JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She takes whatever she likes. Colt Detective Special ... Six For Sure. Pachmayers. She likes a Model 14 and a couple of 22 target guns. She has ready access to Browning Hi Power, S&W 9's, Agent, Colt, 1911's Blackpowder, Derringers, 32's, 380's, 357's, 22's, 25's, 38's, 44spl, snubbies, service and Olympic target guns all up and down the power ladder. For carry she likes the Dick Special and shoots it very well. Likes the 1911 too. It's an easy gun to shoot. In long arms, she is partial to our benchrest and rat guns and the old A-5 Light Twelve and a Double-Auto. I just keep pulling the loader handles and making sure we never run low on ammo. That's my job. We're a team; I'm the body, she's the mind. She shoots better than me on a regular basis, and prefers shooting the accurate small caliber stuff for practice. She does not like the intense magnum stuff or muzzle brakes and I know better than to offer them up. I hate 'em too.
Sometimes I've brought home a nice accurate gun, watched her drill the 10-ring all to pieces and thought "Danm! There goes another one!"

Last Edited:
If she does decide on a semi-auto, make sure that her grip is strong enough to rack the slide.

Wife likes the Shield(9mm) and shoots it well, but the slide can be a little stiff for her.

That's what I've read about .22 or for SD too. But I shot many thousands of rounds through my Ruger Mark II and it never failed to fire or jammed even once. Supposedly the primer can be spread unevenly around the rim creating an inherent unreliability. But I wonder whether this applies to just certain brands of ammo or a different era rather than modern .22 ammo.

There are probably people on this forum who have fired hundreds of thousands of .22 rounds of specific modern brands of ammo through specific guns who have some useful insights.

???
I've fired a few thousand of various brands and never noted a brand deficiency, tho I tend to like certain brands for accuracy and power better than others. The only jamming that I've had was when I took my brand new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to the range for the first time and forgot to clean it first. (I rarely buy a brand new gun, so it's easy to forget to get the factory gunk out.)

Yes, I also wonder if members have noted certain brands FTF more than others??? (But then, I haven't finished reading the thread.)

It starts with our mothers, then is reinforced by virtually everyone in families and the rest of life including school teachers, by every conversation or novel that uses the accusation of being a woman as an insult. My mother tried to teach me to pretend to be stupid, to let men do all the talking, etc. I remember plenty of such conversations when I was only in the second grade. Males supposedly had fragile egos that had to be constantly built up by mothers, sisters, wives, and all females always deferring, always treating males of all ages as more important than themselves. My mother spent pretty much every hour after my dad came home from work that she was not fixing dinner listening to my dad talk about himself and his day. Not once did I hear her spending even one minute talking to Dad about herself or her day. Basically, both my parents viewed only males as real human beings who could/should accomplish things in the world. Women were just the support system for and means of reproducing real human beings. For America, my family was extreme even for my era. I didn't buy into my family's world view. If anything it made me more determined to accomplish things myself.
If we can be allowed some more off topic for a bit...

You are describing my Mom and Dad perfectly. Huh, I thought it was just them. But my Mom was independent and rebelious (sp) and it drove Dad nuts. LOL. Mom is 95, and if I look back I do think it was somewhat generational. I can remember things changing in the 60s.

What's happening with women under 35 I don't really know. I operate in a context where I'm the author of books that most of the young people I interact with have read or at least heard about, so I have high status in my small bubble and get treated very respectfully . From what I see on YouTube, though, there is a whole lot of contempt and hatred being expressed toward males these days. Its undoubtedly not any more enjoyable for men to be on the receiving end of that than it is/was for women.
Well, I've had women yell at me for opening the door for them, an act I would have done for ANYBODY of any gender. At work it got so bad that I didn't even want to talk to female co-workers, but then got in trouble for that too. Oy vey.

Today's generation of women are guys with diff plumbing to me. Not all. If I say there is no longer any classes or parental training on how to be a "lady", am I misogynistic?

Today's generation of males = some jerks, some beta males, some whatever. Maybe comes from being trod on by generations of women.

Are women still training their male babies to be less male? Is that still considered to be the cure for this world? Or is the problem only whiteness now? (I guess we better not go off into the weeds on that one!)

Buy her a class not a gun. Only she will know what she wants/needs. A class will show her how to use one and several different types. Then she can make an informed decision that fits her.
Did exactly this; sent my wife and stepdaughter to the "Ladies introduction..." class at Safe Fire. Followed up with range time and brought (and rented) different guns to try. My stepdaughter ended up with a S&W EZ9mm and my wife has a G43x...with S15 mags and latch. Both made their own choices...very happy with their progress.

Massaged Model 19 Smith Combat 2&1/2. .38+p's. She's a retired officer and she'd drop you, all 6 in the black in DA, from 25feet in.
Imagine what she could do with a modern pistol and a little practice.

Though it is kind of hard to learn a new gun when you've been utilizing one system most of your shooting life. I ran a P.08 in a pistol comp once...made me thankful for my G34.

Imagine what she could do with a modern pistol and a little practice.

Though it is kind of hard to learn a new gun when you've been utilizing one system most of your shooting life. I ran a P.08 in a pistol comp once...made me thankful for my G34.
she's equally as good with a G19. She prefers the S&W though. She's Pro-Choice that way!

Some people actually like shooting revolvers and may well have more than a little practice with "a modern pistol".
Oh no doubt! I enjoy shooting shooting the brakes off my military surplus rifles, but I shoot thousands of rounds a year through AR platform rifles, not to mention military service weapons. My comment was more directed that if you can shoot a revolver well, especially from concealment, imagine how well a person can do with a modern handgun.

If we can be allowed some more off topic for a bit...

You are describing my Mom and Dad perfectly. Huh, I thought it was just them. But my Mom was independent and rebelious (sp) and it drove Dad nuts. LOL. Mom is 95, and if I look back I do think it was somewhat generational. I can remember things changing in the 60s.

Well, I've had women yell at me for opening the door for them, an act I would have done for ANYBODY of any gender. At work it got so bad that I didn't even want to talk to female co-workers, but then got in trouble for that too. Oy vey.

Today's generation of women are guys with diff plumbing to me. Not all. If I say there is no longer any classes or parental training on how to be a "lady", am I misogynistic?

Today's generation of males = some jerks, some beta males, some whatever. Maybe comes from being trod on by generations of women.

Are women still training their male babies to be less male? Is that still considered to be the cure for this world? Or is the problem only whiteness now? (I guess we better not go off into the weeds on that one!)
Door opening. I've tended to open doors for the group when first through, and for anyone carrying packages, elderly, with canes or kids, or if I'm the first but they are so close the door would slam in their face otherwise. And I'm happy to have doors opened for me too, and express my thanks graciously. Its an act of good will to open the door for someone as well as as to accept graciously. I'm also okay with men who always want to open doors for women. This can be a deeply symbolic act, especially when its a courting couple or mates.

Right after I took a job in the Genetics faculty at U of Mn as the first woman there, I ran into a weird situation. Some other tradition door etiquette is that the younger adults open the doors for the older, at least when the age gaps are large. An even stronger one is that the employee opens the doors for the boss. My department head was always trying to open doors for me because I was female. And I allowed it, but would have felt more comfortable opening the doors for him because he was three decades older and my department head.

This got posted prematurely. To be continued.

It ducks to get put in a no-win situation where you get criticized no matter what you do, with doors or anything else.

Last Edited:
Hello @bbbass --
I think the word 'misogynist' applies to someone who hates women. It doesn't necessarily track in a one to one way with whether you think men or women have the best or worst deal in some particular context.

I don't think the training of women to defer and of both men and women to consider men as more important and worthy of being heard than any woman in the room has entirely gone away. But I think it is much less than now than it was when I was growing up and going to college. Meanwhile the growth in expressions of contempt for males and even deliberate attempts to try to force boys to be more like the average girl seem to be ever increasing. And that is new. I hate the phrase "toxic masculinity." Nearly everything that gets called "toxic masculinity' just seems like normally healthy behavior to me, more common in males, but not exclusive to them. The K-12 school system has long been rigged in ways against most boys (and Tomboy girls, of which I was one) all along, though.

I certainly don't think men are jerks because they have "been trod on by generations of women." The crapping on men is pretty recent. And most men (and women) aren't jerks. Some people are jerks and some aren't. Its not obvious why.

Back when I was an undergrad and grad student, I considered myself a feminist. By that I meant that I wanted the right to access jobs for which I was qualified. In science. Women were not hired as scientists in that era. I never had any course taught by a female prof. The first time I ever heard a female give a seminar or teach a college course it was I. Being a feminist in that era did not require hating men, though some did. But it wasn't obligatory. Now it seems to be. I have reluctantly decided that I can no longer identify with the word.

I wonder what fraction of parents are trying to suppress the maleness of their baby boys and male children. We certainly read about it and hear about it in the news and social media. However that could be a noisy minority. The young couples I know seem to be taking care to encourage female and male children equally as much as possible. And to allow traditional gender behavior when it suits the individual kid, but to try to be tolerant when it doesn't. The parents that are trying to force boys to be more feminine might be a small minority. I'm more concerned with public school, where the anti-male kick seems ascendant.

Carol

I learned he first day I ever took the Wife shootin, She wouldn't suffer the "Girls Gun" at all! My Bride is most defiantly a Girly Girl, thinks nothing of spending $300 to get her claws sharpened and painted up fancy, but you hand her a "Girls Gun" you better be ready for a fight! That first day, I had all my pistols lined up on the bench and was loading mags and getting the revolvers ready to go, and she asks if she can shoot one, not can you show me how or any of that! She then picks up a 1911 .45 ACP, loads the mag, cycles the slide and proceeded to put all 8 rounds on target! YUP, she is a keeper!

Lesson learned, don't assume anything, let them choose what they want and what they believe best fits their mission!
We went gun shopping the next day and she picked out a Colt New Agent 1911 compact .45 and she still rocks that a bunch even today! She also has nearly as many pistols as I do, and she did her own research and made he choices all on her own! She also has one of the slickest AK pattern rifles I have ever seen, paid a fortune for is, but it's her pride and joy, a fond memory of her childhood days in school back in the mother land where 5th grade students are issued AK's and taught to care for and feed them!

Looking for a concealed carry for my wife. Wondering what the favorite is out there for ease of use, accuracy, etc. what's the general concensus for a woman who has typically only shot .22 in the past and more protection/security minded vs blowing a big hole in a bad guy.
MBR started carrying the Spfld XDS back in 2014, then carried a Kimber 380, didn't like it and went to the Kimber Ultra carry and loves it.

Hello @bbbass --
I think the word 'misogynist' applies to someone who hates women. It doesn't necessarily track in a one to one way with whether you think men or women have the best or worst deal in some particular context.

I don't think the training of women to defer and of both men and women to consider men as more important and worthy of being heard than any woman in the room has entirely gone away. But I think it is much less than now than it was when I was growing up and going to college. Meanwhile the growth in expressions of contempt for males and even deliberate attempts to try to force boys to be more like the average girl seem to be ever increasing. And that is new. I hate the phrase "toxic masculinity." Nearly everything that gets called "toxic masculinity' just seems like normally healthy behavior to me, more common in males, but not exclusive to them. The K-12 school system has long been rigged in ways against most boys (and Tomboy girls, of which I was one) all along, though.

I certainly don't think men are jerks because they have "been trod on by generations of women." The crapping on men is pretty recent. And most men (and women) aren't jerks. Some people are jerks and some aren't. Its not obvious why.

Back when I was an undergrad and grad student, I considered myself a feminist. By that I meant that I wanted the right to access jobs for which I was qualified. In science. Women were not hired as scientists in that era. I never had any course taught by a female prof. The first time I ever heard a female give a seminar or teach a college course it was I. Being a feminist in that era did not require hating men, though some did. But it wasn't obligatory. Now it seems to be. I have reluctantly decided that I can no longer identify with the word.

I wonder what fraction of parents are trying to suppress the maleness of their baby boys and male children. We certainly read about it and hear about it in the news and social media. However that could be a noisy minority. The young couples I know seem to be taking care to encourage female and male children equally as much as possible. And to allow traditional gender behavior when it suits the individual kid, but to try to be tolerant when it doesn't. The parents that are trying to force boys to be more feminine might be a small minority. I'm more concerned with public school, where the anti-male kick seems ascendant.

Carol
Made the mistake of allowing my oldest to go to a private Oregon college. I couldn't have been happier when he decided to leave the school. Only thing that wasn't encouraged was anything normal or decent. It's scary. I know there's some local grade schools that still promote normal decent human values, but they're getting rare. The college/university scene, however, could very well be a lost cause. Lord help us all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top