by men. 😁

I love my P17 - freakishly accurate. But I would never bet my life on a .22
Always felt the willingness to trust .22 "because you can put a lot of holes into a target very quick" was silly. You can do the same thing with 9mm, penetrating further and putting larger holes in a body too. Personally, I want a woman to be able to stop a threat before they can get hands on, when physical limitations become a real factor.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews